V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 11, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #22,156 of 23,366
Wanted to give my two cents after reading about you guys talking about the M100s handling loudness, overall tonality, bass rumble. I don't know if it's been brought up a few times already but coming from a DJ perspective, I am thoroughly impressed by how these things retain their sound through a set of earplugs (or VModa's Faders, specifically). The XL earpads wobble a hilariously fun amount when cranked up that loud, but the frequency response is as fun as ever; an E11 does help out the high end a whole bunch though when cranked up. Of course sound stage takes a very large hit, but they're very fun on the decks. HD25s did not sound as fun with earplugs obviously :p

Swivel would be nice, but so far the flexy headband does a good job of letting me monitor with one ear. Tbh I never used the swivel as much on the HD25s, just sorta pushed it to the side most of the times. The headphone is a little too chunky to use behind the head with the standard earpads (though the XL earpads make that possible), just enough clamping pressure to wear it as a headband (and look like an idiot, :p jk I've done it a bunch myself).

I'm a little afraid of dropping them though, in case I scratch or slightly bend any of the metal. So pretty compared to the 25's! LOL

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #22,157 of 23,366
I sold them during summer and got the ER-4.  In comparison, it was kind of, well, bad.  While I had them for a while and got the Q701, I was blown away by the Q701s.  I never used EQ, but I don't think that would fix the problems with their sound.  While the Q701s and the ER-4s can't really handle loud volumes as easily as the M100s can, but the M100s do get muddy at those volumes.  In terms of everything except bass, the M100s were lackluster in comparison.  As I've said before, they're more for a specific audience that wants that sound signature, a mobile over ear headphone, a durable headphone, and think they look good.  The problem comes when you start comparing the sound to headphones or earphones like these.  These things are just outperformed by a mile in certain areas, but preferences exist, and these may sound just amazing to people who love their quirks, but they are certainly a hit or miss headphone.
Also, EQ can introduce unwanted artifacts.

Bro m100 are in the top10 Basshead headphones! If it has sounded bad for you it s because it wasn't amped correctly or you didn't use equalizer well. I own both m100 and the number 1 Basshead jvc sz2000! So be aware that I know what I m talking about and I can tell you that the m100 may be one of the best overall cans for a Basshead. It just need good amp and good equalizer

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #22,158 of 23,366
[Bro m100 are in the top10 Basshead headphones! If it has sounded bad for you it s because it wasn't amped correctly or you didn't use equalizer well. I own both m100 and the number 1 Basshead jvc sz2000! So be aware that I know what I m talking about and I can tell you that the m100 may be one of the best overall cans for a Basshead. It just need good amp and good equalizer

They don't scale very well. Not nearly as well as other gear I have, anyway.
You're not exactly helping your arguments by using someone else's opinion.
I have a friend who owns the SZ2000 and much prefers it over the M100. He also owns the HD800, the Alpha Prime, multiple amps, so he should know what he's talking about :p
EQ is generally only good in small amounts, or it could do some unwanted stuff. And saying I have to like the M100 is like me saying everyone has the like the Beyerdynamic DT990. I did like it until I was exposed to cans that fit my tastes better, and I'm thinking that Whataudiophile might be in the same situation.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #22,159 of 23,366
Bro m100 are in the top10 Basshead headphones! If it has sounded bad for you it s because it wasn't amped correctly or you didn't use equalizer well. I own both m100 and the number 1 Basshead jvc sz2000! So be aware that I know what I m talking about and I can tell you that the m100 may be one of the best overall cans for a Basshead. It just need good amp and good equalizer

Amen, amen, amen!  It's music to my ears to read your post -- especially on this same day that I completed my latest, beloved, brand-new...

DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, Version 3.0

(Click the big link above to relish my latest brand-new invention. Bon appetit!) 
atsmile.gif

Anyway, how do the SZ2000 headphones compare to the M-100s? I've never had a chance to hear the SZ2000s and compare the sound quality. But the bulkiness, and the lack of portability and durability might be weak points for the SZ2000s. What's your take on them?

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #22,160 of 23,366
Amen, amen, amen!  It's music to my ears to read your post -- especially on this same day that I completed my latest, beloved, brand-new...

[COLOR=0066CC]DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, Version 3.0[/COLOR]

(Click the big link above to relish my latest brand-new invention. Bon appetit!)  :atsmile:

Anyway, how do the SZ2000 headphones compare to the M-100s? I've never had a chance to hear the SZ2000s and compare the sound quality. But the bulkiness, and the lack of portability and durability might be weak points for the SZ2000s. What's your take on them?

Honestly the bass of the jvc is on another level. However clarity is not good at all.. So it s not worthy as the m100 already have tremendous bass

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #22,161 of 23,366
Actually, I've heard things about the SZ1000 being a better balance between clarity and bass power.  Not sure if that's true, but it's a fun thought.
They do *coughmeasurethebestoutofthethreeheadphonescough*.

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #22,162 of 23,366
Actually, I've heard things about the SZ1000 being a better balance between clarity and bass power.  Not sure if that's true, but it's a fun thought.
They do *coughmeasurethebestoutofthethreeheadphonescough*.
yes in fact It is. May be worth a test... But imo m100 is just an overall king. Light, portable, tremendous bass, good clarity, durability, price, vmoda customer service, sealing etc.... I bought sz2000 more because I wanted something new. I may end again using my m100s

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #22,163 of 23,366

yes in fact It is. May be worth a test... But imo m100 is just an overall king. Light, portable, tremendous bass, good clarity, durability, price, vmoda customer service, sealing etc.... I bought sz2000 more because I wanted something new. I may end again using my m100s

Oh, what amp are you using for the SZ2000.  They're actually a little power hungry.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #22,165 of 23,366
  I've own m100 for 2 months. And I'm looking for portable amp to pair with it. I'm currently use Fiio X3II. I want more width and depth of soundstage, darker background and better imaging. Any suggestion?

If your music player doesn't have a good customizable 10-band EQ, then I'd recommend a FiiO E12A to use with your M-100s.  It has a good bass boost switch that doesn't color the upper midbass and lower midrange too much.

If your player has a good customizable EQ, then I'd definitely recommend a Cayin C5 with its extra power. It also has a good bass boost switch, but colors the midbass and lower midrange a lot if you don't have an EQ to correct it.

Ultimately, though, I'd recommend getting an iPod Classic, putting Rockbox firmware on it, downloading and installing my beloved 2 sets of 426 EQ presets to use in Rockbox, pairing it with a Cayin C5 amp (with its bass boost switch turned on), and then hearing what heaven truly sounds like through your M-100s! 
wink.gif

(In my 7-year-old 80 GB iPod Classic, I had the battery replaced a year ago and had the circuit boards thoroughly cleaned, and it runs like a champ. I also bought a spare, unused 160 GB iPod Classic off Taobao a couple of months ago for about $250 USD, loaded Rockbox and all my stuff on it, and put it in my bank safe as insurance. Unless Rockbox ever comes out with firmware for the FiiO X5, etc., then I'll be sticking with my beloved iPod Classics forever. Rockbox firmware is the freaking greatest thing since sliced bread, in my opinion.)

Let's see,...the M-100s naturally have an 8-dB low-end sub-bass boost by themselves, the Cayin C5 boosts the low end by 5.5 dB, Rockbox firmware on an iPod has a +12 dB bass boost feature, and on top of all that -- separately -- my illustrious EQ presets in Rockbox can boost the low-end sub-bass by as much as 36.5 dB.

8 + 5.5 + 12 + 36.5  =  up to 62 dB of possible low-end sub-bass boost with good clarity and soundstage! Original masterings of songs from the 1970s & '80s can sound like an absolute dream world. I can even make the rock group Heart's self-titled album (from 1985) pound really hard and throb really deep with excellent soundstage -- all without any coloration of the midbass / lower midrange, and without excessive high-end treble on any of the songs! That's quite a feat to achieve with that album with a portable headphone system.

Nothing in the world even comes close to a Rockboxed iPod tethered to a Cayin C5, played through M-100s.  Nothing!!!  
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #22,166 of 23,366

I've own m100 for 2 months. And I'm looking for portable amp to pair with it. I'm currently use Fiio X3II. I want more width and depth of soundstage, darker background and better imaging. Any suggestion?

If your music player doesn't have a good customizable 10-band EQ, then I'd recommend a FiiO E12A to use with your M-100s.  It has a good bass boost switch that doesn't color the upper midbass and lower midrange too much.

If your player has a good customizable EQ, then I'd definitely recommend a Cayin C5 with its extra power. It also has a good bass boost switch, but colors the midbass and lower midrange a lot if you don't have an EQ to correct it.

Ultimately, though, I'd recommend getting an iPod Classic, putting Rockbox firmware on it, downloading and installing my beloved 2 sets of 426 EQ presets to use in Rockbox, pairing it with a Cayin C5 amp (with its bass boost switch turned on), and then hearing what heaven truly sounds like through your M-100s!  :wink:

(In my 7-year-old 80 GB iPod Classic, I had the battery replaced a year ago and had the circuit boards thoroughly cleaned, and it runs like a champ. I also bought a spare, unused 160 GB iPod Classic off Taobao a couple of months ago for about $250 USD, loaded Rockbox and all my stuff on it, and put it in my bank safe as insurance. Unless Rockbox ever comes out with firmware for the FiiO X5, etc., then I'll be sticking with my beloved iPod Classics forever. Rockbox firmware is the freaking greatest thing since sliced bread, in my opinion.)

Let's see,...the M-100s naturally have an 8-dB low-end sub-bass boost by themselves, the Cayin C5 boosts the low end by 5.5 dB, Rockbox firmware on an iPod has a +12 dB bass boost feature, and on top of all that -- separately -- my illustrious EQ presets in Rockbox can boost the low-end sub-bass by as much as 36.5 dB.

8 + 5.5 + 12 + 36.5  =  up to 62 dB of possible low-end sub-bass boost with good clarity and soundstage! Original masterings of songs from the 1970s & '80s can sound like an absolute dream world. I can even make [COLOR=0066CC]the rock group Heart's self-titled album (from 1985)[/COLOR] pound really hard and throb really deep with excellent soundstage -- all without any coloration of the midbass / lower midrange, and without excessive high-end treble on any of the songs! That's quite a feat to achieve with that album with a portable headphone system.

Nothing in the world even comes close to a Rockboxed iPod tethered to a Cayin C5, played through M-100s.  Nothing!!!   :cool:  

That sounds like a very bold claim.
Also, Fiio X3ii does, in fact, have a 10 band EQ.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #22,167 of 23,366
Ok so if a person could buy these for about $110US brand new is that a good deal these days and how do these handle wind noise?

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #22,169 of 23,366
I own and love a pair of Z7 so bass is OK :wink:

Depending on wind noise (I live in a windy area) these would be my portable alternative. I am currently using a pair of Sony 100AAP but I think I would enjoy the bigger bass of the M100 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back