V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #22,142 of 23,366
  Can't wait to try out the replacement XL pads on my M-100's on X-Mas. Nothing says romantic gift from that special someone better than headphone pads.  

The XL pads turn a fun headphone into a stellar one. They're SO comfortable and it seems to tweak the sound a little bit. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #22,144 of 23,366
Can you elaborate a bit about sound improvement with XL pads !! reduction in harsh highs !! better soundstage etc !!

Iirc, it did make it sound generally a bit better, but it didn't do anything that special. I was more concerned about how I my ears were no longer practically being bruised by the drivers pressing against my ears. They did wonders for the comfort, though it still didnt excel in that area. Beats the heck out of any Beats model, though.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #22,145 of 23,366
  Can you elaborate a bit about sound improvement with XL pads !! reduction in harsh highs !! better soundstage etc !!

It makes the headphone bassier with some more control to the treble if memory serves correctly.  IMO, I didn't like the M-100 with the XL pads.  

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #22,147 of 23,366
I prefer the sound of the m100s w the original pads ever so slightly because of the slightly less bloated bass but the huge comfort improvement makes it worth the slight sound tweak.

That was mainly the issue I had with the XL pads.  I never really had a comfort issue with the M-100s (my ears touch the housing, but barely), so there really is not reason for me to swap the pads :p  I guess I'm blessed to have small ears in this case...  

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #22,148 of 23,366
I have thought about the XL pads for comfort. The sound is already so colored I am not sure a little bit more bass would hurt. I basically use them as my beat up pair when I go to the gym or really don't care if something might happen to them. The XL pads make a huge difference in comfort?

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #22,149 of 23,366
I have thought about the XL pads for comfort. The sound is already so colored I am not sure a little bit more bass would hurt. I basically use them as my beat up pair when I go to the gym or really don't care if something might happen to them. The XL pads make a huge difference in comfort?

If you find the stock pads uncomfortable and need deeper ones, yes, the XL make a difference.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #22,152 of 23,366
Do you mean the subwoofer bass rumble effect that I love? Do you use amp? Do you like deep bass? If you don't reduce the 20-30hz with an equalizer so that the rumble goes away

Thank you for replying.
No.dude. The headphone drivers seem to rattle if I listen to some bass heavy songs with a bit louder volume than normal.Is it because of hair sticking on to the drivers? I use Fiio X5 2nd generation player as an amp(150 ohms) and it goes really loud. Dude, yesterday I bought Superlux HD 681 EVO just to use it casually and roughly and I didn't expect much from it, but to my surprise the bass of it goes deeper than Vmoda m100.So, is it because of Fiio amp that I am not able get deep bass out of Vmoda 100?I mean M100 with Fiio amp can go really loud with no loss of clarity.  With the Fiio player,I get a clear sound out of Vmoda100 and there is bass,but when I take price and hype into consideration and compare Vmoda100 and Superlux HD681EVO together,it seems Vmoda100 is not what it is all cracked up to be. InnerFidelity guy says that Vmoda100 has good bass. I am not saying that Superlux is better than Vmoda as highs and mids of Superlux are a bit harsher,but the bass of Superlux is good and lively.Do you think I should buy a different amp? Does it make one hell of a difference?

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #22,153 of 23,366
Do you mean the subwoofer bass rumble effect that I love? Do you use amp? Do you like deep bass? If you don't reduce the 20-30hz with an equalizer so that the rumble goes away

Thank you for replying.
No.dude. The headphone drivers seem to rattle if I listen to some bass heavy songs with a bit louder volume than normal.Is it because of hair sticking on to the drivers? I use Fiio X5 2nd generation player as an amp(150 ohms) and it goes really loud. Dude, yesterday I bought Superlux HD 681 EVO just to use it casually and roughly and I didn't expect much from it, but to my surprise the bass of it goes deeper than Vmoda m100.So, is it because of Fiio amp that I am not able get deep bass out of Vmoda 100?I mean M100 with Fiio amp can go really loud with no loss of clarity.  With the Fiio player,I get a clear sound out of Vmoda100 and there is bass,but when I take price and hype into consideration and compare Vmoda100 and Superlux HD681EVO together,it seems Vmoda100 is not what it is all cracked up to be. InnerFidelity guy says that Vmoda100 has good bass. I am not saying that Superlux is better than Vmoda as highs and mids of Superlux are a bit harsher,but the bass of Superlux is good and lively.Do you think I should buy a different amp? Does it make one hell of a difference?

It sounds like you seek performance over consumeristic appeal, which is the reason Tyll puts them on the WoF. The Superluxes are a great value, while the M100s are overpriced. I think you should probably get a different headphone. PM me and I'll try to hook you up with one.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #22,155 of 23,366
M100 do rock! Let me see your equalizer settings we will figure it out

I sold them during summer and got the ER-4.  In comparison, it was kind of, well, bad.  While I had them for a while and got the Q701, I was blown away by the Q701s.  I never used EQ, but I don't think that would fix the problems with their sound.  While the Q701s and the ER-4s can't really handle loud volumes as easily as the M100s can, but the M100s do get muddy at those volumes.  In terms of everything except bass, the M100s were lackluster in comparison.  As I've said before, they're more for a specific audience that wants that sound signature, a mobile over ear headphone, a durable headphone, and think they look good.  The problem comes when you start comparing the sound to headphones or earphones like these.  These things are just outperformed by a mile in certain areas, but preferences exist, and these may sound just amazing to people who love their quirks, but they are certainly a hit or miss headphone.
Also, EQ can introduce unwanted artifacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back