V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #19,276 of 23,366
Also, grado sr60(i's) with a few mods the bass absolutely rocks (as in fun). Those got me into hifi. I gave them away because I got the 225s but the 60i's were fun with a capital F

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #19,277 of 23,366

I had earlier said I believed they had some burn in. This post definitely left me re-thinking that. I wonder if that's how people get to thinking headphones are imbalanced one way or another: they adjust to a given headphone's sound signature. Like if I spent a few weeks on a pair of Grados would I think the M100s are a bloated bassy mess? 

I'm convinced that's exactly what it is.
Coming from LP2's, when I first heard the M100's I actually felt they were lacking in bass, but the more I listened to them, everything seemed to open up; bass became more prominent, highs were clear and mids were fine to my ears. Normally that could be considered "burn-in", but if that's the case, how do my second pair of M100's sound exactly the same out of the box? Another example is listening to my ATH-M50's after using the M100's for a good while. I used to think the ATH-M50's were very clear sounding; but after getting used to the M100's, they actually sound a bit muffled.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #19,278 of 23,366

I'm convinced that's exactly what it is.
Coming from LP2's, when I first heard the M100's I actually felt they were lacking in bass, but the more I listened to them, everything seemed to open up; bass became more prominent, highs were clear and mids were fine to my ears. Normally that could be considered "burn-in", but if that's the case, how do my second pair of M100's sound exactly the same out of the box? Another example is listening to my ATH-M50's after using the M100's for a good while. I used to think the ATH-M50's were very clear sounding; but after getting used to the M100's, they actually sound a bit muffled.

Yeah, meanwhile I say the HE-400s and Audeze LCD-2's don't have much bass to them, but people over on the open/bright headphone side says those are "bass heavy". We're coming at it from opposite ends. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #19,279 of 23,366
  Also, keep in mind I am not suggesting that it doesn't exist at all, just that most of the time, when people say they experience "burn in" it is just their mind getting used to a new headphone's sound. Even Tyll has studied it and his tests has shown the phenomenon to be inconclusive. There are changes in the driver, but the questions then become "are these changes within the threshold of human perception" and "can this be consistently obtained." Naturally all headphones will have some physical changes and even the smallest things can have impact on sound (also I'd put good money on the answer to the latter question being "no").

Btw, I can't remember every headphone I did those DBX tests with, but one of the few I could consistently hear a difference in was the HE-400. Inconsistently was, coincidentally, the PX100-IIs. The M-100s, M-80s, the Momentums, 598s, TMA-1s all just didn't change. I hear more of a change from the XL pads than I heard between my personal pair and a brand new out of box pair of M-100s.

Personally I don't believe in driver burn in (but brain burn in is of course a factor to consider). Nevertheless there are other parts of a headphone that do change over time / with actual usage: the pads. When I changed pads on my well-used DT1350 they lost most of their impressive subbass and sounded rather tinny. But like when they were new that ability came back over about two weeks of daily usage as the new pads got softer and isolation got better (I experienced the same effect when I initially bought them).

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #19,281 of 23,366
Personally I don't believe in driver burn in (but brain burn in is of course a factor to consider). Nevertheless there are other parts of a headphone that do change over time / with actual usage: the pads. When I changed pads on my well-used DT1350 they lost most of their impressive subbass and sounded rather tinny. But like when they were new that ability came back over about two weeks of daily usage as the new pads got softer and isolation got better (I experienced the same effect when I initially bought them).

I'm with you on the pads part but for that same reason I also believe in driver burn-in. All mechanical devices wear in and are optimum them wear out. I don't believe it takes hundreds of hours, more likely just a few, but I believe it happens. I'd definitely agree that it's probably at least 80% psychological though.

As for electronics well, I suppose I believe there's an effect but only for the first couple of minutes after power on. As soon as the components reach operating temperature for the first time I believe that's how it's always going to sound. I imagine this might not be the case where valves are used. I hope to find out some day.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #19,282 of 23,366
Does anyone has a consensus on if the XL pads actually change the sound signature or not?  I've read almost all of the comments on this and its all over the place with the results.....I love the current sound of the normal pads but the stock pads hurt my ears after a while and if the XL pads help in 1) comfort and 2) sound leakage, then I'd buy them as long as the sound is the same. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #19,283 of 23,366
General consensus is 'it depends'. I heard no real difference. Others do. A lot depends on your head and ear shape and size.

per Val, they designed them not to change the sound, but he said they can if the stock pads didn't seal well. Also, your ear shape can affect the sound based on how far the driver is away from it.

They're only 20 bucks. Just get them and see for yourself is my advice.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #19,284 of 23,366
Does anyone has a consensus on if the XL pads actually change the sound signature or not?  I've read almost all of the comments on this and its all over the place with the results.....I love the current sound of the normal pads but the stock pads hurt my ears after a while and if the XL pads help in 1) comfort and 2) sound leakage, then I'd buy them as long as the sound is the same. 

Comfort goes a long ways just on its own! If you are constantly thinking of the pain from the headphones, are you really enjoying them.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #19,285 of 23,366
Only using my M100s for 1-2 hours for music :frowning2: It's a shame but my Remix Remote are mostly listened to as the sound quality is good and of course earphones are better for comfort.
Using them a lot for console gaming recently though.

Does anyone has a consensus on if the XL pads actually change the sound signature or not? I've read almost all of the comments on this and its all over the place with the results.....I love the current sound of the normal pads but the stock pads hurt my ears after a while and if the XL pads help in 1) comfort and 2) sound leakage, then I'd buy them as long as the sound is the same.

I made a thread about this.
Yep - They make the sound less in-your-face, they improve etc etc

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #19,286 of 23,366
There was nothing psychological going on...the old and new PX100 simply did not sound like the same headphone before burn in.

There was everything psychological going on. This was not a blind test. You knew before hand which was which. This introduced a bias. This bias affected your perceptions. That's entirely psychological.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #19,287 of 23,366
I got a pair of m-100 a year ago and absolutely loved it.
Am looking for another pair, an open-back one however, as I have a newborn at home and m-100 forbids me hearing the baby crying and my wife calling me (despite I only keep volume around 20).

May I ask for suggestions?
Ideally a pair with signature close to m-100, a fun can richer in bass with clear highs.
Budget is approximately same as m-100 i.e. $300

Many thanks

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #19,288 of 23,366
There was everything psychological going on. This was not a blind test. You knew before hand which was which. This introduced a bias. This bias affected your perceptions. That's entirely psychological.

I was not conducting a scientific experiment.  LOL

The sound was so different that I could have have to the same conclusions in a blind test.  The only bias involved was the fact that I really wanted the PX100-II to replace the PX100...but it did not sound that good before and after the "burn in" period.   Again, I did not have to adjust to a new sound since I was familiar with the PX100 sound.

But I do understand your reasoning.  I'm looking for another new original PX100 -- if I do find one I will do my comparison again, this time I'll use a blind test scenario.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #19,289 of 23,366
  I got a pair of m-100 a year ago and absolutely loved it.
Am looking for another pair, an open-back one however, as I have a newborn at home and m-100 forbids me hearing the baby crying and my wife calling me (despite I only keep volume around 20).

May I ask for suggestions?
Ideally a pair with signature close to m-100, a fun can richer in bass with clear highs.
Budget is approximately same as m-100 i.e. $300

Many thanks

You could try the Beyerdynamic DT 880 or DT 990. Though I don't think they have the same resolution as the M-100, I found them to be pretty good. I think I enjoyed the 880 more than the 990, but it's been while since I've listened to them. The 32 ohm versions go for more money than the 250 ohm ones, but if you have an amp then the higher impedance ones shouldn't be a problem.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #19,290 of 23,366
Again, I did not have to adjust to a new sound since I was familiar with the PX100 sound.

That's a bias. You were expecting something. Therefore you perceived it. That's how human perception works. We see what we expect to see, hear what we expect to hear.

Go watch the Audio Myths Workshop video on Youtube. Really. It's worth the hour of your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back