V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #19,307 of 23,366
Yes, I am aware of this. But if burn-in is a real, measurable thing as these manuals suggest then why don't the manufacturers do it professionally, in-house, before installation or shipment? Why don't they make sure it's done right so that the customer's experience is "perfect" right out of the box?

I would guess that it would be expensive for them to have rows and rows of headphones just sitting there just playing something for hours.  Much easier to package them up in their retail box as they are coming off the assembly line...and to let the consumer do the dirty work.
On the other hand, Apple doesn't publish anything of the sort and Apple is all about the perfect experience starting with opening the box (or even sooner if you purchase at an Apple Store).

What, for their Apple earbuds?  You gotta be kidding.  People will use them or they will not.  Those who end up using them are not really into hi-fi and would not know what burn in is in the first place.

Looking objectively at these two points, I'm on the side of "myth". Burn-in mostly doesn't exist, at least not for modern electronics. Those manuals? Pure expectation bias. The manual says it'll get better. Even if you don't believe in burn-in that bit of information will bias your perceptions.

I would rather take the advise of the engineers who designed the headphone than to listen to what a guy from the sound science forum is saying.  There is probably not a lot we can do to prove that burn in is real, but you can't prove that it is not real either. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #19,308 of 23,366
Mar 15, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #19,310 of 23,366
I'm not arguing burn in anymore. I'm just going to leave everyone with these two articles from InnerFidelity...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

There are tons of variables for this. But in the end, the actual driver doesn't change to such a large degree. If it did, it would be a flawed product. The pads and pressure probably take a larger toll (which is why the XL pads had to be tested extensively to ensure minimum change)

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #19,311 of 23,366
You know what's funny?

I was gonna reply to your "why would they send out products that weren't ready to go" with "why would they say to burn it in in the manual?" and then I realized the answer: for the people who would pay attention to that, they'd be listening to the product for those X hours (as opposed to sitting them on a speaker and leaving them there), and after a while they'd  start to pull the details out of the product's sound signature, acclimate to it, and be under the impression it sounded better.

So... yep. Pretty sure I just shot down my own argument in responding to you, LOL. Well played.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #19,312 of 23,366
  I'm not arguing burn in anymore. I'm just going to leave everyone with these two articles from InnerFidelity...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

There are tons of variables for this. But in the end, the actual driver doesn't change to such a large degree. If it did, it would be a flawed product. The pads and pressure probably take a larger toll (which is why the XL pads had to be tested extensively to ensure minimum change)

Yup, pads, tips, and other things break in with time...  That's part of it, and it makes a world of difference (it's a reason why everyone's regular pads measured slightly different) :p  Drivers as well, as Tyll has shown you can see distortion improvements, but the SQ isn't effected as much (if at all).  But that change in distortion is sometimes audible...

You know what's funny?

I was gonna reply to your "why would they send out products that weren't ready to go" with "why would they say to burn it in in the manual?" and then I realized the answer: for the people who would pay attention to that, they'd be listening to the product for those X hours (as opposed to sitting them on a speaker and leaving them there), and after a while they'd  start to pull the details out of the product's sound signature, acclimate to it, and be under the impression it sounded better.

So... yep. Pretty sure I just shot down my own argument in responding to you, LOL. Well played.

If they ran your product for 200 hours before they shipped it to you, they really can't say it's "new"...  It's like getting a new pair of shoes, they're more comfortable when they are broken in (they flex a little more smoothly and adhere to your foot a little better), but no company is going to break them in for you. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #19,313 of 23,366
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/18360#post_10241142 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]
Can some one suggest another replacement cable for the M100 without the mic and other functions, hopefully for less than $50.00.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderNhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FiiO RC-MH1
NuForce Transient Cable
Beats by Dre Cables (Various)
and the one that most resembles what you're looking for...
Auvio braided audio cable

V-MODA boompro -35 dollars.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #19,314 of 23,366
Can some one suggest another replacement cable for the M100 without the mic and other functions, hopefully for less than $50.00.

Thanks!

I'm using the Nuforce Transient and love it. Leaner bass, no microphonics whatsoever, good build quality, reasonable cost & not orange.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #19,315 of 23,366
I would rather take the advise of the engineers who designed the headphone than to listen to what a guy from the sound science forum is saying.  There is probably not a lot we can do to prove that burn in is real, but you can't prove that it is not real either. 

Then listen to the engineers rather than the marketroids who write the manuals.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #19,317 of 23,366
Any good cables on Amazon? I'm putting together an order and would prefer to have it all there, LOL. 

Again, no mic/controls because I'm using it with a Verza, which means the buttons won't work anyway. :p

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #19,318 of 23,366
You know I keep checking there website and the only one I see is the .2mm one. How do you order a 4 foot one? Do you just contact them?

They haven't restocked their cables in a while. They might have been discontinued. You can try finding them through third-party vendors.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #19,319 of 23,366

Yup, pads, tips, and other things break in with time...  That's part of it, and it makes a world of difference (it's a reason why everyone's regular pads measured slightly different) :p  Drivers as well, as Tyll has shown you can see distortion improvements, but the SQ isn't effected as much (if at all).  But that change in distortion is sometimes audible...

If they ran your product for 200 hours before they shipped it to you, they really can't say it's "new"...  It's like getting a new pair of shoes, they're more comfortable when they are broken in (they flex a little more smoothly and adhere to your foot a little better), but no company is going to break them in for you. 

Fair point. Plus the logistics of running every single product for 50-100 hours before shipping it kinda silly. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #19,320 of 23,366
Fair point. Plus the logistics of running every single product for 50-100 hours before shipping it kinda silly.

Dell does it with every computer they ship. They stress-test everything they build for several days prior to boxing and shipping. So does Apple. So does HP. And probably every other reputable computer manufacturer. It's not silly. It identifies faulty components prior to shipping which saves the companies time and money on dead on arrival and early mortality returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back