V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 21, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #18,707 of 23,366

Thank you for the suggestion ~

However, my budget is now <250 ( I sold my vita on ebay just now... LOL ) so what do ya'll recommend for amp / amp+dac?

Thank you!

Well that's obvious:

JDS Labs C5D...$250.  Works perfect with my new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and with my iPad Air via the Camera Connection Kit.  I love this little amp.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #18,710 of 23,366
  Thank you for the suggestion! I will consider it. :)

I have a really dumb question, though.

I know how to connect it to my Nexus 5... but how do you connect it to a macbook air? lol. 

USB cable from C5D to the USB port on your Air.  And I don't think it works with the Nexus 5.  At least my Nexus 5 doesn't work...with stock 4.4.2.  The nexus recognizes an external DAC but no sound outputs.  I'm not planning on using it that way so no big deal either way, just would be nice if it worked.  It's just the stock android build that doesn't include the correct driver from what I understand.  That's not a C5D issue either...it's every DAC.  It will work however, if you just run a line from the headphone out to the "input" on the C5D or any other amp/dac for that matter.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #18,711 of 23,366

USB cable from C5D to the USB port on your Air.  And I don't think it works with the Nexus 5.  At least my Nexus 5 doesn't work...with stock 4.4.2.  The nexus recognizes an external DAC but no sound outputs.  I'm not planning on using it that way so no big deal either way, just would be nice if it worked.  It's just the stock android build that doesn't include the correct driver from what I understand.  That's not a C5D issue either...it's every DAC.  It will work however, if you just run a line from the headphone out to the "input" on the C5D or any other amp/dac for that matter.

Ah okay @_@ thank you for letting me know in advance.

Well... that's unfortunate. ( regarding N5 ) :frowning2:

Would there be a big difference in sound quality if I connected C5D to my macbook air, though? Sorry... I don't know much about these stuff.

Q#2: I have asus xonar essence stx sound card on my desktop. I wouldn't need C5D for it, right?

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #18,712 of 23,366

[COLOR=0066FF]Ah okay @_@ thank you for letting me know in advance.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0066FF]Well... that's unfortunate. :frowning2:

Would it make much difference if I connected C5D to my macbook air, though? Sorry... I don't know much about these stuff.

Q#2: I have asus xonar essence stx sound card on my desktop. I wouldn't need C5D for it, right?[/COLOR]

The C5D and similar USB Digital-Analog Converter/amps are used as external soundcards. At least from a MacBook Pro, the M-100 sounds cleaner from the C5D. Likewise for your desktop computer, the C5D and similar DAC/amps will act as an external soundcard.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #18,714 of 23,366
Stupid question, and this might not be the best place for it since it doesn't directly concern the m-100, but since we've been discussing amps and dacs that pair well with the m-100 I figure I'll ask it here. Right now I'm using the line out from my ipod classic to my fiio E12 (to my m-100). If I were to instead use the line out of the ipod classic to the C5D's usb input, would I be "double daccing" since the ipod classic already has a dac in it? And if so, would this negatively effect the sound?

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #18,715 of 23,366
I've found an awesome cable for use with the m100's, thesecable are super cheap but the quality of the cable is pretty nice.The jacket is a smooth semi-rubber, they are a little over 3ft. long and the connectors are very compact and fit easily in the m100. Haven't noticed any difference in sound and they come in just about every color you could want including orange.

Here are the cables on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130973786653?var=430185703710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Everyone loves pictures so here is the connector in my m100's

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #18,719 of 23,366

^ Haha.

Btw, do you have a recommendation for a portable music player? Probably gonna get that next after I receive my next paycheck. 

Not really.  I'm not a fan of the audiophile type players (X3, X5, Colorfly, D50, etc.) because I spend a lot of time in Google Music.  So I needed a player w/ wifi access and apps.  So the 5th Gen iPod touch is what I roll with.  The M100 sounds fantastic straight out of it as well...so I don't need to bring the amp along if I don't want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back