V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 21, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #18,736 of 23,366
I guess what I'm asking is: what happens when you plug a DAC into something that already has a DAC? Is that bad? I know double amping is bad but I'm not sure about this.

The DAC/Amp only acts as an amp in those situations, so you're not double DAC-ing - you're only using the DAC from the iPod.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #18,737 of 23,366
I guess what I'm asking is: what happens when you plug a DAC into something that already has a DAC? Is that bad? I know double amping is bad but I'm not sure about this.

Double amping isn't always bad, so long as your source has a clean output. I double amp my J3 with my arrow 4G. but because at max volume the J3's HO is basically the same as a LO, it doesn't make much difference. Every player is different. However, for a DAC you need a LO that bypasses the internal DAC. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #18,738 of 23,366
There's 3 rings around the input jack of the microphone cable, when I plug these into my odac, the middle part of the soundstage is completely gone. When I pull it out a little, everything's back to normal. Any suggestions as to why?

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #18,739 of 23,366
There's 3 rings around the input jack of the microphone cable, when I plug these into my odac, the middle part of the soundstage is completely gone. When I pull it out a little, everything's back to normal. Any suggestions as to why?

The ODAC? Just a DAC?

That happens to me with the Objective 2, except a microphone cable has a 4-ring TRRS connector. I'm guessing the headphone jack has a bad connection with the 4-ring connectors such that one of the internal connecting pins isn't aligned with the 4 rings.

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #18,740 of 23,366

The ODAC? Just a DAC?

That happens to me with the Objective 2, except a microphone cable has a 4-ring TRRS connector. I'm guessing the headphone jack has a bad connection with the 4-ring connectors such that one of the internal connecting pins isn't aligned with the 4 rings.

Yeah pretty much what miceblue said. Not everything can accept a TRRS jack. Probably to cut costs the O2/ODAC were created with a TRS jack. Some FiiO products have the same issue.

If you want a definitive test, just flip the cable so that the TRRS side goes into the headphones and the TRS side goes into the ODAC.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #18,742 of 23,366

Yeah pretty much what miceblue said. Not everything can accept a TRRS jack. Probably to cut costs the O2/ODAC were created with a TRS jack. Some FiiO products have the same issue.

If you want a definitive test, just flip the cable so that the TRRS side goes into the headphones and the TRS side goes into the ODAC.

The ODAC? Just a DAC?

Well I got lazy typing the odac/o2 since I'm on my phone, my apologies >.<

Your solution works kyuuketsuki, thanks for the help miceblue as well. Originally my thoughts were that the objective 2 headphone in port was wearing out, until I noticed the 3 ring instead of the standard 2 ring on my other cables.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #18,744 of 23,366
[COLOR=0066FF]Any advice on how to take out the stock ear pad? I've been trying but I can't manage to get it off... [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0066FF]Edit: OMG one came off... :x now to do the other side...[/COLOR]

Well its easier to watch a youtube video, but normally you put your fingers inside and hold the foam between fingers and palm, you will still find it hard if you try to pull directly upwards, just the trick here to pull upwards and to the center to remove it from under the clips.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #18,745 of 23,366
[COLOR=0066FF]Any advice on how to take out the stock ear pad? I've been trying but I can't manage to get it off... [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0066FF]Edit: OMG one came off... :x now to do the other side...[/COLOR]

Yeah, the key is to get all your fingers inside the cup. I tore mine slightly when I only had 2 of my fingers. Use leverage when pulling off.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #18,746 of 23,366
  Any advice on how to take out the stock ear pad? I've been trying but I can't manage to get it off... 

Edit: OMG one came off... :x now to do the other side...

The trick is to pull the edge inward toward the center first. Gotta clear at least one of the clips and then it gets easy. They don't lift straight out.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #18,748 of 23,366
  In addition to adding the xl pads, I bent the headband just the slightest bit and now the m-100 is easily the most comfortable headphone I've ever owned that still makes a good seal.

I feel like the only person who hates the XL pads. My ears started to hurt like crazy after maybe 15 minutes wearing those things. 

BUT, that's a good thing, because it means V-MODA made two styles that work for different people, so everyone can get what works for them!

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #18,749 of 23,366
I feel like the only person who hates the XL pads. My ears started to hurt like crazy after maybe 15 minutes wearing those things. 

BUT, that's a good thing, because it means V-MODA made two styles that work for different people, so everyone can get what works for them!

Had it not been for the XL pads, I probably would have returned my M-100s. We definitely all have different preferences. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back