V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #18,722 of 23,366
[COLOR=0066FF]I've went ahead and purchased C5D...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0066FF]AND IM OFFICIALLY BROKE! XD[/COLOR]

Congratulations mate, I think you'll love it. Does anyone know here I can buy one on this side of the Atlantic?

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #18,723 of 23,366

^ Haha.

By the way, what do you recommend for portable music player? Probably gonna get that after I receive my next paycheck. 

I'm very happy with my DX50, but it has some quirks that rub some people wrong, so do some research on it if you decide to go this route. I liked it more than the X3, thus why I have the Dx50 and not the X3. Its a no frills music player, but as you will read, sounds great. $250.

Also, unless you have tiny ears, order the XL pads. the stock pads are a joke, and the only thing I (greatly) dislike about the M100's

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #18,724 of 23,366

^ Haha.

By the way, what do you recommend for portable music player? Probably gonna get that after I receive my next paycheck. 

I'm very happy with my DX50, but it has some quirks that rub some people wrong, so do some research on it if you decide to go this route. I liked it more than the X3, thus why I have the Dx50 and not the X3. Its a no frills music player, but as you will read, sounds great. $250.

Also, unless you have tiny ears, order the XL pads. the stock pads are a joke, and the only thing I (greatly) dislike about the M100's

Hm gotta wait til' my M100 is here to see if I need XL pads. Is it easy to do? ( to swap the stock pads with XL )

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #18,725 of 23,366
  Stupid question, and this might not be the best place for it since it doesn't directly concern the m-100, but since we've been discussing amps and dacs that pair well with the m-100 I figure I'll ask it here. Right now I'm using the line out from my ipod classic to my fiio E12 (to my m-100). If I were to instead use the line out of the ipod classic to the C5D's usb input, would I be "double daccing" since the ipod classic already has a dac in it? And if so, would this negatively effect the sound?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean line out via 3.5mm to usb?
Or do you mean ipod pinout to usb? 
This is what I mean by the pinout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psnZmoNznpU

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #18,726 of 23,366

Hm gotta wait til' my M100 is here to see if I need XL pads. Is it easy to do? ( to swap the stock pads with XL )

A little more difficult than some other headphones, but they are swappable with a bit of force.  They snap in.  There are some videos on youtube to help with the process like this one from our buddy miceblue:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgat9VVVLlc

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #18,727 of 23,366

A little more difficult than some other headphones, but they are swappable with a bit of force.  They snap in.  There are some videos on youtube to help with the process like this one from our buddy miceblue:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgat9VVVLlc

Ah okay. That doesn't look too difficult, lol. 

I've always thought miceblue was a girl until I saw that vid... XD LOL.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #18,729 of 23,366

The "trick" is to remember that the pad is held in with a bunch of little plastic "hook" type things all around the edge. So instead of trying to force is straight up, think like you're nudging the pad out from under the hooks by pulling the edge toward the center, THEN up (I suggest the bottom corner). I fought with them for a solid five minutes before I figured that out.

I'll admit the XL pads feel nice, but... they're not really a night and day revelation. They're just a bit comfier. Worth $20? I don't regret the purchase, but I probably wouldn't have bought them if I had sampled a pair with them first. 

Actually, let me play devil's advocate to myself. They look a lot nicer than the stock pads, so that actually does make a difference to me, LOL. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #18,731 of 23,366
I actually ordered the XL pad shortly after MCImes's post just because it wasn't expensive or anything... so the person I talked to said that he'll merge the shipment together and refund the shipping cost. :3 

He also said that both will be shipped today... so I should receive it tomorrow since LA is only 1 hour away from me. :D

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #18,732 of 23,366
just curious but has anyone really used the daisy chain feature? when powering the m100 and another headphone or earphone

of course the signal would decrease but does the quality degrade as well? can this be offset by turning up the volume? or using an portable amp? say the fiio e6?

the reason i'm asking is that the m100 looks like it can really daisy chain 2 other headphones with the m100 (the cable plus the extra line out on the headphones) (not sure how often that is gonna be used but just asking for the sake of asking i guess)

daisy chaining 1 other headphone is probably gonna happen more)

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #18,733 of 23,366
I haven't chained headphones together but I do use the splitter cable on my Mac at work with the fork going to some self-powered speakers.

Splitting a signal doesn't degrade or decrease the signal. What it does do is increase the impedance on the line. All that means is you need a little more power on the source side to offset the increased load. In other words, a little more volume.

With a caveat: dirt and corrosion on the contact points (plugs and jacks) can degrade the signal. Pretty much everyone making audio connectors and cables uses non-corroding plating of some sort so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. Dirty or oily contacts can be a problem so clean the plugs if they're dirty.

It's not a good idea to mix and match different devices without having independent volume attenuation. Setting the master volume loud enough to drive 600 ohm Beyerdynamics without an attenuator on the M-100's will probably blow out the M-100 drivers and maybe rupture your eardrums for good measure.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #18,734 of 23,366
I haven't chained headphones together but I do use the splitter cable on my Mac at work with the fork going to some self-powered speakers.

Splitting a signal doesn't degrade or decrease the signal. What it does do is increase the impedance on the line. All that means is you need a little more power on the source side to offset the increased load. In other words, a little more volume.

With a caveat: dirt and corrosion on the contact points (plugs and jacks) can degrade the signal. Pretty much everyone making audio connectors and cables uses non-corroding plating of some sort so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. Dirty or oily contacts can be a problem so clean the plugs if they're dirty.

It's not a good idea to mix and match different devices without having independent volume attenuation. Setting the master volume loud enough to drive 600 ohm Beyerdynamics without an attenuator on the M-100's will probably blow out the M-100 drivers and maybe rupture your eardrums for good measure.

thank you!! that reply was fantastic! everything i needed to know

oh i guess a portable amp would be more that suffice, (at least for most lower impedence gear)

your example is a bit extreme but that actually helped me understand it! everything i and most of siblings/friends are all low impedence (basically anything u really find in walmart or bestbuy/future shop) i wouldn't think anything is over 40ohms or lower sensitivity than 99.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #18,735 of 23,366
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean line out via 3.5mm to usb?

Or do you mean ipod pinout to usb? 

This is what I mean by the pinout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psnZmoNznpU

I guess what I'm asking is: what happens when you plug a DAC into something that already has a DAC? Is that bad? I know double amping is bad but I'm not sure about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back