V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #12,211 of 23,366
Quote:
I was also expecting much more bass. I've grown to enjoy the lower quantity of bass though, I still want to amp it up though.

It will grow on you and you will notice how nicely it extends and how much texture it has. It really is nice clean bass amped. It's a signature sound because I have never heard this kind of engaging and charming bass on other headphones. The bass is better on these in both quantity and quality then the D2000's ever would hope to be

It is kind of when I got my D2000's I thought they did not have enough bass but then I realized how well the bass extended. they lacked mid bass slam but the bass was there when needed.

M100's have perfect amount of mid bass slam but not in the mid bass realm of the Pro 900.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #12,212 of 23,366
Paired with the Vamp I have had great results.  Mid-range really pops out, bass is even tighter if you can imagine.  I think Craigster has paired with a few others with positive results.  

The best sounding pairing I have heard is Vamp, so the upcoming Verza should be spectacular, especially with bass boost.  My only issue with Vamp is that it is slightly underpowered for the price at 150mw/channel.  It is fine for most music, but for those times when I want to create that virtual club experience in my head, I am running at or near max volume.  I am curious to hear the FiiO E12 as I think it would be a good pairing based on reviews.  Also, the C&C BH might bring out the highs more on the M-100 if that is one's preference.  Both of these are in the $100+ range and will probably be superior to the E11 which also performs well for the price.

You also have to keep in mind that the VAMP is a DAC too so it's rather unfair to compare it to just amps. That plus it's much more expensive than the aforementioned amps and was the reference product in which the M-100's were tuned to, which doesn't necessarily imply a high sound quality.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #12,214 of 23,366
Chuckle490,
I am using the E12 with my AKG Q701. Not the same headphone of course, BUT the amp would tighten the bass and increase detail and help make each instrument more distinct, while also allowing the sound to kick harder. IMO it's a high quality amp, like having a pocket E09k without the dock for FiiO's Amp/DAC combo units. It offers WAY more power than needed to drive the M-100 to listening volume, but having extra headroom has it's benefits.

The bass-boost is apparently under contention right now. Currently, the boost isn't about skewing the balance of frequencies towards bass... It's completely focused on the sub-bass region, reaching down to the limits of human hearing and mostly just making "atmospheric bass" more authoritative by 4 dB. It's very clean, too. Others have asked for the boost to instead compete with the digizoid ZO, with a stronger boost that affects the mid-bass area. I don't have anything against the existence of the ZO, but I like the E12's boost the way it is now, and here's why... It's unique. Atmospheric bass is a new thing to me (when I started following this thread last year, my main headphone was the AD700), and I don't know of any other amp (the E11 is close) with a hardware boost that focuses enirely on sub-bass, leaving the rest of the frequencies to ascribe to the "wire with gain" philosophy. It's a boost I feel I can leave on with almost any song or genre. What do you think?

Full review on this amp coming soon.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #12,215 of 23,366
Hey guys, an upd, ate. In London at the moment and had a chance to try the Sony MDR 1s that have been compared somewhat with the M100s.
Great for electronic but not as good for anything else. The M-100s in particular have much cleaner vocals so it sounds right infront of you. 
No headphone has matched them except for the Momentum. 
I also tried the Amperor and the build didn't appeal to me for the price at all. Sound wise, didn't compare at all. 

So even happier with purchase now. I also tried all beats on display and i still can't see the hype. Mine just blew them all away. Even my friends agreed. 

In London though, alot more range in headphones on people's heads. In Manchester you don't see that. It's either beats or standard. Only a few have I seen real headphones on necks or on heads. 
Saw a few beats but nothing in comparison
No one had mine =p

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #12,216 of 23,366
I'm waiting for a great DAC/AMP now though. The C&C BH though seems great but it is just an amp. At the moment, I'm happy with the PA2V2. Need to add shielding though as it picks up electronic interference from my S3, especially when connected to net even with phone not plugged in. 

For 60 though it may be worth a shot in the near future. 

But a DAC seems more likely

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #12,217 of 23,366
Quote:
Chuckle490,
I am using the E12 with my AKG Q701. Not the same headphone of course, BUT the amp would tighten the bass and increase detail and help make each instrument more distinct, while also allowing the sound to kick harder. IMO it's a high quality amp, like having a pocket E09k without the dock for FiiO's Amp/DAC combo units. It offers WAY more power than needed to drive the M-100 to listening volume, but having extra headroom has it's benefits.

The bass-boost is apparently under contention right now. Currently, the boost isn't about skewing the balance of frequencies towards bass... It's completely focused on the sub-bass region, reaching down to the limits of human hearing and mostly just making "atmospheric bass" more authoritative by 4 dB. It's very clean, too. Others have asked for the boost to instead compete with the digizoid ZO, with a stronger boost that affects the mid-bass area. I don't have anything against the existence of the ZO, but I like the E12's boost the way it is now, and here's why... It's unique. Atmospheric bass is a new thing to me (when I started following this thread last year, my main headphone was the AD700), and I don't know of any other amp (the E11 is close) with a hardware boost that focuses enirely on sub-bass, leaving the rest of the frequencies to ascribe to the "wire with gain" philosophy. It's a boost I feel I can leave on with almost any song or genre. What do you think?

Full review on this amp coming soon.

Could you, perchance, give me a quick comparison of the E12's bass boost to the E11's? I need a bit more kick and sub bass rumble with my M-100's and I find that the E11 does not provide enough power to be able to give me that. I find myself often times turning the volume to 5 on the E11 with the bass boost on 1 and low gain on, just to satisfy my bass needs. I cannot decide whether I want to get the ZO and double amp with E11 (A highly regarded rig in the Basshead thread), or get the E12. If the E12's bass boost is comparable with the E11's bass boost on 1 then I could be tempted to get it. I was also looking at the BH but I don't think it would provide as much bass as I would like.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #12,218 of 23,366
Chuckle,
James of FiiO said the Mont Blanc was designed to have a bass boost similar to the E11. I haven't heard the E11 to be honest. However, I do know the E12 bass boost pretty well. The boost only has one level. I already described what that boost is like. The power across the freq range that the E12 brings makes a difference in bringing headphones to their potential even before the boost, and then that boost brings up the lowest bass. I really can't speculate if it'll be enough for you, but I haven't yet seen anybody who has owned an E12 who has commented that they wished for more bass.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #12,220 of 23,366
Cool. Now you just gotta decide if you want to buy the current version, the less subtle version that may come out later, or the DIY version that'll come out some day you could tune however by buying new parts. Whichever version, it definitely offers about 3x the output power of the E11.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #12,221 of 23,366
C&C BH and Fiio E12 headed to my house this week.  I'll post up some impressions asap.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #12,222 of 23,366
I can't make any claims on the E12, but just because an amp has more power doesn't necessarily mean it sounds better.
Quote:
Some headphones have higher than 600 ohms.

Loudness is determined by output level, headphone impedance, and headphone sensitivity—usually given as a figure like 95 dB SPL / 1 mW power input.  For sensitivity, some headphones go below 90 dB SPL / 1 mW, while some IEMs are more like 120 dB SPL / 1 mW.  This is a huge span, so focusing on impedance alone is ignoring a very important factor.  Some 600 ohms headphones are less sensitive than the Beyerdynamics or whatever you may be thinking about.  Because of the low sensitivity, the ~50 ohms HE-6 needs a higher voltage than 600 ohms Beyerdynamics to reach equivalent loudness.  Because of the low impedance and P = V^2 / Z (power equals voltage squared divided by impedance), that means the HE-6 needs a whole lot more power than those Beyerdynamics, for example.  Higher-impedance headphones are easier to drive in general , except that they need a higher voltage equivalent power levels (again, see P = V^2 / Z).  Amplifiers will usually have more problems with lower-impedance headphones, because more current is required and because of potential output impedance issues.

Non-idealities in amplifiers (intended by the designer or not) mean that there is some difference in signal produced between different amplifiers, particularly at different operating conditions, so sound quality can be affected.  Most people will point to different amps sounding different, and this is the big draw behind having different amplifiers—though maybe in reality, differences are less than people think.  In controlled listening environments, fair comparisons, comparisons with different amps under bedsheets, the ability for people to correctly identify different amps is diminished (though not to zero of course, for certain combinations)...

Some amps look nice; some people like having volume knobs to turn.  There are reasons other than sound quality to get an amp, though most people try to talk about sound quality.

A common situation these days is to have people using but a fraction of the output power of an amplifier (e.g. 10 mW out of a possible 500 mW @ 50 ohms), and they say they don't like the sound they get from their headphones.  Particularly for planar magnetics, the common response seems to be to get a different, even more powerful amplifier (e.g. capable of 2000 mW @ 50 ohms), with the claim that you need more power.  That's bullocks.  You can try something different, but unless you're running your current amp out of its comfort zone, the sound is not a result of lack of power.  It's more likely that someone just doesn't like a certain headphone's sound, which is a-ok.  There are other headphones out in the world.

So to answer the question in the title, higher output power is needed if you want to listen louder.  Headphone sensitivity and impedance determine how loud they will play for a given setting on an amplifier.  If you max an amp out and want more volume, or if the amp is distorting at higher levels, you want more power.  Otherwise, no.

In my opinion, the race for high output power headphone amps is mostly a marketing sham.  People generally are not using the extra power.  It is very convenient for amp manufacturers that there is a lack of understanding among consumers about what electric power means.  An amp capable of higher output power may or may not sound subjectively more "powerful", with more "authority", and so on with the buzzwords.

The big buzz word for the E12 is its high output power. Most portable amplifiers supply more than enough power to drive a headphone, even with the E7's "mere" 150 mW at 16 Ω. A sensitive, low impedance headphone like the M-100 doesn't need much power at all to drive it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #12,223 of 23,366
Well I bit the bullet; they should arrive on Wednesday.  I'll be listening to them mostly through my Droid Bionic- once in a while at home depending on how good they sound.  Might inspire me to get a portable amp, with the increasing amount of dac/android compatibility.  If I don't like them, I'll be returning them for the Sony MDR 1Rs

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #12,224 of 23,366
QuoSony 
Originally disappointing VergeUnify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I bit the bullet; they should arrive on Wednesday.  I'll be listening to them mostly through my Droid Bionic- once in a while at home depending on how good they sound.  Might inspire me to get a portable amp, with the increasing amount of dac/android compatibility.  If I don't like them, I'll be returning them for the Sony MDR 1Rs

The Sony MDR 1s are dissapointing in comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back