V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #12,200 of 23,366
Me either, I love it, just saying I was expecting a higher quantity also! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #12,201 of 23,366
hey guys,

I have a question for people w/ the vmoda m100 & experience with portable amps. what portable amps would you suggest to pair with these headphones & how noticeable of a difference would it cause?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #12,202 of 23,366
Quote:
hey guys,

I have a question for people w/ the vmoda m100 & experience with portable amps. what portable amps would you suggest to pair with these headphones & how noticeable of a difference would it cause?

Thanks!

Paired with the Vamp I have had great results.  Mid-range really pops out, bass is even tighter if you can imagine.  I think Craigster has paired with a few others with positive results.  

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #12,203 of 23,366
I was considering these, but went with the DT770 80's (as I knew I wanted strong bass, but not into basshead levels)

Hearing more feedback I'm thinking that was likely a good move. 

Still on my list for the future depending on how the reviews continue and if the price dips / used units come up at a decent price.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #12,204 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
hey guys,

Thanks!

Paired with the Vamp I have had great results.  Mid-range really pops out, bass is even tighter if you can imagine.  I think Craigster has paired with a few others with positive results.  

And I'm pairing it with a C&C BH with great results - the slight brightness, added clarity, and huge soundstage compliment the M-100 very well imo. 

I don't think there's an amp that the M-100 doesn't scale well with from what I've been reading. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #12,205 of 23,366
Dear all,

I am thinking of getting a Schiit Audio Valhalla headphone amplifier to go with my M 100 http://www.head-fi.org/t/516551/review-schiit-audio-valhalla-tube-headphone-amplifier . Nuforce icon 2 is in my consideration as well. 

Please advice thank you.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #12,206 of 23,366
Quote:
Dear all,

I am thinking of getting a Schiit Audio Valhalla headphone amplifier to go with my M 100 http://www.head-fi.org/t/516551/review-schiit-audio-valhalla-tube-headphone-amplifier . Nuforce icon 2 is in my consideration as well. 

Please advice thank you.

I would advise against pairing the M-100's with a tube amp as tube amps typically have a high output impedance which creates a poor damping factor for low-impedance headphones and is not optimal for the highest sound quality. Tube amps are best for high-impedance headphones (100+ Ω). Having a low damping factor typically boosts the bass and makes it looser for dynamic headphones.

I haven't heard the NuForce Icon 2, but I've listened to the Icon 1 and wasn't too impressed by it. If you're looking for a DAC/amp combo, I would probably look into either the Schiit Audio Magni/Modi or the Objective 2/Objective DAC. The Objective combo was significantly better-sounding than the Icon 1 from my experience. If you're interested in the Objective combo, you can read all of the gory details about its "sound" on the designer's blog, whose website is illegal to post here (you can just Google "objective 2" and it's the top search result).

Quote:
hey guys,

Thanks!

The FiiO E11 has high regards with the M-100 based on impressions on this thread.

The FiiO E7 also pairs nicely with the M-100's but its amplifier isn't as good as the E11. It slightly increases instrument separation and makes the bass a little more punchy.

The Objective 2 also sounds fabulous with the M-100 if you consider it a portable amplifier. It definitely is an improvement over the E7 and it makes instruments more clearly defined as well as widening the soundstage.

For a superb bass-boost without killing the rest of the audio spectrum, the digiZoid ZO2 is a great amp for that purpose.

The JDS Labs cMoyBB also has positive impressions based on what people said in this thread.

FiiO is releasing a new amplifier to follow the E11 soon, the E12. Likewise, JDS Labs is releasing a new amplifier to follow their C421, the C5.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #12,207 of 23,366
Quote:
Dear all,

Please advice thank you.

Icon 2 isn't really a fair comparison there, as it is primarily a speaker amp.  I would compare with the HDP, which is a pretty well regarded headphone amp in a similar price range as the Valhalla. I have been pretty impressed with mine.  Heard great things about the Valhalla as well.  

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #12,208 of 23,366
Quote:
How fast is the delivery through the V-Moda site? (US speaking)

Also with custom shields being done? If I ordered tonight or Sunday night how soon will they come to my door?

Not sure now, but mine took 2 full weeks during Christmas.  I know the wait feels long, but trust me it will be worth it at the end.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #12,209 of 23,366
Quote:

The best sounding pairing I have heard is Vamp, so the upcoming Verza should be spectacular, especially with bass boost.  My only issue with Vamp is that it is slightly underpowered for the price at 150mw/channel.  It is fine for most music, but for those times when I want to create that virtual club experience in my head, I am running at or near max volume.  I am curious to hear the FiiO E12 as I think it would be a good pairing based on reviews.  Also, the C&C BH might bring out the highs more on the M-100 if that is one's preference.  Both of these are in the $100+ range and will probably be superior to the E11 which also performs well for the price.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #12,210 of 23,366
FYI...for those used to the compact size of the E11 (like me) just be aware that the E12 is much larger in comparison. So if I decide to upgrade I'll go with the C&C BH.

E12 / E11

E12 / C&C BH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back