V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #11,552 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Might be the gauze cuz I'm having the same effect. There's one track I had to restart like 5 times before I felt confident there wasn't a ghost police car behind me chirping his siren. Wish I remembered the name of that track.

So do I! I would love to compare :p Remember damn it :D

I spent the entire subway ride skimming through my playlist lol. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYwYCj9Zeuo&hd=1

PM me if you're not willing to give YouTube quality the benefit of the doubt lol I have it in 320 mp3

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #11,553 of 23,366
Quote:

I spent the entire subway ride skimming through my playlist lol. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYwYCj9Zeuo&hd=1

PM me if you're not willing to give YouTube quality the benefit of the doubt lol I have it in 320 mp3

Found it on Spotify, in 320kbps

Woooooow, okay, this track is a lot more spaced out than I've currently known... the bass, ahhh....

It doesn't sound exactly behind me, behind me but certainly to the very far left, but the drive by bit with the engine directly after the 2 siren sounds, sounds like its coming from behind me. Rather like those headphone tests.

You know a good album I've just found to test the quality? U2 - October. That album is pretty impressive. Found it whilst searching for best music tracks to test stereo seperation haha, and came across a site listing some tracks to test speaker systems.

So does, Deadmau5 - Superliminal. I think I've mentioned it on here, but the snares... and the overal spaciousness.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #11,554 of 23,366
^I'm definitely making a note of this track for future reference testing.

That tractor engine tripped me out too, it comes in from the left then takes a turn behind you. Then the bass kicks in 
size]

Can't say much else for that track, I find it rather slow and anti climatic, but the first 15 seconds are a sonic treat. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #11,555 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
You've got a point there. I always wrap it near the 45-degree angle jack when i don't need it. XD

I must emphasise again at how awesome the M-100's are for mobile listening. I've been doing a lot of it in the past few days.

Plus with the LP/LP2 pads?

I'm still confused as to what I would gain. I have small ears, and a small head, so I don't have to make any adjustments to the size. I have it on one click, or none, depending on how tight I want the fit.
I have to have tissues in the pads however to maximize the sound quality, which gets better over a few days, as the tissue compresses/hardens.

Does that mean a larger pad would do the opposite of what the tissues do now, and actually make my sound problem worse, or correct the problem because the tissues absorb sound (I'm guessing) as would the larger pads, being bigger?.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was using the stock earpads without any paper towel pieces.
As for the XL pads, I'm not quite sure what to expect either. Should be interesting though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #11,556 of 23,366
One good song to listen to for spatial stereo is - Queen - The Prophet's Song from 3:20 onwards

Interesting certainly. Certainly worth a try to give them a try. I'll be frightened to pull the pads off at first.

Roger Waters - Amused To Death

That is another album that really tests out the 3D sound, given that it uses QSound 3D techniques in its production.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #11,557 of 23,366
Quote:
One good song to listen to for spatial stereo is - Queen - The Prophet's Song from 3:20 onwards

Interesting certainly. Certainly worth a try to give them a try. I'll be frightened to pull the pads off at first.

Roger Waters - Amused To Death

That is another album that really tests out the 3D sound, given that it uses QSound 3D techniques in its production.

That Queen song is a good demo track, personally I wouldn't listen to it for enjoyment though. 3:20 and onwards gets really old really fast for me. XD
Speaking of imaging, how 'bout an Image Game?

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #11,558 of 23,366
Quote:
That Queen song is a good demo track, personally I wouldn't listen to it for enjoyment though. 3:20 and onwards gets really old really fast for me. XD

Listening to that now. Spotify seriously has everything :p

The ending shows the imaging the best. The rest of the song is very well spaced though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #11,559 of 23,366
Seeing as i may get some more money soon, i'm thinking about buying these (i was planning to get them around christmas, but got the he-400's instead). Sound signature seems to be somewhat like the he-400's, with a dark sound between the both of them (though the he-400's obviously do them better). Would they be the best for me at the price range? Listen to a lot of EDM and Radiohead.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #11,560 of 23,366
Quote:

They don't have Canada allowed to use their service. That's something they don't have 
size]

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #11,562 of 23,366
I just realised something. When the paper towel, or gauze, pieces are placed under the earpad lip, the _ pieces actually block the filter material right under the earpad to some extent. People have reported the gauze pieces affect the sound less, perhaps this is because gauze is more fibrous/porous/"holy"/less dense than a tightly rolled-up paper towel piece.

^ where the _ pieces might go

^ what's behind the filter

This is all just speculation, and is something I literally just noticed after going through my photos.
ear -> earpad lip ->_ pieces -> back of the earpad -> acoustic filter -> earcup enclosure/headphone jack circuit -> earcup V-PORTs -> felt material -> shield V-PORTS -> outside surrounding

Since the felt piece is pretty much glued in-place, perhaps the difference in sound is due to the other side of the earcup being reversibly modified. I can't say for sure since I don't know anything about it, but if this is a reason why the _ pieces change the sound, I don't think the XL pads will offer this kind of difference in sound.
Also, should the new XL pads come out, I have to wonder if the change in sound, if any, is truly due to the fit of one's ears in the earcup, or if it's the earpad's stuffing itself since the stiffer LP/LP2 pads that I have really do affect the sound.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #11,563 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

The ending shows the imaging the best. The rest of the song is very well spaced though.

Another artist I like for soundstage testing is Yosi Horikawa's music.
http://yosihorikawa.bandcamp.com/album/wandering-ep

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #11,564 of 23,366
so my first post here on head-fi... and just because i wanted to say i love yosi horikawa!

but a bit more on topic. my ultrasone hfi-580's died on me, so i was looking for new headphones. and because of this forum and the various descriptions of the sound signature of these headphones, i ordered the m-100 and like them a lot! they're pretty much what i was looking for. but i also bought the akg k-167 and thought i would give one of them away. but now i like both for different kinds of music. k-167 for soul and v-moda for electronic music. and just out of curiosity i bought the ultrasone hfi-780, because i saw them very cheap on an ebay like platform here in switzerland... the moral of the story. i set out to buy a new pair of headphones, and now, because of this forum, i have three (almost bought the sennheiser hd25-1 II also)... and even though, i bought the right headphones for my desire on the basis of descriptions here in the forum. i feel that only now, since i own more than one headphone and can compare them with my own music, i understand what you guys are talking about :)

sorry, hope this makes a little sense. i'm really tired and should go to sleep...

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #11,565 of 23,366
Quote:
so my first post here on head-fi... and just because i wanted to say i love yosi horikawa!

but a bit more on topic. my ultrasone hfi-580's died on me, so i was looking for new headphones. and because of this forum and the various descriptions of the sound signature of these headphones, i ordered the m-100 and like them a lot! they're pretty much what i was looking for. but i also bought the akg k-167 and thought i would give one of them away. but now i like both for different kinds of music. k-167 for soul and v-moda for electronic music. and just out of curiosity i bought the ultrasone hfi-780, because i saw them very cheap on an ebay like platform here in switzerland... the moral of the story. i set out to buy a new pair of headphones, and now, because of this forum, i have three (almost bought the sennheiser hd25-1 II also)... and even though, i bought the right headphones for my desire on the basis of descriptions here in the forum. i feel that only now, since i own more than one headphone and can compare them with my own music, i understand what you guys are talking about :)

sorry, hope this makes a little sense. i'm really tired and should go to sleep...

Ah, as a first time poster, you should get a proper Head-Fi greeting.

Hello, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
tongue_smile.gif

*and yeah I should get to bed too...got to wake up early to catch the bus. >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back