V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #11,537 of 23,366
Quote:
not to put too fine a point on it, but this is one of the most BS "rules" in the retail world and i want it to go away entirely. its good business sense to make customers happy obviously, but there are definitely limits, and its pretty asinine to expect companies to bend over backwards at your every whim/complaint especially when the business stands to lose a bunch of money/time filling the request. sorry if i sound bitter but this is coming from years of retail experience!
biggrin.gif

anyway back to the topic. i do think vmoda was being somewhat misleading but if possible i'd really like to hear some clarification from the man himself. pretty sure it's a misunderstanding.

There is definitely some validity to your point, coming from a decade+ retail guy like myself.  My opinion on the matter is that it is a great statement for retailers to follow, but it was never meant to be taken literally.  The customer IS always right, meaning that their opinion is the only one that matters.  If they feel that they have been wronged, it is up to you to make it right.  They are the ones that get to write history when they tell their friends about their experience, or post an online review.  It is our job to do everything we can to make their experience a positive one.  Every retailer has a different opinion of how to do that, but the goal is typically pretty similar.  

I too am convinced this is primarily a misunderstanding, or just a simple oversight.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #11,538 of 23,366
Here's my $0.02

In retail there's this little thing saying that ends up being beneficial for consumers; THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Absolutely not.

Moot point. Read the top three anecdotes and these are ignorant and disgruntled customers, not customers wishing for a service to be honoured, and that's totally different. I sympathize for retail employees who deal with crabby people who just want to speak to a manager because they feel entitled to a service that doesn't exist or they're panicky and take it our on customer service, but when a service that's advertised is being denied, the customer is totally entitled to what's being offered

not to put too fine a point on it, but this is one of the most BS "rules" in the retail world and i want it to go away entirely. its good business sense to make customers happy obviously, but there are definitely limits, and its pretty asinine to expect companies to bend over backwards at your every whim/complaint especially when the business stands to lose a bunch of money/time filling the request. sorry if i sound bitter but this is coming from years of retail experience! :D

anyway back to the topic. i do think vmoda was being somewhat misleading but if possible i'd really like to hear some clarification from the man himself. pretty sure it's a misunderstanding.

There is definitely some validity to your point, coming from a decade+ retail guy like myself.  My opinion on the matter is that it is a great statement for retailers to follow, but it was never meant to be taken literally.  The customer IS always right, meaning that their opinion is the only one that matters.  If they feel that they have been wronged, it is up to you to make it right.  They are the ones that get to write history when they tell their friends about their experience, or post an online review.  It is our job to do everything we can to make their experience a positive one.  Every retailer has a different opinion of how to do that, but the goal is typically pretty similar.  

I too am convinced this is primarily a misunderstanding, or just a simple oversight.  

+1

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #11,540 of 23,366
Quote:
Just FYI, I picked up one of these bobino cord wraps for the extra long black cord, keeps it neatly out of the way. http://us.mybobino.com/products/cord-wrap

...or you can use one of the Velcro ties that came with the M-100 cables, which is much less bulky to carry around and easier to unwrap/unravel.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #11,542 of 23,366
....And easy to lose :darthsmile:

You've got a point there. I always wrap it near the 45-degree angle jack when i don't need it. XD

I must emphasise again at how awesome the M-100's are for mobile listening. I've been doing a lot of it in the past few days.

Never owning a true smart phone before and with my Clip Zip being useless without a microSD card, I find the SpeakEasy cable really convenient for iPhone music control and navigation (via Voice Control which no one uses sadly). I don't have to look dumb while calling someone because of the cable's microphone (it really looks awkward when someone has headphones/earphones on and they have to hold the bottom of their phone to their mouth to call someone...as if they want to eat their phone; om nom nom). The rather stiff cable still gets in the way though and always sticks out in random directions out of my pocket.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #11,543 of 23,366
Quote:
You've got a point there. I always wrap it near the 45-degree angle jack when i don't need it. XD

I must emphasise again at how awesome the M-100's are for mobile listening. I've been doing a lot of it in the past few days.

Plus with the LP/LP2 pads?

I'm still confused as to what I would gain. I have small ears, and a small head, so I don't have to make any adjustments to the size. I have it on one click, or none, depending on how tight I want the fit.
I have to have tissues in the pads however to maximize the sound quality, which gets better over a few days, as the tissue compresses/hardens.

Does that mean a larger pad would do the opposite of what the tissues do now, and actually make my sound problem worse, or correct the problem because the tissues absorb sound (I'm guessing) as would the larger pads, being bigger?.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #11,544 of 23,366
Does anyone get the sense that the sound is coming from a little bit behind them in the soundstage? Perhaps its because of the gauze. I put a fair amount in. How do I know it's not blocking the drivers or something?

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #11,545 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone get the sense that the sound is coming from a little bit behind them in the soundstage?

No, but I do get a very wide sound stage. The sound gets pretty close to the back. Probably more to the far sides, but it does envelope you.

Listen to DeadMau5 - Superliminal from his new album - Album Title Goes Here.

The sound is amazing on this track, and really shows how the sound stage can go wide.

That snare sounds amazing, and the whole overall reverbs that are in the synths.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #11,547 of 23,366
Quote:
I've been buring them in for over 24 hours now, and I'm noticing subtle improvements in the mids and highs. How many hours are recommended?

Quite a few. You may find doing the pad mod a worthy thing to do too. Give it a few days, and the sound really opens up as they compress. If the sound does sound better with them in, it may be  a case that you need the bigger cushions (I believe).

I find myself lowering the bass by around 1-2db, and then upping the mids also by around 1db, and the trebles by about 2db. The sound becomes much more balanced.

The bass is still almost just as strong. It just helps, but I think it all depends on your ears/ear shape.

But the sound for me now is damn near perfect, simply running through the S3. I may aim for the Verza and call it quits.
Job done.

http://v-moda.com/lp-lp2-memory-cushions/
? Hmm... it all depends how different the sound is, and if the XL pads that are coming will be bigger (and so not as good for me)

I may actually get a grey one to go with the Shadows... or would that just look stupid lol.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #11,550 of 23,366
Does anyone get the sense that the sound is coming from a little bit behind them in the soundstage? Perhaps its because of the gauze. I put a fair amount in. How do I know it's not blocking the drivers or something?

Might be the gauze cuz I'm having the same effect. There's one track I had to restart like 5 times before I felt confident there wasn't a ghost police car behind me chirping his siren. Wish I remembered the name of that track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back