V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #10,142 of 23,366
Quote:
Glad everyone is finally receiving their M-100's. I still haven't recieved my VTF-100's. It's been 2 months now... Some lucky person prolly is wearing them and doesn't even know what they have. I contacted V-Moda Support and there is nothing they can do being is how they arrived at my house before my wife tried to send them to me in Afghanistan. Tried to PM Val but never got a response back. Looks like I am riding out this deployment with no headphones. Hope everyone enjoys them. Happy early X-Mas guys....

That's awful! Good luck out there, have a happy Christmas regardless...

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #10,143 of 23,366
Quote:
I found the LP/LP2 earpad a bit smaller in size, but more comfortable to wear because the pads were stiffer than that of the super-soft M-100's.
Roughly measuring the size of the earpads shows that they're slightly different as well.

I think you may have unintentionally hit the nail on the head here, V-Moda upgraded the material (plush cushions) but didn't account for the fact that they'd compress more and so wouldn't be as comfortable for folks with larger ears (such as myself). However, I've noticed they're more comfortable AND sound better if I rest them so the cushions are ever so slightly pressing against my ears... I can also wear them for 5+ hours, which is good enough for me.

EDIT: Been using an M-100 playlist for a while on Spotify - link for whosoever may be interested:

http://open.spotify.com/user/adilkarim/playlist/6MQLe1eK8RZCKKXGT0qUgP

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #10,144 of 23,366
Quote:

I was expecting less detail, honestly. But so far, this is one of the most detailed headphones I have personally owned. I hear sooo many things I was unable to hear before. And the bass is a little overpowering at a high volume, but my ears are a bit sensitive so I like it around 50-60% with these. I had to go 70-80% with my last pair to get as much sound, with less detail.

Hmm... I am totally unsatisfied with the service though, I got 2 screws for my shields instead of a full set-- and the lazer engraving messed up my design by skipping over lines that were visible in the image I sent, making it look super crappy. However, I am satisfied with the overall product (for now, still need to test them more!). I hope when (if?) they fix my order that I'm not left too long without them due to holiday delivery times. . . . . !

I think part of the issue with the people that say it lacks detail is that they are confusing volume in the mids for detail (imo).  There is detail in all frequency regions with most vocal detail and some instrument detail being in the mids.  That doesn't mean that all detail is in the mids though -- there is plenty of bass and treble detail... However, for the M-100, with the mids being considered slightly recessed compared to the bass/treble, it's easy to perceive a lack of volume as "poor detail".  If I look at a headphone with poor detail though I think of the driver's/design's inability to react appropriately to the music being presented, causing fast transients and other nuances to be lost.  For instance, there is a fast bass drum line on a classical/opera song I listen to.  With a lot of headphones, you can't hear the hammer hitting the drum and there are a lot of other instruments going on in the background that tend to get drowned out because of the large presence of the bass drum....to me, that's poor detail.  The M-100 doesn't have that problem in any frequency regime for the music I listen to.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #10,146 of 23,366
Quote:
Both do a nice job with mids and highs.  The M-100 stands out on the low end with significantly more authoritative bass and sub bass that is tight.  As I have come to the conclusion I am a basshead who appreciates quality sound throughout the range, I have a strong preference for the M-100 sonically.  The P5 is more comfortable with less clamping force and is supra-aural.

Just from that one sentence I know exactly what's up, and I'm sure our preferred signatures are similar. I can't get a good answer in the basshead club thread; they all care only about bass, not the rest of the spectrum.

I'm hoping your analysis will put my doubts at bay for how well the M-100 will suit my sonic needs. I'm still a little worried about the recessed mids, but nothing a little modding and ZO can't handle 

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #10,148 of 23,366
Quote:
Amazon is emailing individual coupon codes for 10% off purchases of $300 or more and they are in stock, so if you can get the code, you can pick up the M-100 for $270! (Since they are individual codes, I am saving mine.)

I think individual codes vary. Possibly by how much you use Amazon, not sure. But my code was 10% off of a maximum purchase of 100$ -- so 10$ off maximum. =)

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #10,149 of 23,366
Quote:
I think part of the issue with the people that say it lacks detail is that they are confusing volume in the mids for detail (imo).  There is detail in all frequency regions with most vocal detail and some instrument detail being in the mids.  That doesn't mean that all detail is in the mids though -- there is plenty of bass and treble detail... However, for the M-100, with the mids being considered slightly recessed compared to the bass/treble, it's easy to perceive a lack of volume as "poor detail".  If I look at a headphone with poor detail though I think of the driver's/design's inability to react appropriately to the music being presented, causing fast transients and other nuances to be lost.  For instance, there is a fast bass drum line on a classical/opera song I listen to.  With a lot of headphones, you can't hear the hammer hitting the drum and there are a lot of other instruments going on in the background that tend to get drowned out because of the large presence of the bass drum....to me, that's poor detail.  The M-100 doesn't have that problem in any frequency regime for the music I listen to.

Would you mind saying what song it is so I can do some comparing? :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #10,150 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I was expecting less detail, honestly. But so far, this is one of the most detailed headphones I have personally owned. I hear sooo many things I was unable to hear before. And the bass is a little overpowering at a high volume, but my ears are a bit sensitive so I like it around 50-60% with these. I had to go 70-80% with my last pair to get as much sound, with less detail.

Hmm... I am totally unsatisfied with the service though, I got 2 screws for my shields instead of a full set-- and the lazer engraving messed up my design by skipping over lines that were visible in the image I sent, making it look super crappy. However, I am satisfied with the overall product (for now, still need to test them more!). I hope when (if?) they fix my order that I'm not left too long without them due to holiday delivery times. . . . . !

Hm you make a good point there.
Going from what Stereophile and Head-Fi define "detail" to be:
Quote:
detail The subtlest, most delicate parts of the original sound, which are usually the first things lost by imperfect components. See "low-level detail." Compare "haze," "smearing," "veiling."

Quote:
Detail - The most delicate elements of the original sound and those which are the first to disappear with lesser equipment.

Quote:
Detailed - Easy to hear tiny details in the music; articulate. Adequate high frequency response, sharp transient response.

So your thoughts of detail seems to be about right, lesser equipment loses detail. On the other hand, I and others have found the bass to veil the lower-mids a bit, which does cause some loss of details at a relatively overall equal volume level. That's why I had such a hard time volume-matching the M-100 to the MDR-V6 because I don't know what part of the frequency spectrum to match it to; I ended up doing a rough job at determining the overall volume.

At roughly the same overall volume level, the M-100's have a loss of details in the upper-treble (again I don't know what musicians call this, Tyll of Innerfidelity says it's the highest octave) and the lower-midrange and midrange as a whole loses some details because they are veiled by the bass and laid back respectively (Tyll said "Audiophiles will note this fairly quickly and hear the mids as a bit withdrawn and veiled").

In this way, that's how I determined that the M-100 is:
Quote:
well textured and detailed, but due to the laid back midrange and upper-treble, the resolution of detail isn't as good as what other headphones might offer (mainly headphones with a forward midrange and more treble presence) at the same volume level.

^ and I guess because of this I should define what "same volume level" means.

Of course you can volume match any headphone at a particular frequency and compare the level of detail there, but then you wouldn't be listening to the headphone, you would be listening to that particular frequency. E.g. I can volume-match the M-100's upper-treble frequencies to that of the SRH940, but then that would be an insane amount of volume pumping through the M-100 and it wouldn't be a very good comparison as a whole.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #10,151 of 23,366
kind of annoyed that I don't know when my preorder will ship, but I could order from amazon and know that it would arrive on Tuesday.
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00A39PPI0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355080944&sr=8-6

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #10,152 of 23,366
Quote:

Just from that one sentence I know exactly what's up, and I'm sure our preferred signatures are similar. I can't get a good answer in the basshead club thread; they all care only about bass, not the rest of the spectrum.

I'm hoping your analysis will put my doubts at bay for how well the M-100 will suit my sonic needs. I'm still a little worried about the recessed mids, but nothing a little modding and ZO can't handle 

As some additional reassurance, I consider the mids spot-on for my taste.  Let me know what you think when you hear them.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #10,154 of 23,366
Quote:
kind of annoyed that I don't know when my preorder will ship, but I could order from amazon and know that it would arrive on Tuesday.
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00A39PPI0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355080944&sr=8-6

But then you're without the extras of preordering. worth the wait imo, but I'm pretty patient, and I love me some bonus swag.

Quote:
Hey, did anyone order with Google Wallet and have their order ship? Mine hasn't shipped yet, and I'm scared that it might be due to using Google Wallet  :frowning2:

Well there was a fake site going around offering Google Wallet as the only payment method, and it was a scam, but I used it on the real site and I got my confirmation a few days ago. 

It is the weekend though, so I'm confident Monday will have a WHOLE LOT of shipping confirmations. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back