V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #10,126 of 23,366
Hmm.. I'm kind of sad :frowning2:
I went to open my M100 box, pulled it out, unzipped it, and bam, sexy pair of m100s...
Cept they were shadow, not Matte Black like I ordered (I didn't order wrong, even the slip says Matte Black, but they came in Shadow).
Now I'm not sure what to do, and I can't put my custom shields on these until they fix my order.
Guess I'll contact customer support and see what they say.

P.S. I JUST got them, and since I already opened them I figured I'd take a listen and wow, they sound amazing listening to my first song out of the box. Lindsey Stirling: Anti Gravity. I was expecting something totally different from what reviewers were saying, but it's pretty orgasmic. Way better than my 40$ 40MM driver pair, although the mids in those were better-- but they produced essentially no bass.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #10,127 of 23,366
Glad everyone is finally receiving their M-100's. I still haven't recieved my VTF-100's. It's been 2 months now... Some lucky person prolly is wearing them and doesn't even know what they have. I contacted V-Moda Support and there is nothing they can do being is how they arrived at my house before my wife tried to send them to me in Afghanistan. Tried to PM Val but never got a response back. Looks like I am riding out this deployment with no headphones. Hope everyone enjoys them. Happy early X-Mas guys....

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #10,128 of 23,366
So I just got home and I was like holy crap that package must be the m100s... I can't think of anything else I ordered... then I get trolled a figure out that it was just a random DVD player I forgot about  D: Gah just got trolled so hard lol

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #10,129 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm.. I'm kind of sad :frowning2:
I went to open my M100 box, pulled it out, unzipped it, and bam, sexy pair of m100s...
Cept they were shadow, not Matte Black like I ordered (I didn't order wrong, even the slip says Matte Black, but they came in Shadow).
Now I'm not sure what to do, and I can't put my custom shields on these until they fix my order.
Guess I'll contact customer support and see what they say.

P.S. I JUST got them, and since I already opened them I figured I'd take a listen and wow, they sound amazing listening to my first song out of the box. Lindsey Stirling: Anti Gravity. I was expecting something totally different from what reviewers were saying, but it's pretty orgasmic. Way better than my 40$ 40MM driver pair, although the mids in those were better-- but they produced essentially no bass.

Yeah Anti-Gravity is one of my favourites. :wink:

Wait, what were you expecting out of the M-100 based on the reviews? That's an indication that the reviews must be way off or something.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #10,131 of 23,366
Quote:

Wait, what were you expecting out of the M-100 based on the reviews? That's an indication that the reviews must be way off or something.

I was expecting less detail, honestly. But so far, this is one of the most detailed headphones I have personally owned. I hear sooo many things I was unable to hear before. And the bass is a little overpowering at a high volume, but my ears are a bit sensitive so I like it around 50-60% with these. I had to go 70-80% with my last pair to get as much sound, with less detail.

Hmm... I am totally unsatisfied with the service though, I got 2 screws for my shields instead of a full set-- and the lazer engraving messed up my design by skipping over lines that were visible in the image I sent, making it look super crappy. However, I am satisfied with the overall product (for now, still need to test them more!). I hope when (if?) they fix my order that I'm not left too long without them due to holiday delivery times. . . . . !

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10,132 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I was expecting less detail, honestly. But so far, this is one of the most detailed headphones I have personally owned. I hear sooo many things I was unable to hear before. And the bass is a little overpowering at a high volume, but my ears are a bit sensitive so I like it around 50-60% with these. I had to go 70-80% with my last pair to get as much sound, with less detail.

Hmm... I am totally unsatisfied with the service though, I got 2 screws for my shields instead of a full set-- and the lazer engraving messed up my design by skipping over lines that were visible in the image I sent, making it look super crappy. However, I am satisfied with the overall product (for now, still need to test them more!). I hope when (if?) they fix my order that I'm not left too long without them due to holiday delivery times. . . . . !

Ah I see. I did write that the M-100's are fairly detailed in the Pro's section of my review, and I mentioned:
Quote:
The M-100's are well textured and detailed, but due to the laid back midrange and upper-treble, the resolution of detail isn't as good as what other headphones might offer (mainly headphones with a forward midrange and more treble presence) at the same volume level.

As for the shield kit, yeah I was surprised that mine came with 6 screws, 2 of which are black instead of silver. However, I think these screws are supposed to be back-up screws, so you really wouldn't need more than 6. Two screws seems like a slight problem though. Have you contacted V-MODA support?

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #10,133 of 23,366
Quote:
Ah I see. I did write that the M-100's are fairly detailed in the Pro's section of my review, and I mentioned:

As for the shield kit, yeah I was surprised that mine came with 6 screws, 2 of which are black instead of silver. However, I think these screws are supposed to be back-up screws, so you really wouldn't need more than 6. Two screws seems like a slight problem though. Have you contacted V-MODA support?

Hmmm, I must have missed that review. Probably because you put yours in spoilers a lot and I wasn't sure how to work those at first, lol. *New to hi-fi* But thanks for the input. I am actually aware there are some in the similar price ranges that have better detail, but I got the V-moda's because I sometimes fall asleep with my headphones on and there have been a few times where I have woke up with them broke and I had to keep replacing them lol. I think these would be okay to fall asleep with and roll on if they fall off lol xD! Are there any other durable headphones you would recommend that have better detail?

Also, I'm not too worried about the screws or whatever. I'm more worried about getting my Matte blacks instead of these Shadows. I feel like I can't abuse the shadows because they technically aren't mine. lol. I contacted V-Moda about the Matte blacks. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow during their office hours and give details. :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #10,135 of 23,366
Quote:
How much better is the detail with the paper towel mod, how much less is the bass, how much wider does it make the soundstage, and does it make the highs more piercing?

Detail retrieval is better since the bass is reduced (less veiling of the lower-mids), midrange as a whole is a few steps forward, and the upper-treble is increased slightly.

How much less bass...I can't really measure the bass quantity, but it's more noticeable with my original mod than with DigitalFreak's mod. I actually threw out my paper towel pieces since it was too cumbersome for me to install/uninstall, so I mostly use DigitalFreak's mod. The bass is slightly reduced with his mod, but it retains the more-forward midrange as my mod. With my mod, the treble was more pronounced too, so DigitalFreak's mod is right in-between the unmodded M-100 and my mod.

Again, I can't measure the soundstage width, but from this diagram (M-100 on the left), θ1 is a bit wider and less deep (making it closer to θ2). I use Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2" and Ottmar Liebert's Up Close album for soundstage size. Consequently, imaging is better with the mod.

^ red X is the listener, black lines indicate the boundaries of the sound stage in terms of depth and width, blue lines indicate the range at which the listener might "see" the sound stage in his/her head (θ is the angle of this projection; smaller angle means less width)
In a binaural recording, the listener can hear sounds all around him/her as opposed to just "in front" or "behind"

No it doesn't make the highs more piercing. I've found it to increase the upper-highs, so cymbals have more texture/details. I probably wouldn't like it if the highs were more piercing.

My original mod made the bass reduced even farther, midrange was about the same or half a step forward, the upper-treble was increased even further, put more air between instruments, and the soundstage was wider and less deep. As a result of this mod, the sound was much more balanced and the imaging was more accurate. I only wish it weren't so cumbersome to install. >.>

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #10,136 of 23,366
I know this may be like apples and oranges, but I am dying to know how the M-100 compare to the Bowers & Wilkins P5?

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #10,137 of 23,366
Quote:
I know this may be like apples and oranges, but I am dying to know how the M-100 compare to the Bowers & Wilkins P5?

Both do a nice job with mids and highs.  The M-100 stands out on the low end with significantly more authoritative bass and sub bass that is tight.  As I have come to the conclusion I am a basshead who appreciates quality sound throughout the range, I have a strong preference for the M-100 sonically.  The P5 is more comfortable with less clamping force and is supra-aural.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #10,139 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone using M100 without amp? Is sq worth the price? Or M80 would be way to go?

Quote:
I'm planning to get a portable amp for my m-100 with IPC
JDS ComyBB, JDS C421, Fiio E11....Anyone used these amp before? which one is more suitable for m-100?

When traveling light, I use the M-100 without an amp and can drive to satisfyingly loud levels.  I never max out the volume on my Iphone 4.  Most of the time, I listen through my FiiO E11 which provides a significant bass boost with slightly more clarity in the mids and highs.  I don't have amp comparisons other than the Ifuzen, but I am highly satisfied with the pairing of the E11 with the M-100 as it really brings out the bass without becoming muddy or loose.  The FiiO E12 Monte Carlo portable amp should be out by the end of year and cost under $150.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #10,140 of 23,366
Amazon is emailing individual coupon codes for 10% off purchases of $300 or more and they are in stock, so if you can get the code, you can pick up the M-100 for $270! (Since they are individual codes, I am saving mine.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back