V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #9,632 of 23,366
Quote:
Basshead to me, signifies a headphone that only cares about bass, and that is something I believe the M-100 doesn't do.

Then you're being to negative about it. Though I do agree the m100 cares about more than just good bass.

A good "basshead" headphone to me is one that slams hard in the bass and has good control, but does it at the least expense to being faithful to the music otherwise. And it has to do it with the quality of the music it's being fed, which can be hard to listen to with some slightly bright, bass-light audiophile headphones. 

It's tough because as soon as you really emphasize the bass, something's gonna suffer. With the M-100 it's the slightly muffled mids. It also is very forgiving in the treble, which though  somewhat artificial sounding is cheerful and sparkling without being harsh. That's good for ****ty recordings and compression artifacts. 

They're not audiophile headphones because they're not neutral, articulate, and transparent. But they're fun as hell.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #9,633 of 23,366
Quote:
It also is very forgiving in the treble, which though  somewhat artificial sounding is cheerful and sparkling without being harsh. That's good for ****ty recordings and compression artifacts. 

That's one thing that completely slipped my mind whilst trekking through my hastened writeup.  Compression artifacts were less noticeable on the M-100 than the M4U 1 and K550 making it my recommendation for those with predominantly lossy MP3 libraries and/or an affinity for streaming services. (Spotify, Pandora, etc.)

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #9,634 of 23,366
Quote:

That's one thing that completely slipped my mind whilst trekking through my hastened writeup.  Compression artifacts were less noticeable on the M-100 than the M4U 1 and K550 making it my recommendation for those with predominantly lossy MP3 libraries and/or an affinity for streaming services. (Spotify, Pandora, etc.)

I use Spotify and don't find it at all 'lossy'. I'm using the premium though, so I get full quality, on both PC and mobile devices.
I'd rate the quality as pretty excellent, and certainly wouldn't notice a difference myself between CD and it.

Since the compression artifacts are less noticeable though; does that mean that the headphones are not that detailed?

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #9,635 of 23,366
Amongst everyone's arguments about audiophilia and whether or not the M-100 is subjectively 'good' or not, here's my two-cents in a rather long review video.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #9,637 of 23,366
Amongst everyone's arguments about audiophilia and whether or not the M-100 is subjectively 'good' or not, here's my two-cents in a rather long review video.

Great review Leon!

I 100% agree with your opinion and could not be happier with the M-100's paired with the ZO2.

But do you think I should try out the paper towel mod?

I never had a issue with the comfort but now I'm curious about how it would sound to me when paired with the ZO2. Would you say the ZO2 returns the bass punch to where it was when it was not modded?

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #9,638 of 23,366
Quote:

Love that track!!! :D

I do really find it distracting how much she dances though, and in the way she does!

I agree on both parts...I loved the song, but had to minimize the video... between the dancing and her bow movements not even being close to the notes being played it drove me nuts.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #9,639 of 23,366
Quote:
I agree on both parts...I loved the song, but had to minimize the video... between the dancing and her bow movements not even being close to the notes being played it drove me nuts.

LOL!
At least she is good looking! :p

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #9,640 of 23,366
Quote:
Great review Leon!
I 100% agree with your opinion and could not be happier with the M-100's paired with the ZO2.
But do you think I should try out the paper towel mod?

I never had a issue with the comfort but now I'm curious about how it would sound to me when paired with the ZO2. Would you say the ZO2 returns the bass punch to where it was when it was not modded?

Yes, the ZO2 compliments the paper towel mod signature change perfectly.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #9,641 of 23,366
Excellent review Leon I mostly agreed with everything you said. I also loved the touch of humor you started the video off with, it's nice to have a good laugh.

For anyone interested, today I received the Leckerton UHA- 6 MKII amp. I've been only had a couple of hours with the new amp paired with the M-100 but so far so good. I'm starting to see why others on here meant by the MK II having a cleaner amp section then the UHA-4. I'm going to be doing some extensive listening with this amp and the M-100 as well as some op amp rolling to see where it leads. I'll check back sometime towards the end of the weekend.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #9,643 of 23,366
I really want these!!! But after my brother came home with a Beats Solo, I am afraid of bassy headphones. I know solos aren't even good bass and it drowns out everything else, but still! One thing they do well is isolation and dat bass extends deeper than my M-80. Extend means produces lower notes right? Well thats what I meant.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #9,644 of 23,366
Quote:

Love that track!!! :D

You've got me to like her music, and I'm trying to purchase the album. I won't download MP3 though (I'd prefer to buy the CD and rip it myself in that case), so I want it FLAC, but no where is offering it in FLAC form from what I can see, except for illiegal downloads, and I'm not going that route!
Not on Spotify, and Amazon.co.uk lists the new album as an import at 30 odd quid!!!

I do really find it distracting how much she dances though, and in the way she does!

Yeah I'm kind of bummed out about the non-lossless download option too.

Quote:

She dances like no one is watching!

Quote:

LOL!
At least she is good looking! :p

I uploaded some videos from the concert I went to.

Quote:

Nice video review! I like how you put the topics at the top of the video, very useful indeed. :)

So that's how DigitalFreak does it...this will be useful in the future.

OK, back to studying. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back