V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6,676 of 23,366
I don't mind the semi-off topic discussions, it keeps the thread alive! Anyways, any talk helps alleviate me from thinking of the "close" shipping date of our vtf's :p 

It's not like we have anything else to talk about here. There's been no new news for days now.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #6,677 of 23,366
All of this *kinda* links back to the M-100's anyway. Worst case, it alleviates people from worrying about when their limited edition no-one-else-is-gonna-get-this-for-months headphone is showing up in the next week or two

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #6,678 of 23,366
I'm returning my MOMENTUMs tomorrow and grabbing an O2/ODAC combo from JDS. I think that will conclude my audio purchases until the M-100 is available for purchase. :)

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #6,679 of 23,366
Quote:
All of this *kinda* links back to the M-100's anyway. Worst case, it alleviates people from worrying about when their limited edition no-one-else-is-gonna-get-this-for-months headphone is showing up in the next week or two

Well, I am going to beat a dead horse since nothing seems to be happening.  Assuming customer service knows nothing about VTF-100s, they said the M-100s will be arriving in 1-2 weeks.  While they are "sold out" for 70 days, they are not sold out to end users, just to the distribution chain, so are we really getting these any earlier than the general population by the time they ship?  They may be available for purchase on Amazon in two weeks which is about the same time we will get them at this rate.  The extras are nice, but the main reason I preordered was to receive them in advance of mass production.  Having access to "inside information" is only of value if the information provided is accurate.  I suppose all will be good once they ship, but until then I am not a happy camper.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6,680 of 23,366
Hey, so I'm new to the whole high-end headphone scene, and I'm waiting on the M-100s as my first purchase. I was gonna get an E11 amp for these to use with my Galaxy SII, but it seems like I'd need a DAC/AMP for better yield? I'm probably going to spend about $50 on this, is an E7 a better choice?

On the other hand, I MIGHT be able to land a deal for a Galaxy SIII, which has a built in DAC? Would that mean I'd only need an amp like the E11? Sorry, as these are my first purchases, I don't understand how all of it works completely.

I can't wait for the release of the M-100s... I'm stuck with a pair of Solo HDs I got as a gift while back :/

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #6,681 of 23,366
Quote:
Well, I am going to beat a dead horse since nothing seems to be happening.  Assuming customer service knows nothing about VTF-100s, they said the M-100s will be arriving in 1-2 weeks.  While they are "sold out" for 70 days, they are not sold out to end users, just to the distribution chain, so are we really getting these any earlier than the general population by the time they ship?  They may be available for purchase on Amazon in two weeks which is about the same time we will get them at this rate.  The extras are nice, but the main reason I preordered was to receive them in advance of mass production.  Having access to "inside information" is only of value if the information provided is accurate.  I suppose all will be good once they ship, but until then I am not a happy camper.

Well a few things. First, time to ship to LA is always a big factor. 1-2 weeks is probably a good guestimate at this point seeing as Val is going through each headphone and each headphone needs to A) be repackaged and B) be paired with the shields we ordered (which begs the question as to where the group shot is but hopefully it shows up at some point). Logistics and other things also need to get in gear, but I always imagined that we'd only get them at most a month before the general populace gets their hands on them.

So what do we get? Well, I suppose you could order the faders and shields and stuff on your own if you must. But with the company head soundchecking them? Yeah I guess that's pretty cool.

Me? I'll be living life like this

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #6,682 of 23,366
Quote:

So what do we get? Well, I suppose you could order the faders and shields and stuff on your own if you must. But with the company head soundchecking them? Yeah I guess that's pretty cool.

Didn't Val say something about custom shields being included with current units like the Lp2s and M100s? I remember reading something on the V-Moda website too about some shield customization being included.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #6,683 of 23,366
I hope Val realizes that taking a group picture is going to take hours since they need to be reconnected to the original owner after spreading them out. The guys just need to take a picture of each of them as they roll out and 'shop them all together in a big picture.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #6,684 of 23,366
GROUP PIC
The issue is the Brushed Black plates, we are awaiting those.  The rest are done.

SHIPPING
I have the tracking # and the units arrive LA office WEDNESDAY.  I'll test through the weekend, sign off and as long as everything is Kosher (wish I am sure it is), they will start shipping from LA -> YOU on Monday.  Then I will go on my press tour.

Lots of work ahead!

-V

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #6,685 of 23,366
Quote:
GROUP PIC
The issue is the Brushed Black plates, we are awaiting those.  The rest are done.

SHIPPING
I have the tracking # and the units arrive LA office WEDNESDAY.  I'll test through the weekend, sign off and as long as everything is Kosher (wish I am sure it is), they will start shipping from LA -> YOU on Monday.  Then I will go on my press tour.

Lots of work ahead!

-V

Awesome, good to hear!  Looking forward to it!  I guess I probably won't get mine well into October though, I hope it's all worth the wait!

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #6,686 of 23,366
I've been lurking this thread for a while, as it seems to be the only source of information on the M-100's. I keep seeing mentions of orders being shipped and some posts about pre-orders. No links appear to be on the V-Moda website to pre-order, so I'm assuming this offer has expired. I sent back my LP2's in late August because I heard that the M-100's were about to be released. Since then it's been delay after delay (which is fine: I love that you care about the final product). Nonetheless, a realistic time would be nice.  For those of us who did not make the pre-order, about what time can I expect to receive these headphones?

Looking forward to purchasing the M-100's, keep up the hard work Val!

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #6,687 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey, so I'm new to the whole high-end headphone scene, and I'm waiting on the M-100s as my first purchase. I was gonna get an E11 amp for these to use with my Galaxy SII, but it seems like I'd need a DAC/AMP for better yield? I'm probably going to spend about $50 on this, is an E7 a better choice?

On the other hand, I MIGHT be able to land a deal for a Galaxy SIII, which has a built in DAC? Would that mean I'd only need an amp like the E11? Sorry, as these are my first purchases, I don't understand how all of it works completely.

I can't wait for the release of the M-100s... I'm stuck with a pair of Solo HDs I got as a gift while back :/

Like I, and many others, have mentioned:
  1. Line out dock (LOD) to mini-jack/plug DAC/amps only bypass an iDevice's audio DAC (FiiO E17 for example). The external DAC/amp only acts as an amplifier at this point. These types of DAC/amps are generally priced at < $250
  2. LOD to USB DAC/amps bypass both an iDevices audio DAC and amp (Fostex HP-P1 for example). The external DAC/amp then does all of the audio processing. These types of DAC/amps are generally priced at the $500 point.
  3. mini-jack to mini-jack merely provides double amplification to your audio signal

Thus, unless the Galaxy SIII has a line out option, or you decide to root it to output USB audio, it's not worth buying anything for it really. If you can plug in headphones and hear music, it has both a DAC and an amp.
The E7 is good as an external computer soundcard (DAC/amp), but otherwise it will just act as an amp.

Quote:
GROUP PIC

SHIPPING

Lots of work ahead!

-V

Thanks for the update Val.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #6,688 of 23,366
Quote:
GROUP PIC

SHIPPING

Lots of work ahead!

-V

Oh boy, reminds me of the day when UC apps are open... thanks for the update Val 
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #6,689 of 23,366
Quote:
Like I, and many others, have mentioned:
  1. Line out dock (LOD) to mini-jack/plug DAC/amps only bypass an iDevice's audio DAC (FiiO E17 for example). The external DAC/amp only acts as an amplifier at this point. These types of DAC/amps are generally priced at < $250
  2. LOD to USB DAC/amps bypass both an iDevices audio DAC and amp (Fostex HP-P1 for example). The external DAC/amp then does all of the audio processing. These types of DAC/amps are generally priced at the $500 point.
  3. mini-jack to mini-jack merely provides double amplification to your audio signal

Thus, unless the Galaxy SIII has a line out option, it's not worth buying anything for it really. If you can plug in headphones and hear music, it has both a DAC and an amp.
The E7 is good as an external computer soundcard (DAC/amp), but otherwise it will just act as an amp.

But you guys said something about how it's different for rooted Android devices, right? Someone said something about how that opens up cheaper options.

So I take it that, if an external DAC/amp DOES bypass the original device, the soundchip in the phone won't matter anymore? Or does the external add to it?

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #6,690 of 23,366
Quote:
GROUP PIC

SHIPPING

Lots of work ahead!

-V

Weren't they shipping like last wednesday or something like that on the v-moda twitter? Also, brushed black plates being an issue five weeks after the orders? Seems kinda funky to me.

I think someone also mentioned the shields being a hassle to coordinate in one giant photo? Well this seems to work pretty well and has everyone's shields lined up (although I'm sure some people like me asked for two different shield designs so we'll see how that ends up working)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back