V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 24, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #6,646 of 23,366
Quote:
Someone mentioned the Meizu MX-4 Core, how does the DAC in it stack against the one in the Galaxy S3 and the other way around? 
Is it worth going for the Meizu just because of the sound?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I gotta tell ya, the DAC is pretty darn good.

Innerfidelity says there's some issues with the Meizu MX-4 Core when downsampling music:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sound-smartphone-meizu-mx-4-core

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #6,647 of 23,366
I still cannot believe you can't change the shipping address and method.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #6,648 of 23,366
Quote:
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I gotta tell ya, the DAC is pretty darn good.

Innerfidelity says there's some issues with the Meizu MX-4 Core when downsampling music:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sound-smartphone-meizu-mx-4-core

I see, okay, thanks for the info. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #6,649 of 23,366
Quote:
I see, okay, thanks for the info. 

I think I read somewhere that the S3 has the same DAC as the Meizu. If you are willing to root the S3 you can also get it to output USB audio too btw so seems like a much safer package. I am considering getting the Note II and trying that, when it comes out.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #6,650 of 23,366
Quote:
I think I read somewhere that the S3 has the same DAC as the Meizu. If you are willing to root the S3 you can also get it to output USB audio too btw so seems like a much safer package. I am considering getting the Note II and trying that, when it comes out.

I'm very much leaning towards the Nokia Lumia 920, but I hear it has a terrible soundchip. Will the E17 override that? 

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #6,651 of 23,366
I too really was interested in the 920, but leaned back towards the galaxy range when i heard about their audio. Perhaps the 920 can also output usb audio but probably only if its rooted like the Samsungs. Otherwise you will only be able to amp the sound and i dont think there is a line out so you would end up dual amping... Not ideal really.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #6,652 of 23,366
Thanks for the amp/DAC information everyone. Right now, I am learning towards picking up a FiiO E11 and L9 adapter for my ipod classic/iphone4. the question I have is whether or not I'll notice a huge difference since I've gathered that this is solely an amp and not an amp/DAC combo. Would I be better off spending the extra dough on the FiiO E17 since that will act as a DAC as well or is the ipod/iphone DAC pretty good by default? 

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #6,653 of 23,366
Quote:
I too really was interested in the 920, but leaned back towards the galaxy range when i heard about their audio. Perhaps the 920 can also output usb audio but probably only if its rooted like the Samsungs. Otherwise you will only be able to amp the sound and i dont think there is a line out so you would end up dual amping... Not ideal really.

do you mind providing more information on this? I was looking forward to the 920, but this may be the final straw for me. At the least, I hope the 8x's DAC is quality
triportsad.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #6,654 of 23,366
Quote:
do you mind providing more information on this? I was looking forward to the 920, but this may be the final straw for me. At the least, I hope the 8x's DAC is quality
triportsad.gif

Might not be, it does have the "Beats" logo on it, which usually means bollocs, be the 1.5 volt amp is welcome indeed.
I'd really like a good DAC with a superb camera though, the Lumia just looks so promising. 
I believe it was a user in this thread that said the Lumias soundchip was worse than the iPhone 4s's and that's pretty darn horrible.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #6,655 of 23,366
Quote:
Might not be, it does have the "Beats" logo on it, which usually means bollocs, be the 1.5 volt amp is welcome indeed.
I'd really like a good DAC with a superb camera though, the Lumia just looks so promising. 
I believe it was a user in this thread that said the Lumias soundchip was worse than the iPhone 4s's and that's pretty darn horrible.

Wait, are they basing their assumption off the Qualcomm S4 intergrated sound? I was under the impression that they can bypass the chipset's DAC and implement their own, no?

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #6,656 of 23,366
Quote:

The E17 won't bypass the Iphone DAC.  The DAC would allow you to run your Iphone through other devices like your PC.  If you want to bypass the Iphone DAC, you would need Vamp.  That is one of the reasons is it so much more expensive.  I'm okay with the Iphone's DAC, but opinions vary.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #6,657 of 23,366
Quote:
The E17 won't bypass the Iphone DAC.  The DAC would allow you to run your Iphone through other devices like your PC.  If you want to bypass the Iphone DAC, you would need Vamp.  That is one of the reasons is it so much more expensive.  I'm okay with the Iphone's DAC, but opinions vary.

I'm not using an iPhone and I absolutely hated the sound, that's why I switched phones in the first case. So no 3.5mm jack can provide DAC input for the E17? That must be done via USB, am I right? (This is my first DAC so I don't know.) It will just be used as an AMP for phones then?

Quote:
Wait, are they basing their assumption off the Qualcomm S4 intergrated sound? I was under the impression that they can bypass the chipset's DAC and implement their own, no?

Yes, it was based upon that, I'm certaintly no expert on this subject so I don't know, I hope that's the case! :) 

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #6,658 of 23,366
The E17's DAC will only work with a computer, a rooted phone, anything with an optical out or possibly an iPad with camera attachment. It will only be able to use its amp with a normal / off-the-shelf phone (unless its a Meizu). Ideally the amp would be used with a phone that can offer a line-out (like the iPhone), otherwise you will be amplifying your sound twice (once with the phone's amp and once with the external amp - not ideal but will work).

Personally I wouldn't bother just amping, I find the real benefits are when you use a DAC as well. Also for me systems like the vamp really only come into their own as transportable devices rather than portable ones. Using it outside or anywhere there is noise and you would lose most of the benefits, so for me the money is better spent on a desktop rig, which are almost always better value.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #6,659 of 23,366
Quote:
The E17's DAC will only work with a computer, a rooted phone, anything with an optical out or possibly an iPad with camera attachment. It will only be able to use its amp with a normal / off-the-shelf phone (unless its a Meizu). Ideally the amp would be used with a phone that can offer a line-out (like the iPhone), otherwise you will be amplifying your sound twice (once with the phone's amp and once with the external amp - not ideal but will work).
Personally I wouldn't bother just amping, I find the real benefits are when you use a DAC as well. Also for me systems like the vamp really only come into their own as transportable devices rather than portable ones. Using it outside or anywhere there is noise and you would lose most of the benefits, so for me the money is better spent on a desktop rig, which are almost always better value.

Yeah, but 50 bucks is worth it to have in school with my laptop if the sqincrease is noticable. Will it work as a DAC with every rooted Android?

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #6,660 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah, but 50 bucks is worth it to have in school with my laptop if the sqincrease is noticable. Will it work as a DAC with every rooted Android?

No I don't think so, I think you might need at least ICS too.

You're right, I'm being overly harsh because I have heard better, the E7 is not bad, in fact it makes a great first DAC. This one more than most is better as a combined and not much to speak of as an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back