V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #6,691 of 23,366
Quote:
Like I, and many others, have mentioned:
  1. Line out dock (LOD) to mini-jack/plug DAC/amps only bypass an iDevice's audio DAC (FiiO E17 for example). The external DAC/amp only acts as an amplifier at this point. These types of DAC/amps are generally priced at < $250
  2. LOD to USB DAC/amps bypass both an iDevices audio DAC and amp (Fostex HP-P1 for example). The external DAC/amp then does all of the audio processing. These types of DAC/amps are generally priced at the $500 point.
  3. mini-jack to mini-jack merely provides double amplification to your audio signal

Thus, unless the Galaxy SIII has a line out option, or you decide to root it to output USB audio, it's not worth buying anything for it really. If you can plug in headphones and hear music, it has both a DAC and an amp.
The E7 is good as an external computer soundcard (DAC/amp), but otherwise it will just act as an amp.

Thanks for the update Val.

Sorry if this might be repetitive, but just want to confirm I'm learning the right information. Devices such as the Fiio E17 can be used as a DAC on idevices but not for a desktop DAC? To create a desktop setup, I would need to buy a DAC/amp that bypasses whatever via USB? Would these devices, if they support only desktop use and not idevice use, be in the cheaper range of <250?

*In short, to summarize my confused thoughts, is can anything be used as a DAC as long as it is connected via USB?

And Thanks Val! Now I can sleep soundly knowing when to expect the M100s. Don't have to check every hour or so for an update :D.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #6,692 of 23,366
Sorry if this might be repetitive, but just want to confirm I'm learning the right information. Devices such as the Fiio E17 can be used as a DAC on idevices but not for a desktop DAC? To create a desktop setup, I would need to buy a DAC/amp that bypasses whatever via USB? Would these devices, if they support only desktop use and not idevice use, be in the cheaper range of <250?

And Thanks Val! Now I can sleep soundly knowing when to expect the M100s. Don't have to check every hour or so for an update :D.
This does sound a little confusing, let me try to clarify. The Fiio E17 will not work as a DAC on any un-modified phone (never heard it working with an iPhone). The only ones that will work as DACs on iPods/iPhones natively are Fostex HP-P1, VAMP, Algorythm Solo (possibly missed one here, but that's about it and they are all really expensive - $500+). HRT iStreamer works as DAC only (no amp) but not portable as it requires power. Anyway, I am sure more will arrive soon and for android too. If you want to do this on any android phone now it will need to be rooted, not all will work and even then not all DAC/amps will work with them. If you're curious about this there are tons of posts on it so don't ask here, go look, this it just to clarify.

Also just to clarify: All devices with a sound output have an internal DAC and amp, they need it to function at all but they are usually not that great. I hear that the Galaxy S3 is OK, the iPhone I personally think is OK too (neither of which I would bother just amping for the M-100), but they will not touch the quality of a decent external DAC/amp. My favourite reasonably priced one for the V-Moda M-80 is the Yulong U100, which is a mains powered desktop rig for about $200-250 (not too sure about the US price, about €200 or £160).

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #6,693 of 23,366
Quote:
GROUP PIC
The issue is the Brushed Black plates, we are awaiting those.  The rest are done.

SHIPPING
I have the tracking # and the units arrive LA office WEDNESDAY.  I'll test through the weekend, sign off and as long as everything is Kosher (wish I am sure it is), they will start shipping from LA -> YOU on Monday.  Then I will go on my press tour.

Lots of work ahead!

-V

This is very relieving news, Val. I deeply appreciate the info. I think we all do. And I'm sure you're excited for these to get to the ears of the people as well!

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #6,694 of 23,366
just to add...
Fiio17 has optical in, usb in and aux in...portable DAPs and phones are connected via the aux in, and this makes use of only the AMP of Fiio17..(dac of the phone or DAP is used)
if you connect your desktop or laptop via  optical or USB in's this will use Fiio's both DAC and AMP parts as far as I know...

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #6,695 of 23,366
Quote:
This does sound a little confusing, let me try to clarify. The Fiio E17 will not work as a DAC on any un-modified phone (never heard it working with an iPhone). The only ones that will work as DACs on iPods/iPhones natively are Fostex HP-P1, VAMP, Algorythm Solo (possibly missed one here, but that's about it and they are all really expensive - $500+). HRT iStreamer works as DAC only (no amp) but not portable as it requires power. Anyway, I am sure more will arrive soon and for android too. If you want to do this on any android phone now it will need to be rooted, not all will work and even then not all DAC/amps will work with them. If you're curious about this there are tons of posts on it so don't ask here, go look, this it just to clarify.
Also just to clarify: All devices with a sound output have an internal DAC and amp, they need it to function at all but they are usually not that great. I hear that the Galaxy S3 is OK, the iPhone I personally think is OK too (neither of which I would bother just amping for the M-100), but they will not touch the quality of a decent external DAC/amp. My favourite reasonably priced one for the V-Moda M-80 is the Yulong U100, which is a mains powered desktop rig for about $200-250 (not too sure about the US price, about €200 or £160).

Thanks, this does clear up my understanding of DACs with portable sources. I do have one more question. For a device to function as an external DAC on the desktop what rules apply? The E17, for  example,  as you mentioned will not work as a DAC on any unmodified phone. But, can it work on a desktop?

**Nevermind, plasmoic answered it for me.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #6,697 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks, this does clear up my understanding of DACs with portable sources. I do have one more question. For a device to function as an external DAC on the desktop what rules apply? The E17, for  example,  as you mentioned will not work as a DAC on any unmodified phone. But, can it work on a desktop?

**Nevermind, plasmoic answered it for me.

Sorry for doublepost but yes it will. :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #6,698 of 23,366
You guys may wanna jump onto the Android DAC thread if you wanna find out more about USB DAC use on Android platforms :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/345

DanBa has done a tremendous job in collating what works & what doesn't.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #6,700 of 23,366
Quote:
Hello, I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find the release date on the m-100 for those that didnt catch the pre order time
frown.gif
. I know these will sell out immediately, so I don't want to miss out on my second chance.

Apparently something like 70 days?  It's gonna be awhile, unfortunately.  But then, we don't know about other retailers like Amazon, there's a chance they might get them earlier.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #6,701 of 23,366
Oh wow, so just in time for x-mas. Hopefully these cans are worth the wait. Been comparing the m-80 and lp2 and I wish I could just get the m-80 SQ with the body of the lp2. But LP2 does well with dubstep music. Rap songs has muddy vocals compared to m-80.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #6,702 of 23,366
Apparently the m-80's aren't quite as indestructible as i thought :frowning2: i dropped mine today from head height with the cord still in place and when i picked them up the jack on the headphones looked a little crooked. now they only play in one ear.......oh well, good thing i have a warranty on them and the m-100's on the way :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #6,703 of 23,366
Quote:
Apparently the m-80's aren't quite as indestructible as i thought :frowning2: i dropped mine today from head height with the cord still in place and when i picked them up the jack on the headphones looked a little crooked. now they only play in one ear.......oh well, good thing i have a warranty on them and the m-100's on the way :)

Wow, you must have had some reeeaally bad luck, I ran my m80's over with a car and they only got a dent which I just turned back and now you can't tell that they were damaged at all. :X

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #6,704 of 23,366
Quote:

Ignore my post.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #6,705 of 23,366
Quote:

Yea, I did  that before. They aren't so sturdy if you attack from the inside. ie: the jack. But V Moda replaced them pretty quickly. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back