V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #21,767 of 23,366
The M100 is a fantastic headphone that can handle just about any music genre, especially bass oriented ones.  That said, I've got a pair of Oppo PM3s when I just don't want the bass rumble and those are ridiculously good as well.  I simply cannot decide between the two so I said forget it, I'm keeping both.  I'd check out both.

I'm honestly surprised some people find the bass "rumble" too much at times. I don't find the bass overbearing in the slightest, or even to be quite the rumble many people discuss.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #21,768 of 23,366
Sold. Now I need to find a good deal on one and put in an order. Do you guys have any preferred sites for these? I see a few on eBay for around $200 but might prefer to go new, to avoid potential issues.

These don't go down to $200 often from retailers so I'd recommend just buying at the new $250 retail price.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #21,769 of 23,366
This is an exceptional price. Delivery from Hong Kong, but 100% original. (Straight from the factory, that is the reason for this price.)  I bought mine from here. First I quit the purchase process, and to keep me in the deal I was offered an extra £5 off, so I paid £140 ($218) including international shipping. They ship to U.K. only though, as far as I know.
http://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/v-moda-crossfade-m-100-over-ear-headphones-matte-black.html

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #21,770 of 23,366
As much as I like the sound, even with the XL pads these are not exactly comfortable to wear for more than a few songs. This is from someone coming from one of the most comfortable headphones ever designed, the ATH-700, but I do hope the next generation has improved comfort. Find myself constantly adjusting these, especially while wearing glasses. I wouldn't say I have particularly large ears since they fit in the standard pads but even with the XL they touch the driver, plus the clamping pressure on the ears is a bit more than I'd like. Unfortunately the short-lasting comfort at least for me personally could be enough to force me to return these :frowning2: and wait to see if V-Moda improves comfort next time around. I most likely won't return/sell though.

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #21,771 of 23,366
while wearing glasses

I rarely wear sunglasses (and had LASIK surgery 12 years ago), but the other day I tried wearing sunglasses while listening to my M-100s. I lost about 3 dB of sub-bass, (had to use one extra bass increment in my EQ presets), and the sub-bass on one side sounded a little louder than the other.

You need a really good air seal around the earpads to get proper sub-bass, and your earpieces on glasses will break the seal a little.

So as for me, I just took off the sunglasses after one song, and said oh well,...it's a sunny day, but my eyes can take it! 
atsmile.gif

No big deal....

Jul 4, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #21,772 of 23,366
I've attached some folded tissue paper to the bottom of the headband of mine to raise it up a bit, which combined with the XL pads have made mine very comfortable. I'm wearing sunglasses under them right now without any trouble. I have gently bent the headband in the past though - just by bending it into a straight line a couple of times.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #21,773 of 23,366
As much as I like the sound, even with the XL pads these are not exactly comfortable to wear for more than a few songs. This is from someone coming from one of the most comfortable headphones ever designed, the ATH-700, but I do hope the next generation has improved comfort. Find myself constantly adjusting these, especially while wearing glasses. I wouldn't say I have particularly large ears since they fit in the standard pads but even with the XL they touch the driver, plus the clamping pressure on the ears is a bit more than I'd like. Unfortunately the short-lasting comfort at least for me personally could be enough to force me to return these
frown.gif
and wait to see if V-Moda improves comfort next time around. I most likely won't return/sell though.

I was used to my Sennheiser HD600 before I bought my M-100. The HD600s is the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried. Even after 5-6 hrs of listening you feel you could wear it for another 5-6 hrs. It just hugs your head, you do not want to take it off. :)
The M-100 with the stock pads became very uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes of listening. (I have small ears.) With the XL pads I say it is ok. At least it does not hurt wearing them for 3-4 hours. Obviously it does not even come close to the comfort of the (opened) HD600, but it is quite comfy for a closed can, even after 3-4 hrs I do not have major issues with comfort. (It could breathe more, but it wont, as it is a closed hp.)
With XL pads it is fine. I have no issues. Of course I do not expect the comfort of the opened back flagships... That would be unfair.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #21,774 of 23,366
Took my M-100 for heir first journey. :)
Was quite amazing to have this sound on the streets. Feels even more spacious. :)
Can't wait my next flight in August to find out, how much it isolates on a plain.
Very satisfied with overall performance so far. Especially with 80% of my music genres. (Containing electronic bits and peaces.) :)

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #21,775 of 23,366
The M-100 with the stock pads became very uncomfortable

I've never had any major comfort issues with the stock pads. After about 3 hours they become very, very slightly uncomfortable, so at that point I'll occasionally just take them off my ears for about 30 seconds, wiggle my earlobes a bit, and put the M-100s back on. No problem.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #21,776 of 23,366

I've never had any major comfort issues with the stock pads. After about 3 hours they become very, very slightly uncomfortable, so at that point I'll occasionally just take them off my ears for about 30 seconds, wiggle my earlobes a bit, and put the M-100s back on. No problem.

Everyone's head is different I guess. :wink:

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #21,777 of 23,366
I think they do get more comfortable as I get adjusted to them, as well as to closed-back headphones. It's not the end of the world if I take a 5-minute break every hour. XL pads are a big improvement all-around.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #21,778 of 23,366
Time for a new avatar for me! I took this shot today with the city of Hong Kong in the background to go with it. 
beyersmile.png

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #21,780 of 23,366
First, thanks again to everyone who offered advice to me last week when i was debating these. They are about what i was expecting... I've given them about 72 hours of break in, and spent a few hours yesterday listening.

I really, really enjoy these for hip-hop and electronic music. The bass is the best of any headphones I've had the chance to listen to. Some songs truly come to life, which is great. The comfort isn't terrible and I figure it would improve a bit with XL pads. The build quality is outstanding!

That said, I'm not 100% sure that I will keep them. The sound signature just doesn't work for me when it comes to most other genres. Because of this they wouldn't replace my w4r for travel, so I'd be keeping them for listening strictly at home. I might look at something like PM-3 or P7 as an alternative.

I'm going to give them another week or so and make a decision. Anyway I really appreciate the insight offered here, and hope to help others as well.

Edited for spelling... stupid auto correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back