V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 12, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #21,662 of 23,366
The more time I spend with my M-100s the more I like them.
This is "brain burn in"... Our brain gets used to a certain sound signature, and takes time to appreciate another one.
Yes, the M-100s are closed, so have less space and openness as opened headphones like HD600. Also it is not natural, nor neutral. It is bassy, and was made for different kind of enjoyment. It can catch the attention of the crowds with its sound quality and tuning.
And for the everyday people these just sound amazing.
According to my experience an audiophile wants the most natural sound, and they mostly listen to classical or jazz or at least some live instrumental music with vocal. And they want the most natural presentation. M-100 is not for them. Compared to HD600 for example M-100 sounds artificial and closed. But M-100 was not made for the HD600 users... (in general)
It was made for the crowd who wants to enjoy music. All spectrum. With exceptional bass. And quite a lot of details. In a portable form.
And it fulfills this purpose 100%.
Even an audiophile can have some fun with it, it is that good.
But if someone is not an audiophile (going for the realest presentation and most lifelike sound) just want to have fun with music, relaxing, enjoying even on the go, M-100 is a great option.

Actually I am thinking of giving up this hobby, as I have less time for music anyway, and it kills my wallet.
I am thinking of keeping the M-100 for some enjoyment, and sell most of my audio gear to free up £5-600 cash...
(Also it fits my taste in music, as 70-80% I listen to music with some electronics in... like Shpongle, Amon Tobin, Gaudium, Infected Mushrooms, Liquid Soul, Vibrasphere, Trentemoller, The Knife, etc....)

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #21,663 of 23,366
I actually received the m-100's last week. I had to buy the m-100 again, because I lost my previous ones... Before, I never had a complaint with these pairs. I loved the sound. And interestingly, I don't like the sound anymore. Weird, right? I feel like this headphones lack in vocal clarity.Even though I love bass, I feel like something is missing... The one month break of the headphones definitely changed my mind. A bit sad actually, considering that I had the m-100's for almost a year.

I send the new pair back actually.. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #21,664 of 23,366
I actually received the m-100's last week. I had to buy the m-100 again, because I lost my previous ones... Before, I never had a complaint with these pairs. I loved the sound. And interestingly, I don't like the sound anymore. Weird, right? I feel like this headphones lack in vocal clarity.Even though I love bass, I feel like something is missing... The one month break of the headphones definitely changed my mind. A bit sad actually, considering that I had the m-100's for almost a year.

did you changes sources from the 1st time? My m100s sound awesome in all aspects with my DX90 or HA2 but sound like crap with my FiiO X5 and X3. A lot of headphones are dependent on there source.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #21,665 of 23,366

did you changes sources from the 1st time? My m100s sound awesome in all aspects with my DX90 or HA2 but sound like crap with my FiiO X5 and X3. A lot of headphones are dependent on there source.

Why are you saying it is crap with the Fiios? What is it that that you do not like in that combo?

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #21,667 of 23,366
To me Fiio has a warm sig and the M100s do as well so for me its just to warm and bassy. My Fiio daps sound awesome with my Alclair customs and SE215s.

Is it the first or the 2nd gen of the X3 you tried?

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #21,669 of 23,366
Both are 1st gen.

I owned the first gen X3 for a long time, and now I have got the 2nd gen. There is a huge difference regarding sound signature (and sound quality) between them.
The first gen is indeed very warm and dark.
But the second gen is very different from it. The 2nd gen is less warm, way much brighter. Bigger soundstage, clarity and details are a huge improvement. It is less bassy, more mids and high centered. It has a much tighter and more detailed bass, but the bass quantity is less compared to the 1st gen. A more detailed, more refined, more analytical sound with brightness in it. A tremendous step up from the first gen imho.
 I find the M-100 a very good match with the 2nd gen X3.
(Also the EQ is way better...)

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #21,670 of 23,366

I owned the first gen X3 for a long time, and now I have got the 2nd gen. There is a huge difference regarding sound signature (and sound quality) between them.
But the second gen is very different from it. The 2nd gen is less warm, way much brighter. Bigger soundstage, clarity and details are a huge improvement. It is less bassy, more mids and high centered. It has a much tighter and more detailed bass, but the bass quantity is less compared to the 1st gen. A more detailed, more refined, more analytical sound with brightness in it. A tremendous step up from the first gen imho.

100% correct.  The M100s are significantly better w the X3II than they were with the original.  I really like the combo.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #21,671 of 23,366

I was seriously considering buying it and I still might, but now that the X7 is coming out soon I will see what that has to offer. I really like dac the x3ii has.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #21,672 of 23,366
I was seriously considering buying it and I still might, but now that the X7 is coming out soon I will see what that has to offer. I really like dac the x3ii has.

Yes, I am wondering as well what X7 has to offer...
X3ii is a huge step up from the 1st gen, that is for sure.
And it seems, X5ii is not that much better than X3ii so far... Unless you need 2 micro SD card slots...

I am also curious about X7, but it is still gonna be a long waiting I guess...

I am very happy with the X3ii in the meantime. :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #21,673 of 23,366
I am using V-Moda's M-100 after a painstaking search for headphones with no real budget set... I was searching for the best value and best sound without having to make a "hmm, these headphones are 75% as good and half the price" compromise; I wanted the best without spending a ridiculous amount. To be fair, I found the brand and design initially off-putting but have since become a huge fan of the brand and it seems I find a new aspect of the headphone or brand to appreciate daily. When I bought these I was not expecting them to sound significantly better than my $150 Audio Technica ATH-700 pair but in retrospect they do sound like they're worth twice the price, very surprisingly. I was initially just looking for more of a bass presence after trying a pair of Beats Solo2 (out of curiosity) in-store. Of course even at a similar price the Beats do not hold a candle to either headphone: the sound is very closed-off and mids as well as treble suffers. However, on the M-100 that is simply not true. The entirety of the song can be heard and felt with a painstaking clarity. These are the type of headphones where lossless music can shine. These are the type of headphones where you pause life and listen to music for hours for the sole reason that you cannot take them off. Perhaps the single con these have are the comfort factor: the material itself is comfy and premium, but prolonged sessions (even as short as a half-hour) can cause my ears physical pain. This is a rare experience for these headphones, but I do have a pair of XL pads on the way.

Believe me, I have spent dozens of hours researching headphones and still find myself reading about V-Moda and the M-100. Probably a foremost expert on here about the brand by now :D.

I really want to shake Val's hand lol.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #21,674 of 23,366

A little nervous lol. I wonder what very soon means. I see cuts on amazon with the m100..signs? I have til the 23rd to return. I love the m100 but there is a refresh I might as well wait if its very soon.

Was worried about this but I will probably find a way to upgrade. Was expecting the M-100 cycle to last as long as five years after all the fine-tuning that went into its sound.

Very curious how they will improve the sound... a slightly wider soundstage could be great. Even though I've only had the M-100 for a little over a month I don't mind paying a little bit to upgrade if it's a similar jump as the LP2.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #21,675 of 23,366
   prolonged sessions (even as short as a half-hour) can cause my ears physical pain. This is a rare experience for these headphones, but I do have a pair of XL pads on the way.

XL pads will solve your comfort issues. I had the same experience. With the stock pads after 40-50 minutes it was uncomfortable around my ears, almost painful. I tried to reduce the clamping force by stretching the headband a little bit, but it did not help much. XL pads solved the issue. Finally very comfy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back