V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 30, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #20,926 of 23,366
Those shields would be a better match for the Shadow colour scheme. Nice shields though.

Maybe, but I have always pined for a FIAT with the white interior... my Abarth comes only in black, which is fine for it, but their white is beautiful   So the headphone color is chosen with that pine in mind!

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #20,929 of 23,366
I figured out why my headband started peeling so much. My head is wide at the top and it was causing the headband to bunch up the pleather whenever I wore it. I noticed that it didn't happen as much when other people wore them. In comparison, the headband on my XS doesn't bunch up at all. So, here is my repaired M-100 adorned with artists' tape, Gorilla tape, a V-MODA sticker and Krazy Glue.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #20,932 of 23,366
It's from wear and tear and it's not covered by warranty. I know because I tried. I also have twist ties on the driver cables because they were fraying at the contact point with the ear cups.

I'm actually stoked about how cool looking they turned out.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #20,933 of 23,366
I also have twist ties on the driver cables because they were fraying at the contact point with the ear cups.

I have a habit of reaching up on the cups feeling how the fork type thing holding the cups is squashing its way in to the cable today.

Goofy design flaw if you ask me. But it is legit until it "really" eats into the cable, so far that has not happened on mine.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #20,934 of 23,366
Hello, I feel honoured to be introduced to this thread... with the wrong headphone colour than I ordered on amazon. LOL. 
beyersmile.png

Was expecting the Matte Blacks to be arriving but instead I've received the Shadows. So for anyone ordering from Amazon Warehouse be aware this might happen to you! Luckily, they fulfilled my request of wanting a partial refund over returning the cans because honestly I'm content either way. 

I'm planning to use some of the credit on buying custom shields but I ask you head-fi to assist my colour-illiterate self: Which shade of red will look best with shadows? Crimson red or just red?

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #20,936 of 23,366
  I'm planning to use some of the credit on buying custom shields but I ask you head-fi to assist my colour-illiterate self: Which shade of red will look best with shadows? Crimson red or just red?

You might want to take a look at the shield design thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/616990/v-moda-shield-design-discussion

I guess you'll find examples of color combinations with the shadow M-100 there

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #20,937 of 23,366
FYI, AC Gears is selling the M-100 for $30 off until September 13.

http://www.acgears.com/category/audio/headphones/v-moda-crossfade-m-100-over-ear-headphones-conf.html?mc_cid=876d63a745&mc_eid=5d93911e0e#.U-EeEPldWSo

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #20,938 of 23,366
Check this out...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730167/do-i-need-an-amp-well-im-glad-you-asked/0_40#post_10787299

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #20,939 of 23,366
Hey guys!

I´m building my first ever hifi set and chose the V-Moda m-100s because of their mobility and looks. And because the reviews were quite glowing. But now I´m struggling. They sound terrific with EDM. Anything with punchy bass - anything clean, rhythmic and dance oriented - is godly, beyond my wildest imagination for what music could sound like. I did not know audio tech could make such a difference, honestly I´ve even cried during some songs - hearing how dynamic and powerful they truly are. (I am a massive music fan and something of a musician myself). But then there is one huge problem with these cans. Whenever a song has slow, constant bass - especially a mournful backing synth line in both channels, like a lot of indie bands love to do - the hump in the V-moda´s lows exaggerates this signal to annoying prominence. The same awesome bass punch a dance track has, becomes a constant whine drowning out any enjoyment from slower, more mournful tracks.

This is not a little, capricious thing too. For a well known example, lets take Radiohead´s In Rainbows. Everything is super nice until those humming synths come in "All I Need".Then suddenly the cans butcher the music. It sounds powerless, defective.

I have read others have experienced this as well. My question is - what is to be done? I´ve done my listening for 3 days and straight from the line out of an Asus laptop, while waiting for my Fiio x3. Will the x3 make a big difference in this? Will I be able to make an eq preset on them, that negates the V-Moda´s hump for some music? If I know exactly where it is - somewhere in the middle to high lows I´m guessing? I hear they don´t have an eq yet, but maybe if I eq on my laptop and use the Fiio as a DAC?

Also, I´ve ordered the XL pads in hope they make the V-Moda´s a little more comfortable (they are not too comfy now), but have heard they make the bass even bigger... Yet perhaps they will help somehow. 

I don´t want to give up on them yet. Is there anything I can do to get that bass under control?

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #20,940 of 23,366
From what I understand, the XL pads do the opposite of adding bass.

"The memory cushions don’t only play to the crowd of comfort. By putting more space between the listener’s ear and the driver they open the sound right up. Most noticable was a tightening below the waist and less of a ‘smile’-leaning frequency response curve that I noted with the stock pads. However, the biggest game change from the XL Memory Cushion upgrade was a more open midrange. Vocals, guitars, melody lines – they all step out of the shadows and into the light. Wonderful stuff.

The improvements are so significant that I don’t know why V-Moda don’t fit the XL Memory Cushions as standard. Wait! Yes, I do. A $20 upgrade is exciting, a more effective way of connoting more of that precious VFM and (again) deepening the hooks of brand loyalty. If you’ve already snaffled a pair of M-100s, know that a high-yielding additional $20 will take their sound to another level. The XL Memory Cushions are ESSENTIAL."

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/02/tricking-out-the-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones/

there's a whole thread devoted to the pads as well, which is where I got that link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691002/unofficial-v-moda-xl-pads-thread

Sounds like the the pads will get you closer to what you're looking for. An amp just might get you all the way there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back