V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #18,556 of 23,366
Awwhhh man, its' been 8 days (including this weekend, also went for international priority) since my m100's shipped out (included custom plates). I've been a very midrange/treblehead kinda person, Monstercat usually providing for my bassy taste of music. I really want to get these headphones already and bump the bass to 20db @_@

Because whenever I want bass, I get my a900x and do the same with 20db, probably even 25db with a FiiO E11. Although I stopped doing that because I don't want to damage them.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #18,557 of 23,366

With how responsive these things are I'd wager you could save a few bucks and the the e07k.

I actually was using an e07k for the longest time with the M100s and something just seemed off...and what I've come to find out is I just don't like the house Fiio sound.  Too blah for me.  I picked up the C5D and I absolutely love it.  Of course, it's 150 dollars more expensive than the e07k...so it's logical to start with the cheaper option and then work up if you're not satisfied.  :wink:

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #18,559 of 23,366
Or save a few more bucks: get a Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip, install Rockbox on it, get a decently sized uSD card and don't worry about an expensive phone and an expensive amplifier.

You do realize that you can't replace the effects of an amplifier by using higher bitrate files, right? Like, that's not what amps do or why they're used.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #18,560 of 23,366
I already own a rockboxed D2 and trust me, the stock Note 3 sounds better. I also have the small Fiio E5 (I think) and it adds precisely zero to the party. I fear I might be in the same boat as dbdynasty25 and perhaps I'm not a fan of the Fiio House sound either. However I do find the Fiio E18 quite intriguing. Being able to bypass the inbuilt DAC is my primary goal as these M-100's aren't difficult to drive.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #18,561 of 23,366
I already own a rockboxed D2 and trust me, the stock Note 3 sounds better. I also have the small Fiio E5 (I think) and it adds precisely zero to the party. I fear I might be in the same boat as dbdynasty25 and perhaps I'm not a fan of the Fiio House sound either. However I do find the Fiio E18 quite intriguing. Being able to bypass the inbuilt DAC is my primary goal as these M-100's aren't difficult to drive.

That's because it doesn't matter how good the input file is if you're playing it through a mediocre sound card and that clip just isn't going to sound as good as a modern smartphone, end of transaction. It kinda surprises me people aren't understanding how this stuff works. It doesn't matter if you throw a FLAC at a crummy device, it'll come out sounding worse than a 256kbps MP3 out of a good source. 

What about one of those DIY amp kits? Heard good things.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #18,562 of 23,366
Shaky Hand Syndrome kills that plan. I'm reading a review of the C5D right now but it's not exactly glowing. It is Headfonia though, lol.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #18,563 of 23,366
I already own a rockboxed D2 and trust me, the stock Note 3 sounds better.

I believe it. Cowon D2 is good but it's not that good unless you like how Cowon colors things. Thing is, the Clips with Rockbox are that good. There's a whole thread here dedicated to the Clips and the question of are they really that good. Consensus: yes, they are.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #18,565 of 23,366
I know everyone seems to be focusing on the XS...but does anyone know if Val has said anything more about this new IEM since?

Unfortunately no, they will probably be pushed back to becuse the xs is suppose to launch in 2013 october. And its already feb, 2014 vmoda will be probably too busy till 2015 with preparing the xs and gathering statistics. Im forseeing the xs launching june ish or july based on what val said previously, it might be a while

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #18,567 of 23,366

Isn't the Note 3 using a Wolfson DAC (WM8740??)? I don't have a fancy DAC myself and been curious about the E18 for my LG G2 (which has mixed audio reviews, but I love it so who cares haha), but I've come to reason that it likely won't make a noticeable positive difference.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #18,568 of 23,366
Isn't the Note 3 using a Wolfson DAC (WM8740??)? I don't have a fancy DAC myself and been curious about the E18 for my LG G2 (which has mixed audio reviews, but I love it so who cares haha), but I've come to reason that it likely won't make a noticeable positive difference.

Which DAC the Note 3 has is dependent on whether or not you live in a region that gets the Exynos or Snapdragon processor variants. Exynos has the Wolfson chip, the Snapdragon doesn't. (If you're in the U.S., you'll get the Snapdragon variant.)

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #18,569 of 23,366
In relation to the sansa clip line, they have the clip sport out now on amazon.
Looks pretty nice and bumps up the battery life to 25 hours. I loved how my rockboxed clip+ sounded before it died so I might grab the new one.

Now in regards to the M100's and A/B testing mine vs the brookstone demo...
It was a bust. :frowning2:

I walked into brookstone (crossgates, albany ny) and there was a big 50% off everything sign. At first I was pretty psyched, because I would have grabbed every M100 they had, but there were none... even the demo unit was gone, so I didn't get to do any testing.

So now I'll just give v-moda a call tuesday and see what they say. I still might order another pair too.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #18,570 of 23,366
Read the thread here. Much more positive. Everyone can complain about everything if they want. Headfonia destroyed the m100s too you might note. And you seem to like em. Haha.

it depends on the reviewer though , the m100 wasn't reviewed by the same person who doesn't like the c5d, as far as personal opinion goes Mike actually like the vmoda m100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back