V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #18,541 of 23,366
You won't get any more bass with burn-in but you might well get better bass.

I think that's what's going on. It's not "louder", but it feels... fuller? More meaty? All I know is I'm really liking them so far. Trying some mixtapes out. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #18,542 of 23,366

Yours are probably fine. "Prominent" is a much better description of my M-100's bass than "crushing." It's big, but not sloppily booming all over the place or pounding every other frequency into oblivion.
dt880smile.png
It's the "almost no bass at all" comments that have my eyebrow raised.

Ok, maybe my set is good then; because bass is definitely prominent. Late Night Tip by three 6 mafia kicks some serious bass. I think my ears just needed to get readjusted from listening to the LP2's for a while. I love the clarity of the M100's. Nothing else I've listened to comes close, not even my ATH-M50s. Another thing is most of the reviews I've read describe the M100's as basshead headphones, and will lead you to believe the bass is a lot stronger than it actually is. I disagree.

I'll still give v-moda a call on tuesday and see what they say regarding bass.

I could have sworn the brookstone demo unit sounded better though. I'll bring mine there tomorrow and do some A/B comparison.
Does the brookstone demo station amp the headphones at all when using your own audio source?

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #18,543 of 23,366
Ok, maybe my set is good then; because bass is definitely prominent. Late Night Tip by three 6 mafia kicks some serious bass. I think my ears just needed to get readjusted from listening to the LP2's for a while. I love the clarity of the M100's. Nothing else I've listened to comes close, not even my ATH-M50s. Another thing is most of the reviews I've read describe the M100's as basshead headphones, and will lead you to believe the bass is a lot stronger than it actually is. I disagree.

I'll still give v-moda a call on tuesday and see what they say regarding bass.

I could have sworn the brookstone demo unit sounded better though. I'll bring mine there tomorrow and do some A/B comparison.
Does the brookstone demo station amp the headphones at all when using your own audio source?

Yes the demo station was most likely amplified.If you had an amp you would hear the bass and sound overall is better when amplified.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #18,545 of 23,366
iam using it with a either dx50 or rockboxed clip+, on the clip+ raising the bass to +6 or something, it doesn't affect the rest of the spectrum clarity or details in anyway, but its like holding 2 sub woofers by your ears :D really enjoy that feeling LOL

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #18,546 of 23,366
I use foobar2k with my pc but really can't make heads or tails of the eq, and on my android, I use rocket music player with the "normal" eq setting. It gives the bass a nice boost without drowning everything else out.

I'm tempted to order another pair od M100's from v-moda in shadow this time since that's what others who had the matte black problem said sounded better, as stated in reviews.

I did go to tyll's review of the M100's on innerfidelity and on the sound quality page where he gives three links to artists where the bass is supposedlyhead banging, it wasn't for me.
Even looking at the LP2 and M100 freq charts side by side (from tyll's site) both have similar charting, witht he bass a bit higher on the LP2's.
I'm genuinely curious if I have M100's as they're supposed to sound.
Hmmm...

More listening until I get a hold of v-moda.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #18,547 of 23,366
I would be astonished if there were a designed-in difference in sound quality based on styling.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #18,548 of 23,366
Not so much designed differently, but there was mention of a possibility of a batch of defective parts; the others who had the problem had shadow m100's that sounded great and matte black that were sub par, or at least not as reviewed by a lot of different sources saying how great they sound.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #18,549 of 23,366
Bunch of replies:

Brookstone's demo stations let you plug directly into your own sources. You can bypass any processing that they might use.

M-100 has effectively no burn-in period. If it has one, it's on the order of 30 minutes.

Based on FR curves that I've seen, M-100 actually has more bass than Beats Mixr. On the other hand, M-100 has cleaner response all the way up plus a 10 kHz bump that Mixr lacks. These can make it seem like you're getting less bass because you're getting more of everything else.

V-MODA won't etch trademarks unless you can obtain authorization from the trademark holder.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #18,550 of 23,366
Bunch of replies:

Brookstone's demo stations let you plug directly into your own sources. You can bypass any processing that they might use.

M-100 has effectively no burn-in period. If it has one, it's on the order of 30 minutes.

Based on FR curves that I've seen, M-100 actually has more bass than Beats Mixr. On the other hand, M-100 has cleaner response all the way up plus a 10 kHz bump that Mixr lacks. These can make it seem like you're getting less bass because you're getting more of everything else.

V-MODA won't etch trademarks unless you can obtain authorization from the trademark holder.

I've been listening to mine pretty much nonstop since yesterday. Maybe it's in my head, but it feels like they've changed, especially on the bass side of things. It feels a lot more open and free now. More like what the other reviewers were talking about.

Also, to my ears, the Brookstone demo station didn't sound as good as the real product. I liked them on the station, but decided to gamble on them with a purchase and it's MUCH better.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #18,551 of 23,366
We're happy you're happy. :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #18,552 of 23,366
Any chance any of these are on any of your heads?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1295208301/v_moda_brand_name_headphones_at.html

These gotta be  leaking into the online retail markets such as Amazon, Rakuten (For sure).
The phenomenon with a high% of Beats sold online being fake is happening to the new popular brand. A lot of brands...it's confirmation of popularity...imitation I mean.
If you see these cheaper than they should be somewhere there is a reason.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #18,553 of 23,366
  Any chance any of these are on any of your heads?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1295208301/v_moda_brand_name_headphones_at.html

These gotta be  leaking into the online retail markets such as Amazon, Rakuten (For sure).
The phenomenon with a high% of Beats sold online being fake is happening to the new popular brand. A lot of brands...it's confirmation of popularity...imitation I mean.
If you see these cheaper than they should be somewhere there is a reason. Those are LP clones. No hinges so it would be easy to tell the difference if we got bamboozled. Mine came directly from v-moda; others the same or amazon.

Also, to my ears, the Brookstone demo station didn't sound as good as the real product. I liked them on the station, but decided to gamble on them with a purchase and it's MUCH better. Exact opposite for me. Thickened plot lol...

Bunch of replies:

Brookstone's demo stations let you plug directly into your own sources. You can bypass any processing that they might use. That's what I thought. I'm heading back out to the mall in a bit. I'll be bringing my M100's to do some A/B testing to confirm my set is either defective or I'm a looney-toon.
basshead.gif

M-100 has effectively no burn-in period. If it has one, it's on the order of 30 minutes. I noticed this as well. The same goes with my LP2's. I'm a believer that most of "burn-in" is your ears and brain adjusting to the new sound signature.

Based on FR curves that I've seen, M-100 actually has more bass than Beats Mixr. On the other hand, M-100 has cleaner response all the way up plus a 10 kHz bump that Mixr lacks. These can make it seem like you're getting less bass because you're getting more of everything else.  I can definitely see that. I didn't realize how clear my M100's are until I put my ath-M50's, which sound a bit muffled in comparison. My issue is the lack of bass on songs where it should be prominent.

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #18,554 of 23,366
I'm thinking of buying a Fiio E18 to pair with my Galaxy Note 3 and the M-100's.anyone got any ideas what's likely to improve (if anything-it might just be a waste of money). Or is there an alternative DAC/amp at around the same price I should he considering?

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #18,555 of 23,366
I'm thinking of buying a Fiio E18 to pair with my Galaxy Note 3 and the M-100's.anyone got any ideas what's likely to improve (if anything-it might just be a waste of money). Or is there an alternative DAC/amp at around the same price I should he considering?

With how responsive these things are I'd wager you could save a few bucks and the the e07k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back