V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #18,526 of 23,366
I have noticed a difference in comfort. There doesn't seem to be as much irritation to my ears after listening. Maybe less bass = less irritation = more comfort?

A difference in comfort points to a difference in earpads. It is hard to tell from comfort change alone what the difference exactly is, though. Most earpads get softer with use, and this can lead to a better seal with more bass.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #18,527 of 23,366
A difference in comfort points to a difference in earpads. It is hard to tell from comfort change alone what the difference exactly is, though. Most earpads get softer with use, and this can lead to a better seal with more bass.

A quick way to tell if it's the pads is to create a good seal by lightly pressing the earcups to your head, NiteWalker. If you suddenly get the gobs of bass the M-100s normally produce, then I suppose that's your answer. From your description, though, this sounds more like a hardware defect. Practically no bass whatsoever -- even with an imperfect seal -- is strange, IMO.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #18,529 of 23,366
"Body"? Never in a million years would I have guessed that. I really am old.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #18,530 of 23,366
Oh great, now you guys got me all paranoid. I picked up a pair at Brookstone and while the bass is definitely prominent, it's not crushing, now I'm wondering if I was expecting more than they have or if I got a bad batch LOL. 

Then again, I did come from Beats Mixrs (see avatar) so maybe that's the issue.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #18,531 of 23,366
Oh great, now you guys got me all paranoid. I picked up a pair at Brookstone and while the bass is definitely prominent, it's not crushing, now I'm wondering if I was expecting more than they have or if I got a bad batch LOL. 

You're not paranoid mate. The bass isn't crushing at all. It's just not neutral a la Sennheiser. To my ears this is a "Good thing". Enjoy.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #18,532 of 23,366

Yours are probably fine. "Prominent" is a much better description of my M-100's bass than "crushing." It's big, but not sloppily booming all over the place or pounding every other frequency into oblivion.
dt880smile.png
It's the "almost no bass at all" comments that have my eyebrow raised.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #18,533 of 23,366
You're not paranoid mate. The bass isn't crushing at all. It's just not neutral a la Sennheiser. To my ears this is a "Good thing". Enjoy.

Yours are probably fine. "Prominent" is a much better description of my M-100's bass than "crushing." It's big, but not sloppily booming all over the place or pounding every other frequency into oblivion.
dt880smile.png
It's the "almost no bass at all" comments that have my eyebrow raised.

LOL well okay. I'm just a big hip hop, metal, and electronica listener so I was hoping to be able to rattle my skull when need be. They're brand new so I'll let them burn in first. Maybe it's that I'm not used to the dual diaphragm design letting the mids/highs shine through quite so clearly, which might be giving the illusion of less powerful bass (not to mention the Mixrs are RIDICULOUSLY sensitive, needing a lower volume setting to push them).

They're comfortable and look pretty rad, but part of me just isn't quite as enamoured with them yet. I'll give 'em time though. I got a month to return, so I might as well.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #18,534 of 23,366
If burn-in exists at all it certainly isn't going to bring more bass. What's your source?

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #18,535 of 23,366
If burn-in exists at all it certainly isn't going to bring more bass. What's your source?

iPhone 5s or Macbook Pro. 

Again, I'm a moronic bass-head. My car has a sub that takes up most of my hatchback and I do play music in a way most would consider unbalanced. 

At the same time, I don't like muddy, unclear, or harsh sounds, and I do listen to other genres that aren't as friendly toward exaggerated low frequencies. So I'm going to keep up with these for a while and see what I think. I've heard that after a little while the lows start to wake up more fully, and honestly after a few hours of nonstop playing they actually do feel like they're doing better, so we'll see. 

All I ask is that if I eventually go back to the Mixrs people don't hate me, LOL. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #18,536 of 23,366
Nothing wrong with your hardware sources anyway. The M-100's are easy to drive. Are you feeding them lossless files? Or at least 320kbps MP3's? That definitely makes a difference.

I have a similar experience car-wise too mate. Two Alpine 12" Type R's in the back of my Golf MKIV along with Type-R components front and Type-G's in the rear. No headphones are going to match that and I wouldn't want them to either, lol.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #18,537 of 23,366
Nothing wrong with your hardware sources anyway. The M-100's are easy to drive. Are you feeding them lossless files? Or at least 320kbps MP3's? That definitely makes a difference.

I have a similar experience car-wise too mate. Two Alpine 12" Type R's in the back of my Golf MKIV along with Type-R components front and Type-G's in the rear. No headphones are going to match that and I wouldn't want them to either, lol.

Spotify, which means 320kbps OGG when coming off my laptop. 

Hah, just running a single JL w3 12 but it's got a big custom box, so while it's not blowing ******** out like your Type R's, it's definitely rattling the windows. Actually I run Type R everywhere else in the car, Alpine amps as well, just opted for the w3 for some reason. 

If I could get headphones that gave me that "catch your breath in your chest" feel? Oh god I'd be right on it, haha. But for now, I'm really enjoying the M100s.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #18,538 of 23,366
I've only owned the M-100's for a week but I'm loving them. Can't take them off. Listening to Crises by Mike Oldfield right now and they're sublime.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #18,539 of 23,366
I've only owned the M-100's for a week but I'm loving them. Can't take them off. Listening to Crises by Mike Oldfield right now and they're sublime.

I'm absolutely impressed. The separation is wonderful. I just need to see if I'm good with the bass output. Admittedly I feel like they ARE opening up a little bit. 

I wonder if it would piss off VMODA if I got a pair of custom shields with a 'b' on them, LOL

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #18,540 of 23,366
You won't get any more bass with burn-in but you might well get better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back