V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #17,851 of 23,366
The cable entry on the right earcup was the dead give-away for me since the m-80 only has a cable entry in the left earcup. I didn't even see the hinge. XD

lol... ithink some people here spending too much time staring at their headphones. 
biggrin.gif
 hahah

if the xs is going to be on-ear, i'm not very interested no matter what the sound sig... i hope v-moda releases a new over-ear (revolver anyone?) w/ the XL pads as the standard pads.

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #17,853 of 23,366
Seriously considering buying these, I have a pair of ATH-M50, what kind of upgrade am I looking at? I listen to IEMs about 99% of the time but I keep hearing good things about these, are they that good.

If you are dissatisfied with the bass from your M50 and really want to add some low-end impact to your music while maintaining quality mids and smooth highs, then yes.

Since you are in Minnesota, you can probably demo them at your nearest Brookstone.

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #17,854 of 23,366
If you are dissatisfied with the bass from your M50 and really want to add some low-end impact to your music while maintaining quality mids and smooth highs, then yes.

Since you are in Minnesota, you can probably demo them at your nearest Brookstone.

Thanks I will give that a try. Never heard of that store but there is one close by.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #17,855 of 23,366
Don't know if someone already said that, but, the BoomPro is back to 1 day availability.

I am starting to look for a mic for my M-100 but something came up to me: is the M-100 surround sound? I love its sound, like A LOT, and it is comfortable for me, just want to know if i can keep them for gaming

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #17,856 of 23,366
  Don't know if someone already said that, but, the BoomPro is back to 1 day availability.

I am starting to look for a mic for my M-100 but something came up to me: is the M-100 surround sound? I love its sound, like A LOT, and it is comfortable for me, just want to know if i can keep them for gaming

Technically no, but since the sound stage is so wide, I have no problem playing games with it (BF4, COD, and such).

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #17,857 of 23,366

you can make any pair of headphones surround sound for gaming w/ an astro mixamp (for console gaming) or a similar product. if you're talking about computer gaming, there are a lot of external sound cards that support DSS. how well that will sound depends on their sound stage I guess. ...aka you will get a much better positional gaming experience w/ a open pair of headphones that has amazing sound stage like the Q701

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #17,859 of 23,366
I don't honestly know why people default to the Astro Mixamp for virtual surround... it's just another surround processor with Dolby Headphone. The original Turtle Beach DSS is easily available on eBay for $90 less, has less hiss, a cleaner bass boost that targets sub-bass, and it also uses Dolby headphone. It just doesn't "mix" chat and game audio volume for you... usually you can do that manually by turning down the game volume in settings while turning the volume "up" on the DSS.

And how do you use Razer Surround with consoles? Short answer: you don't.

If you want surround on a PC, there's no reason to limit yourself to the flat two-dimensional 5.1 (or 7.1) surround of Dolby or Razer unless you want the cheapest options... Creative's internal and external gaming cards, as well as new processing with AMD called TrueAudio, can position audio above and below you for a full 3D audio experience with supported games (and do at least as good as Dolby for the rest).

I made a post in my "If I Knew Then..." thread linked in my signature with lots of info and samples, check it out if you're curious.
-----

I thought the M-100 actually did a fair job of creating an image of which direction a sound came from, but not as naturally or "outside your head" as the flagship AKGs and several other open headphones I've owned or heard.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #17,860 of 23,366
  Or you can do it for free with Razer Surround.

I am actually downloading that right now!!! lol... free only until 12/31 btw.

I'm assuming DeeToti was talking about console gaming, because most serious PC gamers already have nice computers w/ DSS capabilities & software.

I don't honestly know why people default to the Astro Mixamp for virtual surround... it's just another surround processor with Dolby Headphone. The original Turtle Beach DSS is easily available on eBay for $90 less, has less hiss, a cleaner bass boost that targets sub-bass, and it also uses Dolby headphone. It just doesn't "mix" chat and game audio volume for you... usually you can do that manually by turning down the game volume in settings while turning the volume "up" on the DSS.

lol... astro mixamp pro is just the classic example. kinda like if someone say high-end headphones, you think beats/bose :wink: hahah I kid.

If you are looking for more budget friendly options I would go for the creative recon3D: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Recon3D-External-Enhancer/dp/B005FKT70O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387089511&sr=8-2&keywords=creative+recon

however, considering that the PS4 and Xbox One just came out, I would wait for on this kind of purchase.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #17,861 of 23,366
Oh, I've never heard about the Recon3D USB.

JK, got a big fat review of that in my signature too. Short version: it's probably the best single device to do surround for consoles and computers (one of the few with native Mac drivers!).
I mentioned my post, which is more of a guide, because I've spent a fair amount of time comparing different options and wanted to provide a place others could get the basics without derailing this M-100 thread.

I don't think the Mixamp deserves to become like another "Kleenex," "Windex," or "Ping-Pong" product where people know a brand rather than an actual product category, that's heavily opinion-based I know (and Astro did recently improve their headphones a little) but I think the Beats/Bose comparison is an apt metaphor of value; IMO the chat "mixing" feature isn't enough to outweigh the price premium over other options, and also each newer version so far has more background hiss than the last generation.

One more thing, the Xbox One currently does NOT support the Dolby Digital Live 5.1 output through optical needed to make most headphone surround devices work. It can output DDL through HDMI, but for now nothing but a receiver can make accurate headphone surround from an Xbox One.

Please excuse the bajillion edits to this post... For some reason, my iPad's web browser keeps crashing and I have to retype most of what I wrote.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #17,862 of 23,366
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #17,865 of 23,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back