V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 13, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #17,821 of 23,366
Ok, so I probably made the wrong decision purchasing these or I'm not allowing enough burn in time. 

I listen to a lot of rock/metal with some rap/pop here and there, almost no electronic. 

I have been listening to the band A Day To Remember and it sounds terrible in my opinion. Granted this is out of the box listening, will burn in give me that much improvement? vocals sound muffled and behind the bass. Granted these are supposedly a bass heavy headphone but i've read a lot of positive reviews stating that its not overpowering. 

I mainly wanted a set of headphones for subway and travel. I have HD650's, DT880's, M50's, HD280 and a bunch more but nothing really fit that portable mode for me. 
Would the Sennheiser Momentum suit my style of listening better? I like the foldability of the M100 which is it's main draw (and the vast positive reviews). 
Price isn't a factor. These M100's might be going back to Amazon. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #17,822 of 23,366
  Ok, so I probably made the wrong decision purchasing these or I'm not allowing enough burn in time. 

I listen to a lot of rock/metal with some rap/pop here and there, almost no electronic. 

I have been listening to the band A Day To Remember and it sounds terrible in my opinion. Granted this is out of the box listening, will burn in give me that much improvement? vocals sound muffled and behind the bass. Granted these are supposedly a bass heavy headphone but i've read a lot of positive reviews stating that its not overpowering. 

I mainly wanted a set of headphones for subway and travel. I have HD650's, DT880's, M50's, HD280 and a bunch more but nothing really fit that portable mode for me. 
Would the Sennheiser Momentum suit my style of listening better? I like the foldability of the M100 which is it's main draw (and the vast positive reviews). 
Price isn't a factor. These M100's might be going back to Amazon. 

lol... the M100s are basically dubstep headphones yo.

yea, it takes a while to get used to that v-moda v-shaped signature and dat thumping bass boost. if you don't really listen to genres that take advantage of that amazinggg bass, these might not the right headphones for you. however, i think you should at least try em out daily for 1-2 weeks b/c it really takes a bit of time for your brain to adjust to a new sound signature. in terms of durability/portability, no other headphones can come close w/ the great tank-like build quality and tiny folding size.

For your genres of rock/metal and portability, I would highly suggest the Sony MDR-1R or the Sennheiser Momentum Overear. The MDR-1R are slightly colored; from what I remember they hadda really warm, rich sound w/ really lush mids & full bass, which would really spice up the meaty guitary parts of your songs. The Momentum seemed very flat/neutral & technical to me; they hit very sharply & clearly. Both headphones sound great for most everything... just a matter of preference.

For portability, the MDR-1R are definitely hands-down the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried (like you're wearing a warm poofy cloud of music) and the earcups swivel so you can wear em around your neck very comfortably w/o the edges of earcups rubbing up against your neck/collarbone (...I'm sure you all experienced this, but the M100 seem to have a metal edge that hits my collarbone when i wear em around my neck & they clamp liike a noose around my neck... super uncomfortable to wear around your neck). Downside is that the MDR-1R comes w/ a soft case, but you can easily find a random headphone hard case for em. The Momentum doesn't fold at all, but it comes w/ a hard case. The amazingly thing about the Momentums is how light they are. Like seriously weightless compared to the M100s. I found that the over-ear momentums were actually more like on-ears for me and I experienced some slight discomfort after long listening sessions, but that shouldn't be a problem on-the-go. The MDR-1R can be found much cheaper than the Momentums nowadays. I've seen the MDR-1Rs under $200 on sale & I believe the Momentums went down to $300 or less during black friday.

I had the MDR-1R, Momentums, and M100 plus a few headphones for a few weeks at the same time, so I was able to do a lot of comparing. I really loved the AKG K550's sound, but that's seriously too big to be truly portable.

If price isn't an issue, you have TONS of amazing choices. Even more if you aren't specifically looking for an over-ear pair. The V-Moda M80 is supposed to be a really balanced on-ear pair of headphones, and B&W have a bunch of pricey on-ears (P5/P7) that are pretty light/portable (only demoed for a few songs, so I can't really say much about the sound). On the cheap, logitech's UE over-ears series got seriously discounted recently (and they fold up!). If money really ain't a thang (like $1000+ is chill), some really high-end, closed noise-isolated, portable headphones I heard good things about are the Ultrasone Signature Pro series and the Beyerdynamic T5p.

Hope my recs are slightly helpful & you find your perfect pair of portable headphones!!! Give the M100s while tho, you might actually warm up to em. 
regular_smile .gif

PS: For the M100s, there is NO discernible sound difference after burn-in. I actually had two M100s at the same time: "burned-in" one for a few days & left the other one untouched. Then, I did a blind test to see if I could accurately pick out which was which. Needless to say, I could not hear any difference. HOWEVER, it really does take some time for you to adjust to a new sound signature. Your brain is comfortable & happy w/ what is familiar, so when you switch to something new, it takes a while for your brain to adjust. Good luck!!

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #17,823 of 23,366
Other then my problem; I'm looking into getting a DAC/Amp. I would be using it mostly with my MacBook Air, so it has to be portable. I’ve been recommended the Fiio E17 earlier in the thread, but I have also seen the AudioQuest Dragonfly. Between these two, which would be the best for the M-100’s?

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #17,824 of 23,366
Other then my problem; I'm looking into getting a DAC/Amp. I would be using it mostly with my MacBook Air, so it has to be portable. I’ve been recommended the Fiio E17 earlier in the thread, but I have also seen the AudioQuest Dragonfly. Between these two, which would be the best for the M-100’s?

If you're looking in to an external soundcard, maybe you can put the Geek Out in the list.
http://mustgeekout.blogspot.nl/2013/09/geek-vs-others-v2.html
http://mustgeekout.com/

I'll be getting an Out and Pulse, so I'll let you all know how those sound with the M-100.

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #17,825 of 23,366
If you're looking in to an external soundcard, maybe you can put the Geek Out in the list.

I'll be getting an Out and Pulse, so I'll let you all know how those sound with the M-100.

Those look very good as well. Do you know when the release date is for the Geek Out? Has one been set yet?

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #17,826 of 23,366

I haven't listened to the E17, but I do own a DragonFly.  The DF sounds great IMO, and they just dropped the price of it to $99.  They have a new model coming out, which I also have, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it.  The new one is $150 though, so unless there is a huge difference the old one is probably the best value.  

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #17,827 of 23,366

Those look very good as well. Do you know when the release date is for the Geek Out? Has one been set yet?

From their Kickstarter campaign, it looks like it'll be out early next year (i.e. next month-ish).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #17,828 of 23,366

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of these.  They look pretty interesting.  

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #17,829 of 23,366

I dunno what your budget is, but if I was looking for a portable dac/amp combo, I would get the jds c5d. Fiio has a lot of good more-budget-friendly dac/amp options: the Fiio E07K Andes is cheaper w/ better battery life if you don't need an coaxial & optical connector of the E17.

If you're willing to eschew portability, you can really increase your performance:price ratio.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #17,830 of 23,366
  I dunno what your budget is, but if I was looking for a portable dac/amp combo, I would get the jds c5d. Fiio has a lot of good more-budget-friendly dac/amp options: the Fiio E07K Andes is cheaper w/ better battery life if you don't need an coaxial & optical connector of the E17.

If you're willing to eschew portability, you can really increase your performance:price ratio.

I would like to keep the budget between $100 - $150, maybe $200 if the dac/amp was really good. I'd really like it to be portable though, something I can just pickup and take with my MacBook Air.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #17,831 of 23,366

I would like to keep the budget between $100 - $150, maybe $200 if the dac/amp was really good. I'd really like it to be portable though, something I can just pickup and take with my MacBook Air.

Honestly, you don't really need an amp for the M100. They sound perfectly fine just plug & play. The increase in sound quality on the M100 for the price you're throwing down for a dac/amp isn't really worth it IMO. The M100s were designed to be portable, low impedance, and able to be driven by computers/phones. For high impedance headphones or headphones that scale up greatly, the investment of amp makes a lot more sense b/c you can much more clearly hear the large jump in sound quality. Even if you buy the cheapest portable DAC/amp combo for the M100, it's at least $100 (1/3 of the price of your headphones)... for maybe a 5-10% improvement in sound at most. Remember there are free ways to improve the sound quality by encoding your mp3 at higher bitrates or encoding FLAC or using the EQ... and those things have a MUCH greater impact on the sound than an amp/dac. Your Macbook Air should already have a pretty decent soundcard.

I think you should only consider an amp/dac if you are listening to your M100 and feel like you are missing something in the sound. And even then, it's probably wiser to just get a different pair of headphones. I guess if you really love the M100s specific sound signature/stylish design, but want a slight change in the sound that you couldn't achieve w/ the EQ, and someone here had the same kinda issue that was fixed w/ a certain dac/amp combo. But if you're only buying an amp/dac combo for the M100 b/c ppl here all are raving about their dac/amps, I think that's pretty foolish. The sonic changes after adding a DAC/amp for the M100 isn't as large as it might sound from the comments here... aka it's not a $100-worth of noticeable sonic improvement.

I would recommend that you listen to your M100 as is for a month and see if you can pick out anything wrong w/ it. If you aren't coming from a high-end audiophile set-up, the M100 sounds amazing as is.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #17,832 of 23,366

I'd take a look at the new Audioengine D3 too. I have the D1, similar price but bigger, but the D3 is tiny so very portable with laptop use.
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D3-24-Bit-DAC
Love their products great sound quality, usually quite neutral (where as the Fiios can be a bit warmer, I've got an E17 as well)
I use a Fiio X3 with my M100s and the go and its a great combo for truly portable listening.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #17,833 of 23,366

I don't think I want to remove the screws and void my warranty possibly. The included warranty card in the box said they don't cover cosmetic issues, but I don't know if this is, or something a bit more serious. It sort of seems like it's structurally compromised. Straight out of the box I saw this. Also, how common is the issue? Is there a high chance if I did an exchange that I'd receive another unit with this issue? Also, who would be better to contact, Amazon or V-MODA? Who could resolve the issue faster? It's just a little disheartening too to see this issue. V-MODA always seems to have top notch build quality. My brother has some LP2's and they are built like a tank.

How good is the JDS C5D compared to other DAC/amp under $500 like the iFi iDac,Schiit Modi Magni,or Vali combo,Centrance DACport,HRT offerings,Audio GD.......There are quite a few quality DAC/amps under $500.I've been researching for a while.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #17,834 of 23,366
I haven't listened to the E17, but I do own a DragonFly.  The DF sounds great IMO, and they just dropped the price of it to $99.  They have a new model coming out, which I also have, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it.  The new one is $150 though, so unless there is a huge difference the old one is probably the best value.  

Which other model do they/you have?The only DAC i see on their website is the Dragonfly.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #17,835 of 23,366
I apologize for going of topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back