V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #17,806 of 23,366
I thought I'd share this beta version of the Crossfade M-100 video we have been working on, it is almost complete and has taken a lot of hard work to do!  It will still change a bit before its done (the lens, music fades, sound fx etc), but its getting very close.

Enjoy...

PS - I need to catch up on the thread, my apologies - can someone DM me a cliff notes of the recent pages?  VERY busy with something new for everyone to complement M-100!

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #17,807 of 23,366
Personally, I feel like there is a ldroppmprovement in the usability department for the AK100/AK120.  They sound great, but the screen sucks and software is nothing to write home about.  They are also excessively pvery ed, IMO, even for an audiophile part.  Consider a 64GB iPod touch as a competitive product.  I wouldn't expect it to be nearly twice the price.  Sure, there are benefits from an audio quality standpoint, but there are also many drawbacks.  I feel like they are charging for those benefits, and ignoring the obvious shortcomings.  I think $500 for the AK100 would be reasonable.  Maybe $700 for the AK120.  The current pricing is just too aggressive, in a bad way.  This is especially true when you consider that the company making them is known for their VERY inexpensive players.  

Sorry for the OT rant.  I really love the fact that someone is putting together a quality iPod alternative for audiophiles.  I just hope they develop a desire to actually compete.  :)  

Very true.Any player now with a good DAC is going to be over priced for anyone on a tight budget.And I believe companies like apple are to blame for changing the good audio quality in the iPods to worse and who knows what their objective with sound quality in their products is now.But I have heard the AK100 and it does sound very good.Still not worthy of their price tag IMO.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #17,809 of 23,366
I just received my M-100’s from Amazon today. They sound absolutely fantastic! There is a small problem though. The piece on the the end of the headband is separated on the left side. Here is a picture of the issue (Sorry for the blurriness, my iPhone just could't focus on them for some reason.)

Here is a picture of the what I believe is the normal right side.

Unless this is normal? Will this effect the sound in anyway? Also, will this be a weak point on the headband now that could fully break? Is there anything I or V-MODA can do to fix this? I have tried simply pinching it, and it closes, but doesn't stick. Or is it best not to worry that much about it?

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #17,810 of 23,366
  I just received my M-100’s from Amazon today. They sound absolutely fantastic! There is a small problem though. The piece on the the end of the headband is separated on the left side. Here is a picture of the issue.

Unless this is normal? Will this effect the sound in anyway? Also, will this be a weak point on the headband now that could fully break? Is there anything I or V-MODA can do to fix this? I have tried simply pinching it, and it closes, but doesn't stick. Or is it best not to worry that much about it.

There's a small screw on the inside of the headband right behind there.  Did it just come loose?

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #17,812 of 23,366

It doesn't appear to be loose by just touching it. How would I check for sure though?

On some of them the suede-like material on the headband gets pinched between the two pieces of plastic.  In order to fix this you have to remove the screws and tuck the headband material in and re-screw the wingplates back on.  It is fairly tricky to get it right, but should be possible.  Just don't over-torque the screws, otherwise the plastic will break.  

Or just call Amazon or V-MODA and see if they will replace.  That said, none of this will affect the sound.  

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #17,813 of 23,366
  On some of them the suede-like material on the headband gets pinched between the two pieces of plastic.  In order to fix this you have to remove the screws and tuck the headband material in and re-screw the wingplates back on.  It is fairly tricky to get it right, but should be possible.  Just don't over-torque the screws, otherwise the plastic will break.  

Or just call Amazon or V-MODA and see if they will replace.  That said, none of this will affect the sound.  

I don't think I want to remove the screws and void my warranty possibly. The included warranty card in the box said they don't cover cosmetic issues, but I don't know if this is, or something a bit more serious. It sort of seems like it's structurally compromised. Straight out of the box I saw this. Also, how common is the issue? Is there a high chance if I did an exchange that I'd receive another unit with this issue? Also, who would be better to contact, Amazon or V-MODA? Who could resolve the issue faster? It's just a little disheartening too to see this issue. V-MODA always seems to have top notch build quality. My brother has some LP2's and they are built like a tank.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #17,815 of 23,366

I don't think I want to remove the screws and void my warranty possibly. The included warranty card in the box said they don't cover cosmetic issues, but I don't know if this is, or something a bit more serious. It sort of seems like it's structurally compromised. Straight out of the box I saw this. Also, how common is the issue? Is there a high chance if I did an exchange that I'd receive another unit with this issue? Also, who would be better to contact, Amazon or V-MODA? Who could resolve the issue faster? It's just a little disheartening too to see this issue. V-MODA always seems to have top notch build quality. My brother has some LP2's and they are built like a tank.

Chat with Amazon, I'm sure they'll replace them for you. I haven't heard of this issue before, it's probably a very low probability thing

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #17,816 of 23,366
Yeah I think I will. It's a pretty big gap pretty much down to the wire that runs inside of the wing plate, and I'm afraid that a tug on that wire could break the wing plate as it seems like it's already under a lot of pressure as it's stretched pretty hard. Especially since I paid a lot of money for them, I really want a "perfect" pair. Does anyone know if Amazon pays return shipping? Also, is there anyway Amazon can do like an advanced exchange type deal where they can charge my card for another pair, send those, and then I send back these when the new ones arrive, then they refund the money once my current ones arrive? Or do they only offer standard exchange?

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #17,817 of 23,366
I just received my M-100’s from Amazon today. They sound absolutely fantastic! There is a small problem though. The piece on the the end of the headband is separated on the left side. Here is a picture of the issue (Sorry for the blurriness, my iPhone just could't focus on them for some reason.)

Here is a picture of the what I believe is the normal right side.

Unless this is normal? Will this effect the sound in anyway? Also, will this be a weak point on the headband now that could fully break? Is there anything I or V-MODA can do to fix this? I have tried simply pinching it, and it closes, but doesn't stick. Or is it best not to worry that much about it?

From what I've discerned while reading this thread, this is the most common build issue when it comes to the M-100. Either cracked wing plates from over-tightening screws or shield damage.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #17,819 of 23,366

Have you seen this issue before with the wing plate being split right out of the box?

I've seen it before.  It's not very common.  It really is a quick fix and you're not going to void your warranty by taking care of it yourself.  It's not broken, there is just a piece of cloth in between to two plates.  If you don't want to deal with it yourself though, just call Amazon.   

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #17,820 of 23,366
  I've seen it before.  It's not very common.  It really is a quick fix and you're not going to void your warranty by taking care of it yourself.  It's not broken, there is just a piece of cloth in between to two plates.  If you don't want to deal with it yourself though, just call Amazon.   

I've setup an exchange with Amazon. They'll ship out the new pair and I just return the defective unit within 30 days and it'll be all good. They're even paying return shipping! I just hope the new pair doesn't have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back