V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #16,741 of 23,366

Hm. Even more recessed mids doesn't sound promising. Thanks for sharing, though, and please keep us updated if your impressions evolve with time/pad break-in.

Another curiosity of mine: Is there any way the M-100/XL combo will fit in the original hard case...or is that a no-go?

To me they sound just a tiny bit more recessed, but like it said it may just be from the change in soundstage. 

It does fit, but folding the M-100 with the XL pads on feels strange, the pads press against each other pretty hard and compress a tiny bit. If you wanna carry the M-100 with the XL pads and both cables you may want to get LP case which provides more than enough room.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #16,742 of 23,366
For anyone wondering how black XL Pads look on the white M-100's. I got matte black shields to match them.
I am digging how the XL pads feel and look. 

BTW: they fit in the m-100 case just fine with the XL pads on.

I got the same combo! Absolutely digging how that looks!

Its a shame I forgot to request a design in my plates:frowning2:

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #16,745 of 23,366
Got my XL pads today too.  As others have said, the M100s with XL pads are tons more comfortable.   That alone is worth the price of admission. 

For those who have yet to install them, the pads do have a correct orientation.  Felt silly after realizing I was installing them upside-down (hint: The seam goes down).  The attachment is via a series of lipped tabs around the interior of the cups, which grip the stiff ring on the back of the pad.  

They sound a little more forward now.  Not sure whether that is a reduction in something or a boost in something else, but I like it.  Maybe Tyll at InnerFidelity can do a frequency response test with the new pads -- he's been known to do that before with some well-regarded Denon models that have aftermarket pads.  

They also isolate a lot better when the pads face each other off of the head.  I wonder if there is less sound leakage when worn compared to the stock pads.  

In terms of how they look in the mirror:  Still pretty low profile.  I think the smooth surface of the pad looks better than the crinkly look of the original pad.  They don't stick out any more than before, in my view. 

One more thing:  How do you feel about the small holes on the interior of the pad exposing the blue foam underneath?  I might use a Sharpie to color the foam...

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #16,746 of 23,366
  To me they sound just a tiny bit more recessed, but like it said it may just be from the change in soundstage. 

It does fit, but folding the M-100 with the XL pads on feels strange, the pads press against each other pretty hard and compress a tiny bit. If you wanna carry the M-100 with the XL pads and both cables you may want to get LP case which provides more than enough room.

Thanks for the info. The LP case is a good call; I might end up going that route (I've had too many build issues with my M-100s to carry them around case-less), assuming my VTF XL pads ever ship.
cool.gif

Got my XL pads today too.  As others have said, the M100s with XL pads are tons more comfortable.  

In terms of how they look in the mirror:  Still pretty low profile...They don't stick out any more than before, in my view. 

Were you one of the users whose ear(s) touched the driver housing with the original pads? Despite the XLs not appearing to stick out any more than before, is there more space between your ears and the drivers with them on?

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #16,747 of 23,366
Sep 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #16,750 of 23,366

M100 w/ Alpha Pads.  :)

Thats basically what the XL pads are, and they are glorious. I don't think I'll have any more issue wearing them for whatever amount of time I need.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #16,752 of 23,366
Maybe it´s time to reorder the M-100... 
rolleyes.gif

Thank you all for the pictures and the impressions, greatly appreciated. I agree these should have been the pads coming with the headphones from the beginning. Looking forward to see more comments on the comfort and sound departments. If they would bring the mids slightly forward that would be absolutely a reason to buy them again.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #16,753 of 23,366
Sep 26, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #16,755 of 23,366
  How fast is V-Moda at replying to customer service emails?

In my experience, it's variable. Sometimes it'll be super quick (as in multiple replies within the same day), and sometimes it takes a couple attempts over the course of a week or two to get a response. Not that I'm emailing them all the time or anything...I just had a few back-and-forths with customer support when cracks started appearing in different parts of my M-100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back