V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #16,730 of 23,366
I think the M-100 looks better around the neck with the XL pads, instead of one side constantly forcing it's way to the bottom the now sit symmetrically. I can't wait to hear some other people's impressions on the sound.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #16,731 of 23,366
It took me a while to put on the XL pads. I had to use quite a considerable amount of force to push them into the cups. 

However, the comfort levels are night and day compared to the standard ones. Had them on for 3 hours today and I had ZERO fatigue at all. 
As for sound, I couldn't really tell the difference between the XL and regular. However I'm no "audiophile" compared to everyone on this forum haha.

The only sad part is that the gray XL pads are now on sale, and that was the color I wanted. Oh wells.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #16,732 of 23,366
  I think the M-100 looks better around the neck with the XL pads, instead of one side constantly forcing it's way to the bottom the now sit symmetrically. I can't wait to hear some other people's impressions on the sound.

In the meantime, how about your impressions? 
confused.gif

wink.gif

I ordered by paypal too, still no luck. Who knows, this happens sometimes with products though.

My order, which I placed within the first day of availability, was also via PayPal...so yeah, no correlation there. I wonder: Have any of the early adopters seen their XL pads shipped yet?

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #16,733 of 23,366
  It's been 7 months since I have used this product and I am putting in some updates with regards to the toughness of the product.
We all know these headphones are created and advertised with "Toughness" in mind. Unfortunately I found 4 physical weak spots in this product:

1. The leather"ish" material of the headband can be easily be scratched with your own nails. I could imagine when a cat accidentally scratched it, it would be a disaster and the look can be easily be ruined.

2. The sliding mechanism. Inside the headband that holds/encloses the sliding mechanism can easily snap-out and ruin the sliding mechanism when the headband is accidentally twisted like using the headphone while lying in bed. Also, when putting/wearing the headphones to your head the tendency is you will hold the headphones to the metal part that holds the speakers on both sides. This causes a lot of tension to the materials that holds/encloses the sliding mechanism inside the headband and can cause the sliding mechanism break apart. Also, it could probably "rip-out" from the soft fabric underneath the headband, that would be really ugly when that happens. When I noticed that, I was careful of holding the headphone from there on. But I was annoyed at that so what I did is I reinforced the material that holds/encloses sliding mechanism from the outside of the headband with 2 nylon cable ties at the edge of the sliding mechanism holder. The headphones feel more sturdy now no matter how carefree I handle it when wearing it.

3. The folding mechanism material can rust easily. I use this headphones when jogging and when sweat gets there, it can rust easily. So when I noticed that, I clean the folding mechanism with WD40. Not sure how V-Moda can improve this one in their future or next production of M100s.

4. The replaceable plastic part at both ends of the headband can easily CRACK (The one with 3 screws each where the L and R is printed). Mine has a crack already in both sides.

Of course I can have them replaced free of charge, but I live in the Philippines and it will be a pain to ship it back to have it replaced since there is no distributor here. Anyhow these are the things I noticed about this product and I hope they can address these in their next production or in the future release. I really enjoy these CANS the most and with that I use it the most for the past 7 months and I really love these headphones despite some material weaknesses. I don't abuse these headphones even though it is advertised as "Built like a tank". I just use it normally. But I wish I could be more carefree to handle it.

But, but…music doesn't break headphones, extreme listeners do!

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #16,734 of 23,366
But, but…music doesn't break headphones, extreme listeners do!

Yeah, he's right. I think any headphones with your usage would break the poor thing.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #16,735 of 23,366

In the meantime, how about your impressions? 
confused.gif

wink.gif

I've only had about 2 hours of listening time with them thus far and I have to say they sound a bit different. Keep in mind all my opinions are made while using my 7th gen iPod classic> Silver LOD>Fiio E11 rig. Soundstage has definitely expanded, it now sounds less like your sitting in a hallway and more like you are sitting in a good sized room. The bass seems to hit just as hard as it did, with the same amount of rumble and really no noticeable difference from the stock pads to the XL pads. The Mids on the XL pads seem to be a maybe a little bit more recessed or I might just be perceiving it that way because of the increase in soundstage. Highs also seem to sound the same as they did with the stock pads. The sound took me a few tracks to get used to, but now I can't imagine going back to the stock pads.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #16,736 of 23,366
The XL pads are winner in my book. Sound quality still the same for me and the comfort level has improved greatly. Kudos to Val for listening to his customers and designing and releasing this product. The only observation I can make is that in my opinion THESE pads are the ones that should have been released with the headphones in the first place.

A+

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #16,737 of 23,366
  I've only had about 2 hours of listening time with them thus far and I have to say they sound a bit different. Keep in mind all my opinions are made while using my 7th gen iPod classic> Silver LOD>Fiio E11 rig. Soundstage has definitely expanded, it now sounds less like your sitting in a hallway and more like you are sitting in a good sized room. The bass seems to hit just as hard as it did, with the same amount of rumble and really no noticeable difference from the stock pads to the XL pads. The Mids on the XL pads seem to be a maybe a little bit more recessed or I might just be perceiving it that way because of the increase in soundstage. Highs also seem to sound the same as they did with the stock pads. The sound took me a few tracks to get used to, but now I can't imagine going back to the stock pads.

Hm. Even more recessed mids doesn't sound promising. Thanks for sharing, though, and please keep us updated if your impressions evolve with time/pad break-in.

Another curiosity of mine: Is there any way the M-100/XL combo will fit in the original hard case...or is that a no-go?

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #16,738 of 23,366
The XL pads are winner in my book. Sound quality still the same for me and the comfort level has improved greatly. Kudos to Val for listening to his customers and designing and releasing this product. The only observation I can make is that in my opinion THESE pads are the ones that should have been released with the headphones in the first place.

A+

Would you agree that the XL pads look better than the stock pads? In my opinion the XL pads are so much sleeker than the stock pads, definitely a step up in the looks department.

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #16,739 of 23,366
For anyone wondering how black XL Pads look on the white M-100's. I got matte black shields to match them.
I am digging how the XL pads feel and look. 

BTW: they fit in the m-100 case just fine with the XL pads on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back