V-Moda LP2 Review
Dec 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #46 of 142

Quote:
For a studio like, but "juicy" sound that is very balanced (but flat highs, not spiked artificially so you can listen louder than treble-high headphones), M-80 or the future M-100 or ___ is the right guy for you."

you mean there's another secret prototype that's coming out besides the M-100?

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #47 of 142
I know that the thing I'm going to ask won't make sense because they're in a different league but how does this compare to the M-80? I have one right now which I use for casual listening and DJing mostly. But I find the bass quite lacking somehow especially for house music. I wonder if I should get this instead. 
confused_face.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #48 of 142
I finally got my LP2's today.  WOW, I am impressed.   Let me start off by saying I have never owned a decent pair of headphones and have only sampled the different kinds at the apple store.  I couldn't be happier with these LP2's though.   They sound great, and the quality seems to far superior to anything else I have seen.  

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #49 of 142

Quote:
I know that the thing I'm going to ask won't make sense because they're in a different league but how does this compare to the M-80? I have one right now which I use for casual listening and DJing mostly. But I find the bass quite lacking somehow especially for house music. I wonder if I should get this instead. 
confused_face.gif

LP2s do have quite a lot more bass. Just compare these two graphs:

M-80 just peaks at 110dB at around 50Hz but rolls off quite a bit in the higher bass frequencies and doesn't pack that much punch around the mid/upperbass frequencies while LP2's bass lies there evenly around 115~118dB in the entire bassrange! Besides the M80 have a slightly more forward mids and highs but it seems more unevenly so but yea this also contributes further to less percieved bass so there should be quite a night and day difference regarding bassresponse between these two. If you're a basshead then LP2 would probably be the way to go. You probably hear details in mids and highs better on M-80 but there's always a trade-off and it's down to what you prioritize. Now V-Moda themselves recommend the LP2s for DJing and house music though but that may not mean much... Supposedly these LP2s also have a bit better soundstage/positioning.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #50 of 142

Ohlawd, I've had my M-80's for a bit and I love them and now there's a new set of V-Moda's that are more full size. This hobby is going to be the death of me. Will have to read this later.

My one complaint with M-80's originally were that they felt a bit stiff. So, if these sound just as good or better, and are more comfortable, I'm dooooooomed.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #51 of 142

Quote:

Ohlawd, I've had my M-80's for a bit and I love them and now there's a new set of V-Moda's that are more full size. This hobby is going to be the death of me. Will have to read this later.

My one complaint with M-80's originally were that they felt a bit stiff. So, if these sound just as good or better, and are more comfortable, I'm dooooooomed.

Well for some1 that likes M80 sound I'd rather wait for M100 which is most likely less bassy than LP2 but has the same mid/high forward signature of M-80 I could imagine. The LP2s are like VERY bassy, only if you're truly a basshead I'd imagine you'd like LP2 cuz they seem XB500-bassheavy, ie. not only bass you hear but bass you can feel, V-Moda says that themselves on the product page. :p M-100 will be like a fullsized version of M-80.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #52 of 142

Quote:
Well for some1 that likes M80 sound I'd rather wait for M100 which is most likely less bassy than LP2 but has the same mid/high forward signature of M-80 I could imagine. The LP2s are like VERY bassy, only if you're truly a basshead I'd imagine you'd like LP2 cuz they seem XB500-bassheavy, ie. not only bass you hear but bass you can feel, V-Moda says that themselves on the product page. :p M-100 will be like a fullsized version of M-80.

Well, if the LP2 still has some very good mid/high while being basshead, it would be ideal. Paired up with the ZO2? My god. I'm drooling. I need to stop.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #53 of 142

Quote:

Well, if the LP2 still has some very good mid/high while being basshead, it would be ideal. Paired up with the ZO2? My god. I'm drooling. I need to stop.

I'm still new at this so please do bear with me. If the LP2 is already categorised as bass heavy, why would you pair it with the ZO2? Unless you're going to start heading towards the Dr.Dre(d) signatures?

I would have thought the M-80+ZO2 would be a more logical mix?

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #54 of 142
ZO2 can still sound nicely with the lower contour levels even with bass heavy headphones, nothing forces you to max the bass on it. I used even ZO with XB500 (lvl 1-2) and it starts sounding even better in the whole range thanks to SmartVektor. ZO isn't only like a bass boost amp. It has a something called SmartVektor which brings a change to the whole range making it more forward and dynamic sounding, plus a slight improvement in soundstage. It may not be for neutral listeners but for me I couldn't imagine listening without ZO anymore, it brings that sound I've always been looking for in headphones.

Here's a demo of the SmartVektor sound, I'm sure you notice that there's more to it than just boosted bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14vtHqJ5mPU

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #55 of 142

Quote:
I'm still new at this so please do bear with me. If the LP2 is already categorised as bass heavy, why would you pair it with the ZO2? Unless you're going to start heading towards the Dr.Dre(d) signatures?

I would have thought the M-80+ZO2 would be a more logical mix?

The ZO2 is definitely an increase in bass, but it makes all aspects of the music fuller, to me as well. It acts as a pretty good amp with it's high gain mode, and I even use it in my car. That said, I've used the M-80 and the ZO2 and it works beautifully. The problem is that the M-80 are still relatively stiff, and while they are portable, I find it becoming more and more situational that I find a chance to use them.

I won't sell them or give them away, but if the LP2 is bass heavy, while keeping the mid/highs pretty solid, I can use the ZO2 and even the Fiio E17 when that finally comes out. I can definitely find myself keeping the contour levels of the ZO2 relatively low, so it would boost the bass a bit but just make the entire package vibrant in the process.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #56 of 142

I also forgot to mention that while I -love- my M-80's, I think they have a good amount of bass to satisfy. However, my ZO2 really transformed it from being a good meal to a full course dinner, so to speak. It kept the mids/highs while giving me the bass boost that I craved. From what it seems, the LP2 offers more bass while still having very good mids/highs. If the mids/highs seem to be as comparable to the M-80, while satisfying that basshead in me, I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't love the LP2. ESPECIALLY considering that they're bigger then the M-80's which seems like it would be more comfortable.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #57 of 142

Quote:

Then consider yourself doomed. I've not tried the m80, but my LP2 are quite comfortable and sound amazing. These are bass heavy, but its not overpowering and doesn't interfere with the mids or highs.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #58 of 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then consider yourself doomed. I've not tried the m80, but my LP2 are quite comfortable and sound amazing. These are bass heavy, but its not overpowering and doesn't interfere with the mids or highs.

I'm dooooooooooomed.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #60 of 142

Quote:
confused_face.gif

I compared the two Vmoda models many times in this thread and the m80 thread.  Quite simply, if you listen to house, get the LP2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back