V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 14, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #226 of 1,160
  I'll be honest and say I'm taken aback by the extension of the shield voucher. I wanted to wait out at least some kind of initial impression, but when members in this forum had originally noticed the first voucher ended on 8/31, I rushed to order. Now people will be able to order before October, still get the voucher, and see initial reviews and impressions while HF forum members are the ones who've been taken along for the blind ride. Extra shady.

Except that you've got 60 days to return them if you don't like them.  Yes, you had to order early thinking the voucher would expire...so I get the frustration overall, but giving MORE people a chance to experience the shields isn't really a shady practice.  You can always return your headphones if you don't like them...so it's not like there is an inherent risk ordering early. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #227 of 1,160
Finally got the cans. Initial impressions are that the buttons are very loose and cheap feeling, they definitely require some confidence to think that they wont break over years of use - especially the Power button. It's unfortunate they went with a slide mechanism as opposed to a simple press mechanic. 

I'm eager to test these against my m100s in terms of sound. Plugged in, they sound fantastic as you would expect. Bluetooth has that hiss underlying the sound that is noticeable during quieter parts of the music, which could be headache inducing over longer periods of listening. The audio quality and sound stage also definitely suffer quite a bit. The wireless microphone quality seems very solid so I'm happy about that. The white has that metal trim which is a fingerprint magnet which is probably normal for the white / black silver styles. 

Overall, I think it's pretty inaccurate to say these sound almost as good wireless as they do wired as that simple isn't possible yet with technology and unfortunately these aren't the cans to make that break through. At least that's how it sounds to my ears. However, I still love the option of going wireless with a good pair of cans so it may still convince me to keep these. The button quality is definitely my biggest gripe right now. 

Headphone jack unfortunately is of the same quality as the LPs and not the m100s, meaning that there's no cap to cover the hole and it also appears to be more difficult to insert / remove the cable but that may just be a matter of it being a newer unit.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #228 of 1,160
And according to cnet and it's review, the coupon for the free shield voucher valued at 150$ is available to everyone who buys from the website?? I thought this was an exclusive deal for pre-sale only? And the remark about not getting there???? Would love to know what is going on now.

The article states "And if you buy the headphones at v-moda.com, the price also includes an extra pair of custom 3D-printed fiber or laser-engraved aluminum shields."  It seems to be true for fiber and aluminum but I don't think the deal for the steel shield is available anymore as when I tried to add that to my card the price was $450.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #229 of 1,160

Except that you've got 60 days to return them if you don't like them.  Yes, you had to order early thinking the voucher would expire...so I get the frustration overall, but giving MORE people a chance to experience the shields isn't really a shady practice.  You can always return your headphones if you don't like them...so it's not like there is an inherent risk ordering early. 

Unless you redeem the voucher, in which you're subject to a 25% restocking fee (a whopping 112.5). If you're pre-ordering, you're likely pre-ordering for the shields, so it's a one-way ticket. That's why it's shady. Essentially pushing some people to order under the impression your limited time offer will expire while they have no knowledge of the product beforehand, also knowing they can't return the product for a full refund. 

Quote:
  The article states "And if you buy the headphones at v-moda.com, the price also includes an extra pair of custom 3D-printed fiber or laser-engraved aluminum shields."  It seems to be true for fiber and aluminum but I don't think the deal for the steel shield is available anymore as when I tried to add that to my card the price was $450.

They email you the voucher after purchase, so it's in two separate orders. He mentioned he pushed the voucher expiration to 9/30, so it's likely he also pushed the offer to the same date. Of course it's just speculation, someone would have to order to confirm. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #230 of 1,160

They email you the voucher after purchase, so it's in two separate orders. He mentioned he pushed the voucher expiration to 9/30, so it's likely he also pushed the offer to the same date. Of course it's just speculation, someone would have to order to confirm. 

The way the ordering process is set up now it negates any need for a voucher, more importantly unless you visited this site you don't know about any prior offer, imagine the confusion when they have just been charged $150 for adding the Steel or Precious Metal shield and then an email turns up saying they can order them for free as part of some secret offer they didn't know about, that wouldn't make any sense at all, unless V-Moda is secretly run by the muppets?

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #231 of 1,160
The way the ordering process is set up now it negates any need for a voucher, more importantly unless you visited this site you don't know about any prior offer, imagine the confusion when they have just been charged $150 for adding the Steel or Precious Metal shield and then an email turns up saying they can order them for free as part of some secret offer they didn't know about, that wouldn't make any sense at all, unless V-Moda is secretly run by the muppets?

This is getting embarrassing for this site and the people on it. There is absolutely no indication that the voucher has been extended. All of this uproar is based on a snippet in a CNET article that states that these new headphones come with the same shield deal (aluminum/fiber) that ALL new headphones direct from V-Moda come with!

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #232 of 1,160
I'm pretty satisfied that I waited to order, but I do wish we had that quote about V-MODA getting 95% of the way to the M-100 sound weeks ago. I care more about audio quality than I do about wireless listening.

Reasons to get M-100:

CliqFold hinge
Smaller portable case
Dual headphone cable inputs
Better audio quality
Two-year vs one-year warranty.

Reasons to get CF Wireless:

Bluetooth mode.

I'm sure they're the best Bluetooth headphones on the market, but I'll be waiting for gen 2 personally.

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #233 of 1,160
  Overall, I think it's pretty inaccurate to say these sound almost as good wireless as they do wired as that simple isn't possible yet with technology and unfortunately these aren't the cans to make that break through. At least that's how it sounds to my ears. However, I still love the option of going wireless with a good pair of cans so it may still convince me to keep these. The button quality is definitely my biggest gripe right now. 

Give Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless a listen and hear how good Bluetooth audio can be. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #234 of 1,160
  Finally got the cans. Initial impressions are that the buttons are very loose and cheap feeling, they definitely require some confidence to think that they wont break over years of use - especially the Power button. It's unfortunate they went with a slide mechanism as opposed to a simple press mechanic. 

I'm eager to test these against my m100s in terms of sound. Plugged in, they sound fantastic as you would expect. Bluetooth has that hiss underlying the sound that is noticeable during quieter parts of the music, which could be headache inducing over longer periods of listening. The audio quality and sound stage also definitely suffer quite a bit. The wireless microphone quality seems very solid so I'm happy about that. The white has that metal trim which is a fingerprint magnet which is probably normal for the white / black silver styles. 

Headphone jack unfortunately is of the same quality as the LPs and not the m100s, meaning that there's no cap to cover the hole and it also appears to be more difficult to insert / remove the cable but that may just be a matter of it being a newer unit.

Could you please describe how you feel they sound different wired and wireless? I know you mentioned about hiss before (I personally haven't detected that) but more curiously what is the difference you hear between wired & wireless? I find it hard to distinguish between the two.

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #235 of 1,160

Could you please describe how you feel they sound different wired and wireless? I know you mentioned about hiss before (I personally haven't detected that) but more curiously what is the difference you hear between wired & wireless? I find it hard to distinguish between the two.

I think the hiss is a big part of it, it sounds overall just more muddy to my ears when I'm going wireless and it's a relief plugging back in and going back to wired mode as it is more fatiguing using BT mode. I've been spending the last hour or so just switching between wired and wireless, and also comparing to my m100s. I can definitively say that I prefer the wired sound, what is driving me absolutely crazy is comparing to m100.

At first I was certain I prefer my m100, it has that nice familiar warmth, but now I'm not so sure. It seemed like the wireless were attacking my ears. The sound sig.  is certainly more aggressive, and I am now picking up on greater clarity. I think this will continue to be polarizing for fans of m100 - either you appreciate the definition and detail of the newer sig. or else you will like the subdued yet bassier m100 sound. Either way I'm going to be testing a lot further to see my preference and I'm very curious to see what more reviewers have to say once units are out. I am by no means a seasoned audiophile but I am doing my best to try and feel out my preference here. 

Also I wish the 'on / off / connected / disconnected' sounds were configurable.. the quality is terrible on those lol. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #236 of 1,160
  I think the hiss is a big part of it, it sounds overall just more muddy to my ears when I'm going wireless and it's a relief plugging back in and going back to wired mode as it is more fatiguing using BT mode. I've been spending the last hour or so just switching between wired and wireless, and also comparing to my m100s. I can definitively say that I prefer the wired sound, what is driving me absolutely crazy is comparing to m100.

At first I was certain I prefer my m100, it has that nice familiar warmth, but now I'm not so sure. It seemed like the wireless were attacking my ears. The sound sig.  is certainly more aggressive, and I am now picking up on greater clarity. I think this will continue to be polarizing for fans of m100 - either you appreciate the definition and detail of the newer sig. or else you will like the subdued yet bassier m100 sound. Either way I'm going to be testing a lot further to see my preference and I'm very curious to see what more reviewers have to say once units are out. I am by no means a seasoned audiophile but I am doing my best to try and feel out my preference here. 

Also I wish the 'on / off / connected / disconnected' sounds were configurable.. the quality is terrible on those lol. 

Cheers. That's interesting. I've used the Wireless as wireless but I've not noticed the muddiness nor the hiss. About tonal signature, I think it kinda depends on what you're used to. If you've used pretty much exclusively the M-100 then the Wireless to definitely have a more aggressive signature .For me I switch around earphones/headphones regularly and for my personal tastes, that added treble is actually what I appreciate of the Wireless over the M-100.

I've mentioned the buttons and the off/on/connected/disconnected sounds to Val before - actually I thought metal buttons would have been cool. The feedback sound though sounds like an 8-bit 80's PC styled sound. Kinda reminds me of the games I used to play with back in early 80's. Admittedly they haven't bothered me as much (which is why I've not talked about it much) 'cos I tend to power off/on/sync whilst the headset is still in my hand rather in my head.

Give more head time on the Wireless. See if over time your ears get used to the new tonal signature.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #237 of 1,160

This is getting a bit aggravating lol. Does the CF Wireless have a decreased soundstage or not? If the tonal balance is more aggressive and the voucher is still live I'm still interested.

Hell, if the voucher is still live I might order for comparison sake.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #238 of 1,160
Hello guys! I'm about to order either the V-Moda Crossfade M100 or the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I'm actually hesitating between both since V-Moda said that Crossfade Wireles have an updated sound over the M100. If I buy the Crossfade Wireless, i'll rather use them in Wired mode. I would like to know if the Crossfade Wireless sounds better than the M100 in Wired mode. If yes i'll buy the Wireless. If not, i don't see why i should buy the crossfade Wireless if they don't sound better than the m100 even in wired mode and lose options like cliqfold, etc...

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #239 of 1,160
  Hello guys! I'm about to order either the V-Moda Crossfade M100 or the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I'm actually hesitating between both since V-Moda said that Crossfade Wireles have an updated sound over the M100. If I buy the Crossfade Wireless, i'll rather use them in Wired mode. I would like to know if the Crossfade Wireless sounds better than the M100 in Wired mode. If yes i'll buy the Wireless. If not, i don't see why i should buy the crossfade Wireless if they don't sound better than the m100 even in wired mode and lose options like cliqfold, etc...

- Buy both.
- Use the 60-day test drive.
- Return the one you don't want.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #240 of 1,160
This is getting embarrassing for this site and the people on it. There is absolutely no indication that the voucher has been extended. All of this uproar is based on a snippet in a CNET article that states that these new headphones come with the same shield deal (aluminum/fiber) that ALL new headphones direct from V-Moda come with!

I know it hasn't been extended, I was pointing out why it makes no sense to think otherwise, the lack of NO EXTRA CHARGE also above Steel and Precious Metal is a dead give away
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back