V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
May 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,476 of 2,828
Quote:
They seem to work well together. I use the SF switch (soundfield) but not the LF (which is a combo bass/treble boost). The M80s really are surprising me, I was not expecting to like them so much for some odd reason.

Truthfully, I wasn't either, I figured with that much hype, much of it would be just that hype. Nope, really happy three weeks into mine.

May 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,477 of 2,828
On price, I was very lucky getting mine used, but as new, and they are for $100 (best offer on Amazon.ca), $120 shipped. Steal in my mind at that price. I don't think these headphones new should be selling at less than $150, no way, not with what people pay for other offerings. If these aren't $150 headphones cold, then none are.

May 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,478 of 2,828
Quote:
I hear you re the 1350s but they also sound very good with the C&C amp, using both switches to alleviate any "thinness," but you already know the sound signatures of the two phones is very different. I just find them both to be keepers since I use them mostly at home and give me some  variety. For road use, I have a nice pair of JHA customs with the iPhone 5 cable, and that's all I need. I feel funny wearing on-ears in public, plus they could be stolen much easier (I live in a big city so that's always a risk).

But you are dead on in terms of the M80 sound being perfect for portable use/devices, they sound very very good with the iPhone 5 and Accudio EQ.

In all fairness, I only had the 1350s on for about 10 minutes in a meet situation, so I really should have qualified my previous comment on the 1350. I guess going into the meet as a huge Beyer fan, (I brought my 880s and 770s with me), that I was underwhelemed by both the T1 and 1350, but perhaps my expectations were too high? Essentially from what I read from experienced 1350 owners is that the mids are stunning for a portable, rich and detailed, but the thin sound is attributed to good bass extension, but poor bass impact and tonal presence. If so, now that I am not at all against EQing  (as long as it is a modest parametric adjustment), that I could easily take a 1350 and add more impact without shifting the tonal qualities greatly. The implementation of the parametric EQ in Neutron is actually very good as far as I can tell (I will not pretend to be an expert), however I have used the parametric EQ in Adobe Audition quite a bit with some good results.

For instance, the Rush album Roll The Bones had some amazing material on it, sadly back in the day the engineers liked that thin, hyper tight bass sound that today really seems so dead and flat. I couldn't live with this so one night I spent about 5 hours going through each song, over and over again with the parametric EQ until I eventually "repaired" in my view the dead, dull bass without doing much bleed into the mids or adding bloat. I'm sure there are sonic compromises as I suspect anytime you alter a mastered you lose something, however the gain in thickness was worth it. I then just saved it all as wav and now use that as my listening copy. Actually I have just recently ripped my whole collection to Apple lossless and use JRiver Media Center 18 and couldn't be happier. Damn it is so convenient to just have everything there at your fingertips ... sit on the couch, wireless keyboard/mouse, check your e-mail, watch it on your TV, just sayin, it deserves some love.

May 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #2,479 of 2,828
By the way, you know that a sound is right for you when you really want to hear it constantly. Despite not being mega-buck cans, I am constantly wanting to listen to the M-80s, they are very engaging and vibrant. I use 320 Apple files through Neutron on the Z10. The Z10 is another BIG and happy surprise, forget that I love it as a smartphone, as a music player it is fantastic. Whatever DAC they are using in there (a wolfson of some flavour if I remember a thread I read correctly), it is quite capable. Today I ran through plenty of hard to resolve electronica, and in addition some of Paul Simon's Graceland (sadly a remasterd copy) and Dire Straits Ride Across the River from Brother's In Arms and I liked the non-electronica stuff far more than I expected too. At first I wasn't into rock with the M-80s, but now I get their sound more, plus I gently nudge down the presence with the paramteric EQ and it takes some of the confusion out of loud rock which when I listen to it it tends to be Tool, Sevendust, Black Sabbath, Alexisonfire, Billy Talent etc, so plenty of poorly hot-mastered stuff there with the exception of the older Sabbath and Tool who still seem to care about dynamics overall.

May 20, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #2,480 of 2,828
ATH-M50/M-80/HD25-1 II/Harman Kardon any model...
Need advice. 
I listen to all kinds of music, need all-round excellent sound reproduction and the ability to deliver a punch and solid bass without sacrificing any of sound quality. Any advice/recommendations in this price range would be much appreciated

May 21, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #2,481 of 2,828
Quote:
Need advice. 
I listen to all kinds of music, need all-round excellent sound reproduction and the ability to deliver a punch and solid bass without sacrificing any of sound quality. Any advice/recommendations in this price range would be much appreciated

I have the ATH-M30, M-80, and the AKG Q460. I would take the M-80s in a heartbeat over the others. The other headphones are good, but I prefer sonic fingerprint and comfort of the M-80s. The M-80s have more bass punch than the ATH-M30s, but still have a balanced EQ. The Q460s are a bit muffled and it is sometimes difficult to get a good seating on your ears. They are very articulate and punchy. I hope this helps.

May 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #2,482 of 2,828
Quote:
Need advice. 

I have the M50 and M-80. If you want punch, get the M-80. The M50 does not lack bass at all. Its very good, with bass basically even across the frequency. But that punch you are looking for is awesome in the M-80 due to the midbass hump.
In terms of bass the M-80 is more fun. I just got the M50 so I can't give my full opinion, yet.

May 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,483 of 2,828
I've done this with my M-100 before to no ill effects and today I got caught in a torrential downpour while wearing my V-80s. Headband got soaked through and both the earcups, wires and audio cord got wet and there are no problems with the headphones at all. I just kept walking with the drum of rain spatter added to the background of my music and all I have to show for it is a slightly cleaner headband. I normally baby my electronics, but I bought V-MODA headphones for their rugged build and have yet to be disappointed, rain or shine.
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2,484 of 2,828
My honest review here. Tried and loved the sound etc but Returned as the huge gap on each side with the angular fit was not acceptable.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-80/reviews/9045

Shame as very impressed otherwise. Tried with an e11 which was ok, but much preferred with any Ray Samuels type amp- a dark signature was a fantastic match.

May 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #2,485 of 2,828
I have no such issue, however, I think I alluded to it in my first post, that for me the M-80 required me to learn how to put them on to get the true sound. I can't come right out and call this a problem as frankly beyond some Koss Portapros I have almost no experience with on the ear headphones. I would have to know are such positional issues sort of common among on the ear designs? Regadless, for me, this was such a minor issue, and so easily solved that I guess I can say I didn't find this a problem.

Here is what I think is some cudos to the M-80. Recently I have landed a pristine, 2012 D7000, just gorgeous and I love the sound. So what I wanted to experience as a sound signature at this point in my head-fi journey. Guaranteed to be a classic sound for years to come. Anyway, despite having been immresing myself in lossless files driven by a great DAC and a great SS amp with the D7000 when I put on the M-80s to walk to work, instead of hearing an inferior sound, I still loved and enjoyed how the M-80s went about their business. In my books, that is a cudos for V-Moda.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #2,486 of 2,828
Got my m80 the other day. Initially surprised at how small the packaging was. Absolutely loved the case, the feel of it, very nice. First day, after listening for a couple of hours, my right year was in excruciating pain. I didn't bother wearing it for the next 24 hours. Now slowly adjusting the headband and trying it again. Sound gets better every time. my Fiio e17 is in the mail, can't wait to couple it with the m80 and thinking of a Cowon (but not sure which one).

Back to the point, I have a couple of problems. One is that when connected to my Sony Ericsson Xperia x10i, the sound is low and muffled, I have to press in the one button on the cable to hear the music at normal volume (I guess that could be due to the phone itself).

Secondly, I get noise through the headphone when the part of cable from mic-to-button rubs against my clothes or something else, is that normal? as its pretty damn annoying. I absolutely hate mic'd cables but m80 cable has a nice build so can live with it.

Cheers :)

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,487 of 2,828
Quote:
Got my m80 the other day. Initially surprised at how small the packaging was. Absolutely loved the case, the feel of it, very nice. First day, after listening for a couple of hours, my right year was in excruciating pain. I didn't bother wearing it for the next 24 hours. Now slowly adjusting the headband and trying it again. Sound gets better every time. my Fiio e17 is in the mail, can't wait to couple it with the m80 and thinking of a Cowon (but not sure which one).

Back to the point, I have a couple of problems. One is that when connected to my Sony Ericsson Xperia x10i, the sound is low and muffled, I have to press in the one button on the cable to hear the music at normal volume (I guess that could be due to the phone itself).

Secondly, I get noise through the headphone when the part of cable from mic-to-button rubs against my clothes or something else, is that normal? as its pretty damn annoying. I absolutely hate mic'd cables but m80 cable has a nice build so can live with it.

Cheers :)

Comfort will come with time. It took me 2 full weeks of wearing and bending my V-80 until it was comfortable enough to wear for more than 15 minutes. I got pain in my left ear. The 4-ring plug on miked audio cables isn't always compatible with some devices. A common fix is to flip your cable around and to plug the 45 degree connector into your headphone and the straight connector into your phone. And yes, it is normal for cloth cables to cause microphonics (cable noise).

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,488 of 2,828
Quote:
Comfort will come with time. It took me 2 full weeks of wearing and bending my V-80 until it was comfortable enough to wear for more than 15 minutes. I got pain in my left ear. The 4-ring plug on miked audio cables isn't always compatible with some devices. A common fix is to flip your cable around and to plug the 45 degree connector into your headphone and the straight connector into your phone. And yes, it is normal for cloth cables to cause microphonics (cable noise).

Sweet, flipping the cable did the trick, cheers. Now to get used to ear pain :)

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,489 of 2,828
Just received my m'80s from Amazon.

One thing I noticed - when the headband is adjusted to its maximum stretchable length, the part of the cable that sticks out after travelling from inside the headband and goes into the top of the left earphone - is a little taught/tight.

I feel like when I extend the headband adjuster as far as they will go, the left side's co-axial tilt is somewhat limited due to the cable not having enough slack and restricting this movement somewhat - has anyone else found this? Is there a way I can pull some more slack into this part of the cable without breaking anything?

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #2,490 of 2,828
stupid question but i saw tyll's video at innerfidelity and it said the earpads are replacable, but i looked on the vmoda website and it only has replacements for the lps, lp2 and the m-100s but not the m-80s... does val sell em elsewhere?

i thought this was weird that its not provided there if the earpads are replacable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back