V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
May 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,461 of 2,828
Hi,

Hajimema****e! :wink: I'm a noob here. I am impressed with the knowledge base here.  I am not an audiophile or can/will pretend to be. I don't have the disposable $ to be either. I have been a musician/songwriter for years, though. That is how I approach sound equipment, as a musician.

I just ordered a Pearl White version of the M-80. I researched quite a bit on the Internet. The forum reviews here cemented the purchase for me. It will take a couple day before they come in from Amazon. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,467 of 2,828
Well after a few days and about 16 hours of burn-in, I can say that these are excellent on-ear headphones. Wonderful packaging, accessories, and build quality. I was able to get my pair for $130 at Amazon. I find the M-80s to be very comfortable. My tastes change from time to time. Right now over-ear phones aren't doing it for me. Using an iPhone 5 and flat EQ:

edit: With the volume very low there are some issues, especially with prog rock. Once you get to medium volume. They are very, very competent headphones for many genres. They excel at strings, acoustic guitar and modern mixes of many genres. 

Considering the price 4.5/5 stars for me.

May 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2,468 of 2,828
Can anyone who has the white/pearl comment on if they eventually start looking dingy or dirty after a while? I have the black version and was thinking of getting the white ones with custom shields for my sister.

May 19, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #2,469 of 2,828
Why do so many people ask that question for V-MODA's white headphones? People asked me all the time for my white M-100's. -.-
I have yet to see any white headphones get dirty over time unless they intentionally spread mud, "newspaper ink fingers", or "Cheetos fingers" all over it.

I don't think anyone asks this question even for the white Beats by Dre headphones.

May 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,470 of 2,828
I wouldn't be concerned if the the materials were something solid like plastic, but the headband feels like suede or some other fabric. Good to know though.

May 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #2,471 of 2,828
I wouldn't be concerned if the the materials were something solid like plastic, but the headband feels like suede or some other fabric. Good to know though.

Don't quote me on this since I haven't felt a white M-80 before, but I believe the white headband is a pleather material like the M-100 and only the shadow colour scheme has the micro-suede headband. Were the white one to have the micro-suede headband, then yeah sure I can understand why so many people would ask about it getting dirty, but I think it's just your everyday pleather-like material.

May 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,472 of 2,828
Quote:
Don't quote me on this since I haven't felt a white M-80 before, but I believe the white headband is a pleather material like the M-100 and only the shadow colour scheme has the micro-suede headband. Were the white one to have the micro-suede headband, then yeah sure I can understand why so many people would ask about it getting dirty, but I think it's just your everyday pleather-like material.

I can confirm that the White M-80 headband uses the same material as the White M-100 headband. I have noticed that my headband has yellowed/discolored slightly compared to a brand-new one when I did the side-by-side with my M-100 against an M-80 store demo at AC Gears. There were definite signs of yellowing on my unit. Soap and water works well!
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,473 of 2,828
Love my pearl white M-80, and for electronica, this is a seriously good headphone. Very engaging and unique. Despite having a small size (I'm coming from using DT770s as portables), the M-80 does a very good job at convincing me they are larger in stature. It has taken a few weeks for me to really get them, but now that I do I am very impressed by these excellent headphones. Frankly, I'm shocked by how much value can be had for such little money. I would guess that some people in China are making not very much money for their work. I know everybody gets all "I expect more from the packaging on headphones" (the M-80s are quite well appointed in this department), but frankly for me, I would rather either pay less and have a no-frills package (I know they need shelf wow to sell retail), or pay the same and know that more money was spent on the material or R&D. Regardless, it is quite apparent that a great deal of time and resources went into R&D and it shows in the sound which matters, packaging means squat to me, I don't listen to packaging, I listen to headphones.

I will need more time before I can really get a handle on what these cans do with other genres, but for electronica they are amazing headphones. They sound so good that I have a hard time not just playing electronica over and over again. I need to throw on some good Steely Dan. I did play some Dire Straits (Ride Across The River from Borthers in Arms) and I was actually very happy with the sound, happier than I expected to be. I have a used a parametric EQ to give a little boost to the treble, and I have tried to get a little deliniation between the upper bass and lower midrange to "decongest" the sound. The sound is a little congested in this area, but no headphone can do everything, there has to be some sound signature decisions made and if you try to deliver strong, artful bass and present midrange, with some material they will converge with less than perfect results. I found that by using the parametric EQ in Neutron through my Z10 I was easily able to make some minor adjustments that to my ears improved the sound in these areas nicely. Neutron is an audiophile music player that at $4.99 from Blackberry world was a steal. The combination of my E11 > Neutron and the M-80s has really pleased me. I'm a big fan of the M-80 and I can't wait to get to know them even better. A solid performer and I think they look really sharp.

May 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,474 of 2,828
Quote:
I am with you 100 percent on the M80s. Rather than EQ, I use some sound changing capabilities on my C&C BH amp and get a bit more out of them. They sound even better amped. With the iPhone 5, I do tip the treble a bit with Accudio, a nice EQ app from Golden Ears.

I also recently purchased the Beyer DT1350, which was twice the price of the M80s, and having a hard time picking a winner. So I decided to keep both, since I think they are the two best portables for the money. I got lucky with the M80s, scoring a "used" pair from Amazon for $93 shipped. Amazing value for a headphone. Good mini-review.

Oh yeah for sure. I think the BH would be a nice pair with the M-80.

May 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2,475 of 2,828
Yah, from what I can tell a price for performance value, the M-80s are killer good value. I am a Beyerdyanmic fan, owned both the 770s and 880s for about two years each, but I wasn't really impressed with the 1350s, sounded kind of "thin" to me. The V-80s have some thickness to their sound, some depth and there is a richness to their overall tone, a slight warmth, which I actually think for small portable cans, typically to be driven by portable devices is a smart design approach. The highs typically prominent on headphones designed to be portable seem to attempt to be really detailed and resolving when that just isn't the best role for a portable can. I think engaging, dynamic sound that works the V signature without totally giving up on some thick mids is a better approach then pounding, non-articlulate bass with blazing highs. I think the V-80 strikes an impressive balance between detail retrival, and musical presentation. I am a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back