V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Mar 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,341 of 2,828
Quote:
That's really strange. What do you think it is that is causing your headphones to break? Have you popped them open yet?

I did last night, I assumed the connection was bad but It is connected to a small board. I tried popping the contact pin out a little and idk if it worked but my headphones still are working now. I know for a fact it is the headphone jack on the headphone but I wouldn't know how to replace it with a better one without soldering and such. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2,342 of 2,828
I for one would like to say that initially, I can't barely last 20 minutes with these. Give them a shot, maybe increase your time every time you use it. You'll be surprised at how these phones are comfortable. And for durability? I've had these for almost a year already and no signs of problems so far.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,343 of 2,828
Yeah I'm surprised Posam's had such bad luck with them... Sometimes I don't even use the case when I throw them in my bag, they're no worse for wear. Granted, I've only had them about four or five months, but V-moda seems to have one of the better warranties out there IMO (plus the lifetime credit/replacement program post-warranty).

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #2,344 of 2,828
Quote:
Yeah I'm surprised Posam's had such bad luck with them... Sometimes I don't even use the case when I throw them in my bag, they're no worse for wear. Granted, I've only had them about four or five months, but V-moda seems to have one of the better warranties out there IMO (plus the lifetime credit/replacement program post-warranty).

We want you to be part of the V-MODA family for life, our Six-Star Service will always find a solution for you if you ever have a problem - even years down the road we support you with the post-warranty and can even do repairs.  If we ever upgrade the model to a comparable one down the road, we allow you to choose the new one too.  We are always looking into innovating customer service.

On many of our in-ears, we allow customers to cut them and recycle vs send them in.  You can also see how tough the kevlar is!

-V 

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #2,345 of 2,828
I even use this when I jog. The isolation seems perfect since it does not block all the noise and you'll be aware of what's happening around. A little adjustment and it won't fall off your head. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,346 of 2,828
You had the chance to measure the cable yet? :)

I'm getting 0.5 ohm with either V-moda cable... Keep in mind the multimeter has a 1.2% margin of error in the 1-400 ohm range so that's well within the margin (and the number jumps a lot if I don't keep the lead tips steady). That being said, I grabbed a couple of 1ft Radio Shack cables and managed to get a measurement closer to 0.0 ohm with either one.

They're 5x shorter and not gold plated. I use one those cables to hook up my M-80 to my Sony MW600 clip-on BT receiver, the other one's a beige one I've had forever which I sometimes use to hook up a phone or iPod to a pair of powered speakers. Can't say I hear anything different over any of them.

The V-moda cables are pretty pliable but still retain the bends a little from when I wrap them up, they've held up pretty well.

Edit: FWIW, I dug up another random cable to measure. It's 6 ft and measured 0.2 ohm, tho the meter was jumping around more than with the others, probably because one of the jacks is pretty oxidized.

Edit #2: To be honest, I'm not sure any measurement of this sort will be all that accurate when taken with a cheap multimeter ($30 Craftsman here, my other one gave up the ghost and the old school analog would be more imprecise, if I could even find batteries for it).

For instance, 20awg wiring should have a resistance of like 0.01 ohm per foot, so any of these cables should be well under the numbers I'm getting with this meter. I think if your Philips cable is really measuring 2 ohm there's something seriously wrong with it.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #2,347 of 2,828
Thank you for the write up. :)
Well I allready measured different philips cables and both measured 2 Ohm. But I'm using a very cheap multimeter myself so there might be an error there.
My only guess whas that if output impedance would matter, then the cable impedance too. I don't know if it's true but the cheap price of the v-moda cable makes it worth to buy it anyway.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,348 of 2,828
Yeah, I'd say that if both your Philips cables consistently measure higher than your other ones then there's something peculiar about how they're made, regardless of what their resistance really is.

The multimeter might round up or whatever, but it's still showing a disparity and not an insignificant one apparently. I'll have to keep it in mind if Philips ever pulls their head out of their ass and brings the X1 to the US (I really wanna try them, sigh...).

Be sure to post how the V-Moda cable works out for ya on the X1 thread. :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #2,349 of 2,828
Quote:
Be sure to post how the V-Moda cable works out for ya on the X1 thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will do! See you there.
Did you also post in the aune thread or not? If so I might have some impressions for that in a month or something. :)

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2,351 of 2,828
I think anything is possible. The Cliqfold hinge was born out of the M-100 forum because people requested it. Early images of the M-100 prototype didn't have the hinge, but we asked and we received. I think an M-85 would be awesome.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,353 of 2,828
[size=11.0pt] ooops[/size]

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2,354 of 2,828
I've said it before, I'd sell my M-80 and buy a collapsible "M-85" in an instant (if they don't mess with the sound signature in the process)... That's just about the only significant improvement I'd want out of a refresh model.

I wonder if they'd allow one to send in a working M-80 to get a 50% discount off the new model if that ever becomes a reality (as part of the immortal warranty or whatever).

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2,355 of 2,828
definitely looking at this for a new headphone purchase.
a few questions....

if you had to compare em to a grado, which one would it be? How are the soundstage on these bad boys? Can you sleep in them? Does anyone sleep in them? How do they sound with ambient music...

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back