V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Feb 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #2,281 of 2,828
Hey folks

I was having trouble with comfort on the m-80s and discovered that the pads from the JVC HA-S500 fit nicely right over top of the existing pads. There isn't a huge difference is sound other than maybe a little deeper bass(maybe in my case just becuase of a better seal).......

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,282 of 2,828
Quote:
Hey folks

I was having trouble with comfort on the m-80s and discovered that the pads from the JVC HA-S500 fit nicely right over top of the existing pads. There isn't a huge difference is sound other than maybe a little deeper bass(maybe in my case just becuase of a better seal).......

Are those pads circumaural (as in they go around the ears not on top of them like the regular pads)? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #2,283 of 2,828
No, they are small supra-aural pads but increase the comfort a fair bit without much apparent difference in sound(to me).  The stock pads are quite small so it would be quite difficult I think to find a circumaural pad that would fit over them without modification...

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,284 of 2,828
Has anyone attempted mods to the M-80 to compensate for the treble roll off? Maybe something along the lines of the Markl mods for Denon's phones, or some other tweaks to the guts of the cans.

It seems odd to me that most of the popular on-ear phones have noticeable treble roll off. You'd think that treble would be easy to get right with relatively small drivers.
After getting these for my daughter,
I knew I wanted a pair.
I just bought these for a great price at Radio shack retailer ($129.99).
I have zero issue with the treble.
I would have to say that these are much better than other recent offerings by other manufacturers.
In that the others mask their highs and rolloff the highs so as to avoid any sibilance in the highs.
I would look into why you are not experiencing decent highs.
I would go as far as to return to vmoda to see if anything wrong.
These cans, to me, have all the treble that other cans this price range don't.
The resulting sound is more realistic .

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #2,285 of 2,828
Yep, they don't isolate very good at all. And they are not the most detailed either. I'd recommend looking into the DT1350 or Sennheisser Amperior for more detail and better isolation. The DT1350 isolates better than the Amperior, but they both isolate better than the M80 and both are noticeably more detailed.
I will be getting the 1350 that you have suggested,
But I doubt either of the ones you suggested will have as spacious a sound.
These have a satisfying lively spacious sound compared to what I have tried in the past.
Need to compare to my sons m100 to see my ear preference.
I have ath es700 on way and this will a real test for them.
I estimate the 700 on level of detail as 1350s..
Assumptios to be taken lightly & open minded.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2,286 of 2,828
^ look forward to your comparison when you get them.

In regards to treble roll off on M80:
Head on over to Innerfidelity & you'll see the roll off in the FR graph. It comes with all Vmoda M80s :)

That being said, I am appreciating mine more and like the velvety smoothness that the roll off helps create.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,287 of 2,828
Just saw the graph & they look pretty consistant all way to around 15khz.
Most users will not hear past 16khz.
That being said, reading graphs is really not easy or telling as to what you may hear.
After some time you must come to realize you must believe your ears over pictures.
Everyone's individual search for the perfect headphone is different.
To me the overall presentation is clearer and brighter and livelier than all on ear models I have herd so far.
Yet my experience is not sufficient.
So I appreciated and value your comments.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,288 of 2,828

Not to defend my position but just to give some insight.
A change of 3db on average is necessary to percieve the slightest change in sound.
I do see a drop around 10k BUT from that point to the end it is pretty consistent.
So it is not a V-shape sound & to most human ears,
We are most sensitive to the 1k area & so upper mids and treble is where manufacturers have to be careful and make their own preferences.
It is an art to not have sibilance or harshness while having good mids and highs.
The reason why I believe no headphone is perfectly flat is that most headphones are PURPOSLY different to try and achieve the most desirable sound.
This is what I have learned but I am shure many here can correct and explain graphs better.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #2,289 of 2,828
Im confused as to why you say no one will hear past the 16khz point?

Human hearing extends upwards to around 20khz...

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,290 of 2,828
I did not say no one, I said most.
Especially today's generation pumping out mad bass into their heads with "beats" type headphones.
U know what's the highest frequency delivered on an FM station? 15k.
When I was a teen I tested myself to17-18k
20k is a human limit.
Although we can percieve a time delay difference between ears at a higher rate.
I don't have the info on that tho.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,291 of 2,828
I hate to be "that guy" and I mean no offence to you, but please type like you know English.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,292 of 2,828
I hate to be "that guy" and I mean no offence to you, but please type like you know English.
ok and if you can take criticism,
I would also point out to you, to read correctly and not state I said "no one".
Edit:
Yes I have just noticed my phone's predictive text changed some words I corrected thank you.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,293 of 2,828
After getting these for my daughter,
I knew I wanted a pair.
I just bought these for a great price at Radio shack retailer ($129.99).
I have zero issue with the treble.
I would have to say that these are much better than other recent offerings by other manufacturers.
In that the others mask their highs and rolloff the highs so as to avoid any sibilance in the highs.
I would look into why you are not experiencing decent highs.
I would go as far as to return to vmoda to see if anything wrong.
These cans, to me, have all the treble that other cans this price range don't.
The resulting sound is more realistic .

I don't actually own the M-80 yet, but I listened to a pair for quite a while using my own 320Kbps MP3 files of music that I know very well. Compared to other high quality headphones I've owned (various mid- and top-level models from Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, etc.) the treble of the M-80 was clearly rolled off. (From reading all the reviews, I'm apparently not alone in that view.) I can understand why a headphone maker might want to slightly tone down the treble, but the M-80 went beyond what I'd consider an optimum amount of roll off.

I read somewhere the V-Moda CEO Val commenting that he designed the M-80 with deliberate treble roll off to help users preserve their hearing. That sounds to me like rationalization. (That's not a bug, that's a feature...) If he created this degree of roll off intentionally, then IMO, he overdid it.

Just saw the graph & they look pretty consistant all way to around 15khz.
Most users will not hear past 16khz.

The issue that I have with the M-80's treble isn't the response beyond 15khz, it's the steep drop off of about 10db at 10khz (as you noted in one of your other posts).

Anyway, the form factor and build quality is so good that I really want to like these headphones. Anybody ever try a silver cable or silver-plated copper cable with the M-80?

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,294 of 2,828
I must admit I am still in the honeymoon stage of owning these headphone, so my observations are positive,
but I also agree with the review member "Armaegis" posted here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #2,295 of 2,828
Hey I love trebles also, but a 10db drop would be worse if it were a dip of some sort and then come back up.
For instance, you see large yet gradual drops in the graphs of many V-shaped headphones.

The fact that the treble remains that level for the rest of its range means you would not notice any specific frequency missing, just the whole top end tamed down slightly, which is exactly what it is.

There is no real steep rollof, so sorry I cannot agree with you about a roll off, except to say yes there are brighter cans like the akg tiesto I had, wich Excell in brightness and trebles but didn't have the all important mids the way I like.
Everyone has their own preference and its not unusual to like more than one signature style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back