V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Feb 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,296 of 2,828
I prefer the M80s over the Amperiors and DT1350 I own. It definitely bests the Amperiors in terms of mid-range response; vocals come through clearer and are more defined. The DT1350s as I mentioned before, have this weird quirk to them. They sound incredibly thin when left unsealed. Their sound quality is entirely dependent on fit and positioning. At least with my ears.

I've tried various unamped portable setups and I would say that the M80s synergizes best with the HM-601 and Sansa Clip + players. The characteristic that would best describe these setups would definitely be full-bodied. The amounts of bass and vocals from them are deeply satisfying. I'm used to treble-centric phones but for some reason, I'm satisfied with what I get with the M80s. As of yet, they're my favorite phones.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,297 of 2,828
I hate to be "that guy" and I mean no offence to you, but please type like you know English.

I take it you meant he should type like he actually speaks English, or something equally condescending? Something a lot of Americans on these boards could take to heart, we do have a lot of foreigners tho you know? 'Sup, I'm one of them, hopefully my English's up to your lofty standards. :wink:

I think there's clearly some treble rolloff but it's neither extreme nor as bad as many other $80-160 headphones out there... Now, if you actually enjoy a bright headphone and/or you crave that sparkle then they're clearly not for you, HD25-1 II perhaps?

I can appreciate a brighter headphone (after all, my main pair at home are Beyers) but I don't absolutely need it, I quite like my M-80, tho the overall package plays a big role in justifying the price for me (as rugged portables). Now, if they were $300+ full size headphones it'd be another story (M-100?).

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2,298 of 2,828
The M80 is a great value. For the price, the sound is great, and the durability is better than most high end phones.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,299 of 2,828
Feb 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,300 of 2,828
The M80 is a great value. For the price, the sound is great, and the durability is better than most high end phones.

Completely agree, and Rob I believe we hear the same things when it comes to this can. The highs have a subdued softness, which was done on purpose to protect a person's hearing in loud environments. Nothing wrong with that as these have a sweet, balanced non-fatiguing sound with plenty of detail and energy.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #2,301 of 2,828
Well, I've had the M80s for about 11 days and in terms of sound and build quality I'm really impressed. They seem to work well with my Mp3 player and go loud easily.

I am however disappointed with the isolation and comfort. When I use them outside they seem to let in a lot of sound, much more than I was expecting although they don't leak much which is a plus. 

The isolation is something I can live with, but where I'm really struggling is with the comfort. I've tried stretching the headband out to reduce clamping force and adjusting the bevels, but no matter what I can't seem to get used to them.

Can't decide whether to return them to Amazon or keep them and hope that at some point they become comfortable to wear.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2,302 of 2,828
Quote:
Well, I've had the M80s for about 11 days and in terms of sound and build quality I'm really impressed. They seem to work well with my Mp3 player and go loud easily.

I am however disappointed with the isolation and comfort. When I use them outside they seem to let in a lot of sound, much more than I was expecting although they don't leak much which is a plus. 

The isolation is something I can live with, but where I'm really struggling is with the comfort. I've tried stretching the headband out to reduce clamping force and adjusting the bevels, but no matter what I can't seem to get used to them.

Can't decide whether to return them to Amazon or keep them and hope that at some point they become comfortable to wear.

Yeah.. these sound amazing for $150, but god damn they are super uncomfortable for me.. I have a small head and ears too.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,303 of 2,828
Weird, I have a medium sized head and big ears and I've been fine with them from day one... They got more comfortable after the pads broke in but were never really uncomfortable, guess it's about more than size tho (pressure, shape etc.).

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,304 of 2,828
On comfort, I've had to bend the headband of the M80s to get them to fit my largish head, and to reduce the pressure on the pinnae somewhat.  The earpads have softened up with use, and they do conform a bit over time.  For me, it is interesting that I've worked through the comfort issues so that I get the other benefits of these great headphones -- good sound, portability, efficiency, limited isolation, and looks. They are definitely the most-worn headset for me for portable use.  I also own an older pair of the Senn HD25-II, and I much prefer the M80s over the Senns when I'm outside.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,305 of 2,828
I just recently purchased the M-80s on a whim. I enjoy my shure srh 440s with an amp, but it can be bulky out side of the house. Ive owned the crossfade LP 1 when it came out but sold it for the flatter response of the 440s. Thhat being said, the M-80s are surprisingly better than I expected. As many reviewers have noted, the fit it everything. It didnt fit perfect the first time around so I started messing with orientations and bending the headband everyday so it would cup my ears better. The result is fantastic, I can wear them for hours upon hours on end with no issues. The isolation is much better than I expected for supra-aural headphones. LIKE WAYY better than I was expecting. That being said I do need to increase the volume to lsiten to music relative to my IEMs, go figure. The wind issue people cited previously is indeed a large problem, but I think that stems from the fact they are on ear and prone to more air resistance and noise due to the lack of isolation. (I should I know... I live in Illinois right now...brrr). On the music, I'm still burning in  by my own standards but its slowly but surely flattening out somewhat. I have no regrets and really enjoy this pair of headphones especially since they are portable and keep my ears warm in this harsh weather.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,306 of 2,828
The wind noise mostly comes from those vents on the shields I think, not a big issue unless you walk into the wind often... You could try taping them over tho it might impact bass response.

Frankly I can only remember experiencing it once or twice, but I can see how it'd be bothersome in other climates (I did spend time in Urbana-Champaign, IL!).

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2,307 of 2,828
Waiting for mine now. They were just processed through the origin sort facility and I should probably be getting them in a week or 2, so long as customs doesn't hate me.
You guys above talking about coldness.. I live in Canada!

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #2,308 of 2,828

I had the same problem with my m80s when I first got them. After a few months though they were much more comfortable and wearable. Just give the pads sometime to conform to your ears.

The only problem I have with my m80s now is they make my ears so damn hot after I leave them on for about an hour or two and I have to take them off for about a minute or so for my ear to cool down.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,309 of 2,828
not sure if someone already posted this here, but they are now $139.99 for white pearl on amazon if someone is interested. I think $144.99 for the Shadow.

http://gizmodo.com/5987361/these-v+moda-headphones-are-your-practically+indestructible-deal-of-the-day

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,310 of 2,828
Quote:
not sure if someone already posted this here, but they are now $139.99 for white pearl on amazon if someone is interested. I think $144.99 for the Shadow.

http://gizmodo.com/5987361/these-v+moda-headphones-are-your-practically+indestructible-deal-of-the-day

They were $85 "used" on Amazon 3 days ago. I'm thinking it was a pricing mistake, or it could have been a "lightning warehouse deal".

Regardless, after a year and a half on debating whether or not I should buy a pair, I finally have some black M80s.

They sound pretty damn good. Sound stage could be bigger as I'm use to open 'phones, but they're semi-closed so it's no biggie. Still have to formulate my opinion of them over the next couple of days, but the signature is sure winning me over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back