V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jul 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,831 of 2,828
I'm surprised to hear that the M80 is considered muddy too.  Maybe it's the player?  I've thrown some fast bass lines at it and it handled it like a champ.  But i have a couple hundred hours on mine now too...so perhaps that has made a small difference. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,832 of 2,828
Quote:
I'm surprised to hear that the M80 is considered muddy too.  Maybe it's the player?  I've thrown some fast bass lines at it and it handled it like a champ.  But i have a couple hundred hours on mine now too...so perhaps that has made a small difference. 

Great, this is all music to my dying-to-order-my-M-80-ears! (horrible pun intended...)

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,833 of 2,828
Source does affect the sound quality. I used my V-80 with my Samsung Infuse 4G both before and after installing the Voodoo Sound mod, an iPod Nano 5th Gen. and my mom's phone, the Motorola Atrix 4G.

The Infuse 4G before Voodoo Sound sounded good, but after the mod, the sound got so much richer and full. Bass extension crept lower than before and overall musicality improved dramatically. By comparison the Atrix sounded distant, almost metallic, although the built-in EQ and DSP effects helped somewhat. The iPod sounded okay, but it seemed like there was something missing in the music. Plus, I couldn't run my FLAC files on it and I was severely spoiled by Voodoo Sound.

Running them off my on-board Realtek sound card I got weak bass response, even with EQ-ing, and needed the help of a cMoyBB v2.03 with bass boost turned on. Using the cMoy with my Infuse, I leave the bass boost off.

I've never used a Cowon or a Sansa Clip, so I don't know how those compare, but my phone makes music sound so good, I really don't want to upgrade. It'll probably become my PMP if I eventually get a new phone.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,834 of 2,828
My 6G iPod Nano drives my M-80s well and sounds great to my ears, though I don't have a lot of DAPs to which I can compare it so take that for what it is.  I can say this though, my iPod Nano is built like a friggin tank.  I love it.  NTM how well it fits in the M-80 case.  I just really love how small and portable my on the go setup is with the M-80 (tiny) and 6G Nano (tiny) and the sound is heaven for a portable rig.

I'd like to add that although I don't use my M-80s for calls much, that I tried it out the other night just to test how it sounds.  My friend said that it sounded like I was talking in a bathroom, kinda echo-y.  I adjusted the mic several ways to see if it was better but not much change he said.  Could have just been that once instance.  I can't see how it would make a difference on the mic but I was using the three-button cable on my Android phone.
Does anyone else get something like this?  Is that why they revised the mic cable?

One last thing, after extended use I'm getting a little pain on the top of my head where the headband contacts.  I can't really adjust the position without the pads on the ears getting uncomfortable.  Is the material supposed to soften or "mold" to my head over time?  It seems like the pain on my ears has dissipated with finding the right position and wearing them more often but the one on my head is still there in full force once I get into the 2-3 hour range.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,836 of 2,828
Quote:
My 6G iPod Nano drives my M-80s well and sounds great to my ears, though I don't have a lot of DAPs to which I can compare it so take that for what it is.  I can say this though, my iPod Nano is built like a friggin tank.  I love it.  NTM how well it fits in the M-80 case.  I just really love how small and portable my on the go setup is with the M-80 (tiny) and 6G Nano (tiny) and the sound is heaven for a portable rig.

I'd like to add that although I don't use my M-80s for calls much, that I tried it out the other night just to test how it sounds.  My friend said that it sounded like I was talking in a bathroom, kinda echo-y.  I adjusted the mic several ways to see if it was better but not much change he said.  Could have just been that once instance.  I can't see how it would make a difference on the mic but I was using the three-button cable on my Android phone.
Does anyone else get something like this?  Is that why they revised the mic cable?

One last thing, after extended use I'm getting a little pain on the top of my head where the headband contacts.  I can't really adjust the position without the pads on the ears getting uncomfortable.  Is the material supposed to soften or "mold" to my head over time?  It seems like the pain on my ears has dissipated with finding the right position and wearing them more often but the one on my head is still there in full force once I get into the 2-3 hour range.

FWIW I find the SQ on the 6G Nano pretty astounding. Better than the current iPod and many iPods before. The M-80 with the nano is a great pairing. As for the mic, that's why they revised it, because it wasn't the best quality. I think the new mic has that issue fixed. I never bothered using mine. You could probably do a little mod to add some cushioning to the headband.

Also, muddy is not the right word for the M-80 at all IMO. The detail is all there but it just takes some time to get used to the sound sig. I find them very pleasing to my ears and the bass extension is great.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,837 of 2,828
Just bought these today after reading here that they crush Beats by a landslide. I am very pleased, but I guess I can kind of see what people mean about the mids? I'm assuming I should let them break in a bit.

Any tips on breaking in a new pair of portable cans?

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,838 of 2,828
Quote:
Just bought these today after reading here that they crush Beats by a landslide. I am very pleased, but I guess I can kind of see what people mean about the mids? I'm assuming I should let them break in a bit.

Any tips on breaking in a new pair of portable cans?

Just use them normally!  Nothing special required.  No need to leave them overnight or anything either, I think it's best to actually listen to it as much as possible - I believe this is where most of the "burn-in" occurs anyway.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,839 of 2,828
i tried the m80 in a meet for about 10-15 mins and i can safely say that these are somewhat balanced sounding.. although it has too much midbass to the point that it bleeds into the vocals... not much bleed but its there. i also find the treble a bit lacking as well. im sure that the pair i tried is "fully burned in" if anyone believes or doesn't believe on it.

source is dx100

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,841 of 2,828
Hey guys. I've been researching for weeks and saving up for a portable, durable, high-end (relatively speaking), great sounding, great looking and considerably affordable supraaural headphones. From what I've gathered, V Moda M-80 seems to fit the bill. But due to my other interests, which also cost money, I can only afford around $140-150 for this. I've seen the M-80 sell for $137 in a used-like new condition from the Amazon warehouse deals, and I'm thinking of buying that already but can't because I'm having some apprehensions. 

That being said, I'm going to my main question: Has anyone of you bought a used M-80, or any used thing for that matter, from Amazon? Was it really still in the condition that they claim it to be? In other words, is the quality of the things Amazon warehouse deals sell dependable?

I hope someone can give their experience regarding this 'cause I'm itchin' to own my first audiophile(like?) headphone.

I'm from the Philippines and it's my first time buying from Amazon that's why I'm kind of on the fence about buying it.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #1,842 of 2,828
Hey guys,

Quick question. Is there anyway to use the mic on the vmoda m80's for gaming? If say I want to game on PC and play diablo. Anyway to use the headphone as a full gaming headset as I know the cable itself has a mic. Reason why I'm asking is there is a separate 3.5mm mic input for the laptop. and only one 3.5mm output for the headphone.. so i'm thinking i will only hear sounds but the mic won't actually work when I plug the headphones into the computer?

And any way to get it working for the PS3 when gaming? I'm trying to find a perfect headset solution for PC and ps3 gaming... as most gaming headsets out there seem very mediocre. I like the Sennheiser PC360, but not sure if i can get it to work for the PS3. THanks for all your help.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #1,843 of 2,828
Quote:
Hey guys,

Quick question. Is there anyway to use the mic on the vmoda m80's for gaming? If say I want to game on PC and play diablo. Anyway to use the headphone as a full gaming headset as I know the cable itself has a mic. Reason why I'm asking is there is a separate 3.5mm mic input for the laptop. and only one 3.5mm output for the headphone.. so i'm thinking i will only hear sounds but the mic won't actually work when I plug the headphones into the computer?

And any way to get it working for the PS3 when gaming? I'm trying to find a perfect headset solution for PC and ps3 gaming... as most gaming headsets out there seem very mediocre. I like the Sennheiser PC360, but not sure if i can get it to work for the PS3. THanks for all your help.

Get a splitter that splits the mic mid and sound channels.  I know that Woodees makes a model that will do this for you: http://www.woodees.com/product/Accessories/177/VoIP%20Laptop%20Adaptor/504

There are others as well.  Just go search for them.  Link is given for reference of what it'll look like.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,844 of 2,828
Hey guys,

V-MODA also sells a voip adapter on their site.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,845 of 2,828
Thanks Tinyman,

I didn't know such a product exists. Do you think there's any loss in audio quality of the headphones when using it? Was wondering if the splitter seperates the audio for the mic and headphone properly. I'm also trying to find a good way to use my exisiting headphones with a zalman mic on the PS3 when gaming... some ppl mentioned  usb sound card for the PS 3... any idea which are good for the ps3?

thx again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back