V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jul 26, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #1,861 of 2,828
Quote:

Quote:
Just use them normally!  Nothing special required.  No need to leave them overnight or anything either, I think it's best to actually listen to it as much as possible - I believe this is where most of the "burn-in" occurs anyway.

the "burn-in" is adjusting to the fit of your ears.  Since our pads and arms have an angle, they need a little time to adjust properly to your ears.  Even sweat a bit (esp if black vs grey pads).

The mids will improve significantly like our Response Curves vs top competitors when this is done.  I feel the mids is one of M-80s STRONGEST points vs others.

Remember, the mids are the POSITIONING of the angle of the cup/cushions to your concha of the ear.  

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #1,862 of 2,828
Quote:
Hey guys. I've been researching for weeks and saving up for a portable, durable, high-end (relatively speaking), great sounding, great looking and considerably affordable supraaural headphones. From what I've gathered, V Moda M-80 seems to fit the bill. But due to my other interests, which also cost money, I can only afford around $140-150 for this. I've seen the M-80 sell for $137 in a used-like new condition from the Amazon warehouse deals, and I'm thinking of buying that already but can't because I'm having some apprehensions. 

That being said, I'm going to my main question: Has anyone of you bought a used M-80, or any used thing for that matter, from Amazon? Was it really still in the condition that they claim it to be? In other words, is the quality of the things Amazon warehouse deals sell dependable?

I hope someone can give their experience regarding this 'cause I'm itchin' to own my first audiophile(like?) headphone.

I'm from the Philippines and it's my first time buying from Amazon that's why I'm kind of on the fence about buying it.

If you're thinking of buying from US you can check Johnny Air to forward your package from US to Philippines, I recommend them highly as I've been using their service since I first bought an item on eBay last 2010. I bought my M-80 on eBay and have it forwarded in their LA California branch (I normally use the NY branch) and just got my M-80 yesterday I paid only less than Php 1,000 about Php 960+. It may help you save cost on shipping instead have it shipped directly to US.

Though I don't know what is the exact weight of the product from Amazon since I haven't bought anything from Amazon before but my package weight was about 2.5lbs.

Oh they don't ship door-to-door you have to pick it up in their Makati or SM Megamall branch,I don't know if they have another branch near you in QC. You can expect your package 5-12 days after they received your package in US.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #1,863 of 2,828
Quote:

the "burn-in" is adjusting to the fit of your ears.  Since our pads and arms have an angle, they need a little time to adjust properly to your ears.  Even sweat a bit (esp if black vs grey pads).

The mids will improve significantly like our Response Curves vs top competitors when this is done.  I feel the mids is one of M-80s STRONGEST points vs others.

Remember, the mids are the POSITIONING of the angle of the cup/cushions to your concha of the ear.  

Hi Val, just got my M-80 from eBay and I just want to know that the item that I got is not fake where can I confirm it? Though the headphone are nice and the SQ is fantastic after a 12hrs burn-in, I just want to be sure because I won my M-80 through eBay auction for such a low price of $102 for a brandnew un-open box.

Thanks

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,864 of 2,828
Just dropped my V-80s on the floor. The eject feature works perfectly. :D

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #1,865 of 2,828
Quote:
Just dropped my V-80s on the floor. The eject feature works perfectly.
biggrin.gif

YES, I can imagine keith, our big-dog engineer with a PEPSI MAX saying "YEEEES I TOLD YOU THIS NYLON 66" works everytime at 5kgf!

complimentary eye candy::

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #1,866 of 2,828
Hi Val, just got my M-80 from eBay and I just want to know that the item that I got is not fake where can I confirm it? Though the headphone are nice and the SQ is fantastic after a 12hrs burn-in, I just want to be sure because I won my M-80 through eBay auction for such a low price of $102 for a brandnew un-open box.

Thanks

Best way to tell, as always with fakes, is to check the box. The band at the top should be a snake skin like texture, as with the snap flap. Open the snap flap and remove the ribbon to the the right. If there was no small red ribbon, the box was opened. After doing this you should be able to slide the cover off of the box pretty easily to reveal a plainer white box the only says cross fade on the front and veni vidi vici on the back. Check along the bottom on the back for the amplitude chart that is grey scaled behind the red line and spartan helmet. If the amplitude chart is easily visible and a high quality print then the headphones are real.

If the first way is too complex check the case too. Specifically the stitching at the top of the case where it says v Moda. Make sure the logo and text is centered and very easily legible and most of all, not crooked, if not then you have fakes. Also make sure the d connects to the a in the appropriate place, check the headband on the headphones and you'll know what I mean.

I honestly couldn't see a purpose or profit in making fake M 80s. The sound quality and build quality are too difficult to replicate, while still seeing profit. I think the guy thought the auction would go higher and you lucked out, they could be used or refurbished. Like I said check the little ribbon on the box.

Hope I could help!

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,868 of 2,828
I reported earlier this thread that the M-80 caused some discomfort on the top of my head after extended listening.
I just wanted to report that the problem was remedied by simply "pinching" the headphones at the top of the headband to slightly alter their shape.

I'm very happy to report that I can wear these headphones for 6 hours without discomfort.  That's as good as my Denon D2000s which are highly regarded for their comfort.

The ability to mold the V-MODA M-series as necessary is fantastic.  These headphones combine world-class sound with an extreme level of portability that culminates in what I consider the best portable headphone on the market.  They require no amp, batteries, and very little space to store along with an over-engineered design that will last until you're done with them, all for less money than other portable cans.

I guess you could call me a fan.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,871 of 2,828
I reported earlier this thread that the M-80 caused some discomfort on the top of my head after extended listening.
I just wanted to report that the problem was remedied by simply "pinching" the headphones at the top of the headband to slightly alter their shape.

I'm very happy to report that I can wear these headphones for 6 hours without discomfort.  That's as good as my Denon D2000s which are highly regarded for their comfort.

The ability to mold the V-MODA M-series as necessary is fantastic.  These headphones combine world-class sound with an extreme level of portability that culminates in what I consider the best portable headphone on the market.  They require no amp, batteries, and very little space to store along with an over-engineered design that will last until you're done with them, all for less money than other portable cans.

I guess you could call me a fan.

Couldn't agree more. V-MODA really hit a home run with the M-80 which is why I've been looking forward to the M-100 for several months now.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #1,872 of 2,828

Thanks

Best way to tell, as always with fakes, is to check the box. The band at the top should be a snake skin like texture, as with the snap flap. Open the snap flap and remove the ribbon to the the right. If there was no small red ribbon, the box was opened. After doing this you should be able to slide the cover off of the box pretty easily to reveal a plainer white box the only says cross fade on the front and veni vidi vici on the back. Check along the bottom on the back for the amplitude chart that is grey scaled behind the red line and spartan helmet. If the amplitude chart is easily visible and a high quality print then the headphones are real.

If the first way is too complex check the case too. Specifically the stitching at the top of the case where it says v Moda. Make sure the logo and text is centered and very easily legible and most of all, not crooked, if not then you have fakes. Also make sure the d connects to the a in the appropriate place, check the headband on the headphones and you'll know what I mean.

I honestly couldn't see a purpose or profit in making fake M 80s. The sound quality and build quality are too difficult to replicate, while still seeing profit. I think the guy thought the auction would go higher and you lucked out, they could be used or refurbished. Like I said check the little ribbon on the box.

Hope I could help!

Well almost everything you describe for an original M-80 are there though does the ribbon have a tied knot?

Also the other reason I doubt if it's brand new/original because I've read that the foams has a wear-in time to adjust in you head but the moment I fit it in my head it felt perfect then foam is soft.

SQ are great, I asked my dad who is an experienced audiophile to give his impression about the M-80 and he gave a positive review except for the highs which he said it was a bit thin in his ears.

Thanks

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,873 of 2,828
Quote:
My head is fairly large (most helmets and hats don't fit me properly) and these fit me at their second largest setting.

that's good to hear as i basically blind-ordered them in a fit of passion(?). well, not really blind as there's so many good reviews here. doesn't really fit what i think is my preferred signature of clear and bright but i kinda wanted to have a fun portable on-ear and these seem to have an overall great sound quality.  was under the impression these were decent bass performers and would shine on electronic/hip-hop; guess that's not the case but i'm still hoping they satisfy!

kinda getting frustrated with sensitive fitting quirks of IEMs tbh (returning the gr07 as it had great sound quality but there was some driver flex on right earbud and i was having issues getting a good seal on them.  also seems like the build quality's not up to snuff for a $150+ IEM.  may try it again at a later date.)

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,874 of 2,828
Quote:

that's good to hear as i basically blind-ordered them in a fit of passion(?). well, not really blind as there's so many good reviews here. doesn't really fit what i think is my preferred signature of clear and bright but i kinda wanted to have a fun portable on-ear and these seem to have an overall great sound quality.  was under the impression these were decent bass performers and would shine on electronic/hip-hop; guess that's not the case but i'm still hoping they satisfy!

kinda getting frustrated with sensitive fitting quirks of IEMs tbh (returning the gr07 as it had great sound quality but there was some driver flex on right earbud and i was having issues getting a good seal on them.  also seems like the build quality's not up to snuff for a $150+ IEM.  may try it again at a later date.)

If that's your preferred sound signature you might be a bit disappointed by the M-80s at first but I'd recommend just using them for awhile before you judge them.  Brightness and clarity aren't really the best words I'd use to describe these, but they do have clarity in their own way (some sort of clarity in the midrange somehow).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back