V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jul 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,802 of 2,828
Just a few thoughts on my M80s...especially as I wait on the M100 to come out!  I have had mine for about 2 months now maybe a little longer and they have been on my head everyday for an hour or more.  They have become almost my only headphone...although the LP and LP2's have been on and off also. 

I have really enjoyed these headphones quite a bit.  The detail is quite good!  Last night I was listening to Page and Plant Unledded and I heard something that really made me stop and admire these M80s just a little bit more.  "Friends" started playing.  In the beginning of the song there is a solo being played on a Ney.  As I was listening, I could hear the player taking breaths between notes.  I have very easily listened to this album and or the DVD well over 100 times since it came out.  Possibly over 200 times.  I have never heard this before....ever.  Now it is possible that I have heard it and just not been paying attention enough to hear it.  What's even better is that I had the volume on my walkman set to 9.  Now you have to take this with a grain of salt...because I do use the EQ on my Walkman.  So this adds probably 6 to 10db?  Not really sure because I don't have a way to measure that.  But it's still at a pretty low volume either way.  That kind of detail really keeps the M80 at the top of my headphone list! 

I also noticed last night that these really do block out a good deal of noise.  I had them on and was using my electric shaver and it occured to me that I really didn't hear the razor at all.  I mean you could hear it, but it in no way impeded on my music.  That was with the razor right at the top of my jawbone, so it was within an inch of the headphone. 

And a couple of weeks ago I made a rather unfair comparison of the M80 to the LP2.  I have not compared the M80 to my LPs.  My wife stole the LP shortly after I got the purple shields.  And I have to say, I didn't mind her stealing them.  She's quite sexy with the LP's and purple shields on!  I digress.  I can definitely say that I like the LP2 over the LP.  When I first got the LP it had a hollow-like sound to them.  That did calm down a bit after some road time, but it was always there just a little.  It was like being in an old WWII tin storage bunker!  The sound just bounced all around.  The LP2 has better mids.  Perhaps tuned a little bit more for mids.  No where near the M80, but it's pretty good.  But strangely, Country sounds really good on the LP2.  Maybe it's the quality of the mixing?  Not sure.  Country tends to have some pretty slamming bass lines and the vocals are very much in the forefront.  But anyway back to the M80 and LP2 quick comparison.  I was actually listening to the LP2 at the time and Boston's "Peace of Mind' started playing.  I really love this song and I really love the heavy bass lines in it.  But what I noticed was that the LP2 just could not keep up with the speed of the bass line.  The bass on the LP2 I think is really great, but I don't think it's designed to separate a bass line like that of Peace of Mind.   So that got me wondering how the M80 would compare. 
Hands down the M80 was easily up to that challenge.  If you're a bass player (i'm not, but am a guitar and drum player for hobby) you would easily be able to pick out the notes of the bass line.  They did not bleed over at all on the M80.  They did tend to blend together on the LP2. 

All the while I am able to pick out the detail at a low volume.  That's really important to me.  I spent all of my teens and 20s abusing my hearing.  I am very fortunate that my hearing is still very good.  But I don't want to listen to music at loud volumes to hear great detail anymore.  I really think that's what got my started on blasting my music to start with.  It was easier to hear what Eddie Van Halen was doing if I had the volume on my cassette player at full blast!!  Sure glad we have moved on from the Walkman cassette player to my Walkman MP3 player!   hahahahaha. 

Anyway.   Not posting a full review here, but did want to share a couple of thoughts on how great I find the M80 to be.  As with all headphones, they will not be for every set of ears out there, but for me personally they are one of the best on my wall.  If I didn't own the Edition 8 they might actually be my favorite.  But out of the 30 or so I have hanging on my wall of fame...they easily rank in my top 3. 

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the M100 when they come out.  But that's a different thread. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,803 of 2,828
Ah OK I gotcha thanks for letting me know about some of the issues people have had.
I never use the mic, I just use the controls for my iPod Nano so mic placement and wind noise in it are nothing I'd ever notice.
And I guess I'm used to the controls being where they are, having had plenty of ear time with the B&W P5, where they're similarly located.
The M-80 controls are nicely staggered, so the center button is recessed, making it really easy to operate without looking at it.  It's a huge issue with the P5's nicer looking, though functionally inferior, design.  I think the M-80 iPod controls are in the perfect spot on the cable honestly, being right handed.  With the cable connecting to the left cup of the headphones I keep my iPod in my right pocket, and my hand just naturally falls into place where the iPod controls are on the cable.  It really is just right for me hence why I was asking.
So I guess I won't be "upgrading" any time soon.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,804 of 2,828
The P5 is just 'okay' vs the M-80s. IME and IMO, the M-80 not only looks better than the P5s (more industrial, discreet and badass simultaneously and less... Apple if you will), the P5s were like a vice grip to my ears. Don't know if this was your experience but it was no comparison on comfort the M-80s are much easier on the ears. And if they're not you can always adjust them. The SQ is also a lot better on the M-80s, more detailed and less muffled IMO. While the P5s have a unique sig to them, I just couldn't get used the the vice grip (although probably great for isolation) and the lack of overall detail.

My 0.02.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,805 of 2,828
Sound is no comparison between the P5 and M-80 but I'm talking about the mic/control placement on the cable and how I was used to that on he P5, and why I like the placement on the M-80 before the change to the split mic.  Just used to it.  The M-80's controls are FAR easier to use and I think they'll last longer.  The P5's seemed to favor a sleek Apple-like design without factoring in long-term use.  The buttons on it travel less than 1mm and you can't even tell you pressed it until the iPod responds.  It's also a cylinder with no defined buttons, and if you don't happen to grab it the right way the buttons won't press.  Like, the cylinder is hinged in the center and half of the entire cylinder moves like a see-saw almost.  It's hard to describe but if you saw it or used one you'd understand.  I just can't shake the feeling that those P5 controls are destined for failure one day.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,806 of 2,828
I think I sort of remember those controls yes. That cable on the P5 in general seemed extremely cheap for $300 headphones as well. And I agree, the buttons on the M-80 are very conveniently placed and shaped. Very instinctual to use.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,807 of 2,828
The only problem I really had with the three-button remote on my M-80 is that the middle button sometimes didn't make contact properly, it's probably defective.  But the customer service wanted me to cut the cable in half and send them a picture of it to them for them to send me a replacement!  While definitely a very nice thing of them to do, I don't think I could bring myself to cut the cable. :p

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,808 of 2,828
Quote:
The only problem I really had with the three-button remote on my M-80 is that the middle button sometimes didn't make contact properly, it's probably defective.  But the customer service wanted me to cut the cable in half and send them a picture of it to them for them to send me a replacement!  While definitely a very nice thing of them to do, I don't think I could bring myself to cut the cable. :p

Mine was like that at first.  As you use it more, it loosens up and starts functioning properly :)  

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #1,809 of 2,828
I don't know how closely Val follows this thread, but I'm wondering if there's a timeline on the new colors showing up for the M-80.
I'm also wondering if it's an option to send in my stock shields to be custom engraved.  It seems pointless to buy new shields if I end up choosing black.
I got an awesome design but I want to see the new colors for the M-80 before I decide if I want to stick with black or not.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #1,810 of 2,828
You can't send in your shields.  I had asked that after I got my LP2s.   They come with gunmetal gray shields and I wanted to put a design on them.  You have to buy new shields if you want the design. 

Quote:
I don't know how closely Val follows this thread, but I'm wondering if there's a timeline on the new colors showing up for the M-80.
I'm also wondering if it's an option to send in my stock shields to be custom engraved.  It seems pointless to buy new shields if I end up choosing black.
I got an awesome design but I want to see the new colors for the M-80 before I decide if I want to stick with black or not.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #1,811 of 2,828
Okay, I've got one big question for anyone who can answer.  What are the M-80s like coming straight out of an iPhone 4 and with jazz and/or jazz fusion (definitely more modern stuff like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones or Hiromi, not the old classics like Louis Armstrong or Ella Fitzgerald)?  I am almost entirely set on buying these, but I am dying to find out what these are like for jazz.  And if my suspicions are correct, and the treble on these phones don't do the jazz genre justice, will adding a VAMP make a "hugely significant" difference?  Obviously, if not, then $600 is a lot to make just a small difference...

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #1,812 of 2,828
I think they would be great for Jazz.  The separation is good...they will be able to keep up with the faster bass lines with no issue as well as handling all the great drumming that you usually get from a good jazz band. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,814 of 2,828
Quote:
I think they would be great for Jazz.  The separation is good...they will be able to keep up with the faster bass lines with no issue as well as handling all the great drumming that you usually get from a good jazz band. 

Perfect! Thanks!  I'm waiting on just a few more verifications of this, and then I'll order my pair.  Super Excited!

P.S. Is there a thread on here where everyone has posted pics of their designs on the M-80 (or other crossfade models) plates?

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,815 of 2,828
Quote:

P.S. Is there a thread on here where everyone has posted pics of their designs on the M-80 (or other crossfade models) plates?

A thread has been made:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616990/v-moda-shield-design-discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back