V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Dec 28, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #676 of 2,828

Quote:
Has anyone used the M-80's with the Z02 yet? I want more bass and I was going to buy LP2's, but I will put that on hold if the M-80's sound even better/bassier w/Z02s and my iPhone 4S.

Yes and it sounds like mud.  It is the Zo2s fault though.  I quickly returned mine.  I have not heard the Zo but from some online response, the Zo sounds much better.  The Zo2 doesn't sound clean, even with zero mix.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #677 of 2,828

Quote:
Yes and it sounds like mud.  It is the Zo2s fault though.  I quickly returned mine.  I have not heard the Zo but from some online response, the Zo sounds much better.  The Zo2 doesn't sound clean, even with zero mix.

Shouldn't that be fixed with the Z02 Rev3? I read 2 brief reviews saying that it improved the bass a bit, but they didn't get into detail.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #678 of 2,828
Truthfully I never believed in the Zo.  My brother got me to try it even though I was skeptical that a electronic device can make a mechanical device do what it wasn't design to do.  After sending the Zo2 back, I never followed up on the Zo since.  We are straying from the topic now.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #679 of 2,828

Quote:
Has anyone used the M-80's with the Z02 yet? I want more bass and I was going to buy LP2's, but I will put that on hold if the M-80's sound even better/bassier w/Z02s and my iPhone 4S.

M-80's + ZO2 = Drool.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #680 of 2,828
So...I've really wanted to buy a Vmoda M80, especially after lots of time at home during the holidays. Open headphones are just not going to cut it at home!

And yet money is tight. So I found a discount ($20 off $175) at Radio Shack through a coupon site, utilized my old fat wallet account, and bought 9 (!) different gift cards online from ebay and other online sites (w/ amounts ranging from $10-30 and some including some weird balances). If all works out well, I should get it in a couple days for a total of $166.33. Not a huge savings...but its something!

This is not so much a testimony to my "tightwadness" but my trust in the myriad of reviews from lots of headfi contributors and administrators.

And by the way, so nice to see a company putting money where its mouth is with this warranty!

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #681 of 2,828

Quote:
Truthfully I never believed in the Zo.  My brother got me to try it even though I was skeptical that a electronic device can make a mechanical device do what it wasn't design to do.  After sending the Zo2 back, I never followed up on the Zo since.  We are straying from the topic now.

Quote:
M-80's + ZO2 = Drool.

Semper, can you please expand? Will it increase Bass impact w/o it sounding muddy and adding distortion? Could you comment on what sunnebear has said?

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #682 of 2,828
Hi,

Just recently purchased the Klipsch Mode m40 and I can't get used to them. They seem cheap (even though they cost £299) and the soundstage doesn't beat my Ultimate ears triple fi, IEMs. I also feel they are far too bulky to wear on the way to work. I wonder whether people think the M80 may be a better replacement for my ultimate ears and whether they are comfy to wear on a walk to work?

Also would the replacements plates for the crossfade LP fit the m80, As they are more avaliable on the vmoda site?

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #686 of 2,828
I decided to go with some full sized cans for now (Sennheiser HD 558). Maybe when i get a job/sell some stuff you'll see me back in this thread. I do want some good portables. Just waiting for the opportunity not to make another impulse buy which I did with the Senns. I actually do have the money for the M-80s, I just need to spend it on more important non head-fi things like my truck 
frown.gif
 Oh well, I'll be back, still keen on trying these bad boys, they look soooooo awesome!

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #687 of 2,828

Quote:

Semper, can you please expand? Will it increase Bass impact w/o it sounding muddy and adding distortion? Could you comment on what sunnebear has said?

I don't find it muddy or hear any distortion.  I only crank the smartvector a couple of notches because any more and the bass gets too thick for my taste.  This is with the M80's.  If you're a basshead, then I think you'd be just fine with it.  

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #688 of 2,828

Quote:
I don't find it muddy or hear any distortion.  I only crank the smartvector a couple of notches because any more and the bass gets too thick for my taste.  This is with the M80's.  If you're a basshead, then I think you'd be just fine with it.  

Thank you for your reply.

1. So they do give a noticeable vs. slight increase in controlled/quality impact? Do you have ZO2 rev2 or rev3?

2. And if you crank them up all the way will they still sound good?

3. Is it worth the $100?

I'm a basshead and I'm looking to purchase the hardest hitting, bass-heavy headphones in the future. I want the bass of the V-Moda LP1/LP2s so if these help the extremely portable M-80s, then I'll be happy.
So I doubt the M-80s w/the ZO2 would get too bassy for my liking.

I'm contemplating between buying the ZO2 Amp or V-Moda LP2s first.
If I can have a set of cans that exceed the quantity/impact of bass in the Beats Studios, then I'll be happy.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #689 of 2,828

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

1. So they do give a noticeable vs. slight increase in controlled/quality impact? Do you have ZO2 rev2 or rev3?
I have rev 3.  With LP2 and smartvector all the way up, the bass rattles my eardrums.  I don't hear distortion but it's a bit muddy.  With M80, the sound is more clean but the bass doesn't have the impact of the LP2 but sounds better.  

2. And if you crank them up all the way will they still sound good?
With the M80, I think it still sounds good.  LP2, not as good because the bass gets to be too much, it literally vibrates my ears and the sound isn't as clear as M80.

3. Is it worth the $100?
If this is your first experience with ZO, then yes.  I have the original ZO, so this iteration doesn't wow me like the first one did.

I'm a basshead and I'm looking to purchase the hardest hitting, bass-heavy headphones in the future. I want the bass of the V-Moda LP1/LP2s so if these help the extremely portable M-80s, then I'll be happy.
So I doubt the M-80s w/the ZO2 would get too bassy for my liking.
In this case, you might be better off with the LP2 because it is bass heavy but to my ears, not the best bass I've heard.  Ultrasone Pro 900's would be the way to go.  Also, at lower volume, the LP2 and the ZO at max smartvector sounds good.  

I'm contemplating between buying the ZO2 Amp or V-Moda LP2s first.
If I can have a set of cans that exceed the quantity/impact of bass in the Beats Studios, then I'll be happy.
I am a bit of a basshead myself but I prefer quality over quantity.  If it was me, I'd go for the M80's matched with the ZO.  I've only auditioned the Beats Studios briefly so I don't remember how they sounded but I would assume they are closer to the LP2's than the M80's.  Impact/quantity wise, you might be happier with LP2 first and invest in the ZO for added bass at a later date.  I'm listening to the LP2 and ZO at a lower volume right now and I do like it quite a bit.  
atsmile.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #690 of 2,828
Thanks a lot Danny. That's exactly all the information I'm looking for!

It sounds like I can't go wrong whether I buy the ZO2 first or the LP2.

1. Does the M-80 w/Z02 and smartvector @ max come close to the LP2 w/o the Z02?

2. Do you have the Pro 900?
Someone referred them to me and after some quick research, they might be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of sound. Generally I'm assuming they would have heavy bass like the LP2 and the sound quality of the M-80!
I know they sound better than the LP2, but does it have equal or more bass?

I'm still looking for comparisons btwn the LP2 and Pro 900. My only problem is that the Pro 900 are a little big for portable use since I have a smaller head. They're also $100 (@ $300) more than I'm willing to spend.

It would be great if I found a place where I can test both the LP2 and Pro 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back