V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #107 of 1,668

1) Gaming, so I would like to know how the CFW 2s fare against the gaming oriented headphones/headsets. Would I be better off getting another pair of headphones?

2) Music since I commute everyday and travel a lot as well so having a pair of wireless headphones is a big bonus. For this purpose would these be better than Bose's QC35 or Sony's MDR 1000X ?

If you're going to use these, while wired, for gaming then they should be perfectly fine. But if you're going to use it wirelessly for gaming, I wouldn't recommend it. The issue with Bluetooth for gaming is that there is a noticeable audio delay with audio over bluetooth (you shoot your gun, then a split second later you hear the gunshot). This can get very annoying. The only way to reduce this delay to the point where it is acceptable is to use AptX-LL (AptX Low Latency) which these headphones don't support.

While traveling, it depends how much ambient noise bothers you. The QC35 (which I've owned) and the 1000x (which I've used) will obviously cancel out ambient noise much better because they have ANC. However, sound quality does take a bit of a hit with ANC on. The question is, are you more bothered by the dip in sound quality, or are you more bothered by ambient noise? Personally, I consider ambient noise mixing with music "lower quality" than having ANC on. But to each his own.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #110 of 1,668
First review is up:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/v-moda-crossfade-ii-wireless-review/#/2

And another:

http://djbooth.net/dj-equipment/review/v-moda-crossfade-ii-wireless-bluetooth-dj-headphone-review-video

That DJbooth review seems more like a paid advertisement. The digital trends review made me happy and also worried. My biggest issue with V-Moda is how uncomfortable their headphones are after an hour or two. The XL pads made a difference on the M100, but only slightly for me. Was hoping these new earpads would rectify that somehow, but it doesn't appear they do. Still excited to get these. I've tried a bunch of other headphones recently and none match V-moda's fun audio signature. I just returned a pair of Sennheiser 598 Cs because their audio signature literally hurt my ears. I hope V-moda's new sound doesn't go too far astray of what I fell in love with. 

Looks like the wait time for these jumped a bit. When I ordered mine yesterday it said 2-3 days for fulfillment. Not it says 2-5 days. I assume that has to do with how they handle the custom shields that they're including. 

For anyone interested, Amazon just added entries for these but they're currently out of stock.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #111 of 1,668
I've been following CFIIW news since Jude and Val did the Head-Fi TV video and I think what wasn't clear in the video was that we should look at the CFIIW as an improved M100 with added bluetooth compatibility/connectivity and not just as a wireless headphone with a passive mode when the battery runs out. In my experience with wireless headphones, pretty much every BT headphone offers a wired mode and pretty much all of them sound worse in passive mode, They all(atleast the pricier ones) have DSP which is tweaking the sound in active mode and when the battery runs down they don't sound as good on the wire and this is where the CFIIW differs

From V-Moda's website

Hybrid Wireless + Wired - Enjoy the best of 2 worlds: virtually identical sound in wireless for freedom, wired when you run out of juice
Wired Hi-Res Audio Zero Latency - No powered EQ, artificial processing or colored sound that pollutes the audio and causes unacceptable latency for videos, gaming and DJ/music performance
Auto Analog Switch - Plug a cable in the jack to automatically switch off all battery and electronics to turn your Bluetooth headphones into a “zero latency” weapon for the win
Go the Distance - Pair your Bluetooth device and enjoy your headphones up to 30 feet (10 meters)
Simultaneous Device Pairing - Multitasking users can pair the headphones with two sources at a time, such as a smartphone and laptop for work or a smartphone and smartwatch for working out
15% Longer Battery - Bigger battery provides up to 14+ hours of music, unlimited hours in wired analog mode

The CFIIW can be used wirelessly or wired. In the latter configuration the V-Modas qualify for Hi-Res Audio certification from Japan Audio Society, meaning the frequency response of the brand-new 50mm dual-diaphragm drivers is a claimed 5Hz to 40kHz. 

All the buzz words are here, wireless, High-Res, "CD like" wireless with aptX but I still maintain that offering aptX only on the Rose Gold is a wrong move, it should be standard on every model. Not every body likes bling. 

I also think that the MSRP should have been 300$ with aptX since in the 350$ range you get ANC headphones which is a feature a lot of users appreciate and use. IMHO at 330$-350$ V-Moda are pricing themselves out of the competition.

For the vast majority spending 300$+ on a good pair is an investment and who would say "gee I won't buy the MDR1000X or a QC35 which offer more for 350$ and offer better battery life but I would go for a headphone that offers less".

Anyone who buys a good wireless headphone will mostly use it wirelessly at home and out and about and that is where the shorter battery life (14 vs 20-22 hours) and no ANC which is quick becoming a standard feature in sub 400$ wireless headphones works against the CFIIW.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not a V-Moda hater, I have an M100 which I enjoy very much but I do think that the CFIIW should cost less and V-Moda should offer aptX on all models if they want it to sell as well as the QC 35 or 1000X. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #112 of 1,668
and yes I know that the QC35 does not support aptX but it does offer ANC and a better  battery life whereas the 1000X offers all the bells and whistles for 400$ but I've seen it sell for 330$-349$ amazon fulfilled on amazon.com many times.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #114 of 1,668
I think the pricing is fine.
The original M-100 was $310 at launch. Yes, most places sold it for $299, but $310 was the launch price. CF2W is a better sounding, Bluetooth enabled M-100 with a new driver that is not only designed, but manufactured​, in Japan. $20-$30 more than the original it replaces is an incredible price.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #115 of 1,668
I think the pricing is fine.
The original M-100 was $310 at launch. Yes, most places sold it for $299, but $310 was the launch price. CF2W is a better sounding, Bluetooth enabled M-100 with a new driver that is not only designed, but manufactured​, in Japan. $20-$30 more than the original it replaces is an incredible price.

Plus when you order any headphones from V-Moda, they're giving you a free pair of extra shields, with a design

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #116 of 1,668

I also think that the MSRP should have been 300$ with aptX since in the 350$ range you get ANC headphones which is a feature a lot of users appreciate and use. IMHO at 330$-350$ V-Moda are pricing themselves out of the competition.

I don't think they're really pricing themselves out of the competition.  When the M-100's were out, they went up against the Bose QC25's for the same price.  The Bose headphones also offered more features (mainly ANC) for the same price but the M-100's still found their market.  The wireless Beats Studios were out at that time as well and they had even more features and could be purchased for around the same price (I think their MSRP was $380 but they were frequently on sale for $300).  But that's the main thing, V-Moda isn't going up against Beats or Bose with their products.  Sony made the MDR-1000X's to compete square against the QC35's.  I don't think V-Moda has released any of their headphones to go up against Bose and Beats.  If they did, V-Moda would have chosen to use more plastic making lighter headphones, spent a lot more on advertising, and feature their celebrity endorsements front and center.  Instead they have focused on audio quality and establishing their own sound signature while pushing the use of their headphones for DJ's.  The average consumer is definitely going to make the comparison that you did and that's fine as they are driven more by cost and brand recognition.  The average consumer will always purchase a brand they are more familiar with like Beats, Bose, Skullcandy, Sony, or JBL.  V-Moda doesn't have to compete with them.  Sure, you would get more technical features with the QC35's but you aren't getting the sound quality, durability, trade-in program (Bose did away with theirs), or customization options.  There are trade-offs and things that the CF2W's offer that the QC35's don't.

Quote:
And the antagonizing continues

As does yours, how ironic...

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #117 of 1,668
This is how I ordered mine. I had a pair in my cart with chrome screws but thought there was a possibility it might take longer to assemble with customized options aside from a faceplate so I made this pair with black ones instead

I'd like to see the images of the ones you guys assembled.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #118 of 1,668
I'm really curious to hear more about the new Japanese designed dual-drivers. The frequency range is really wide. The CEO also mentioned it's a faster dynamic driver. If these things have similar soundstage width to the MoFi but better sound and wireless with good isolation, I could be pretty interested. Really curious about the mids on these as well.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #119 of 1,668

It looks like The Chainsmokers have been using these new headphones for a while. (From their latest YouTube video.) Could be wrong but it looks like matte black.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #120 of 1,668
This is how I ordered mine. I had a pair in my cart with chrome screws but thought there was a possibility it might take longer to assemble with customized options aside from a faceplate so I made this pair with black ones instead

I'd like to see the images of the ones you guys assembled.

Get the screws etc that you like. They do NOT assemble them for you. What they do is stick the headphones you bought in the box and then they also give you the shields you ordered along with the screws. You have to assemble it on your own. And let me warn you, the tool they provide is absolute garbage. If you don't have a good hex kit, borrow one. It's far too easy to strip the screws in the headphones with the tool they give you because whatever machine puts them in sometimes does so at an angle, which makes it tough to unscrew without a proper tool.

This is the kit the guy who does repairs at V-moda recommended to me. It works great for their shield screws and also is just a great overall kit for other things you might have that have tiny/irregular screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back