V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 30, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #122 of 1,668
 My biggest issue with V-Moda is how uncomfortable their headphones are after an hour or two. The XL pads made a difference, but only slightly.

Same issue for me. Not just pads, the cups just don't extend down enough which results in not reaching my ears fully, and a tight squeeze on the fully opened headband.

I just returned a pair of Sennheiser 598 Cs because their audio signature literally hurt my ears.

Same here. I had high hopes. Fit ok (clamped a bit tight, but opened wide enough for my large head to reach my ears fully and the pads were very comfortable. While their sub bass was fantastic and the high frequencies were decent, high mids had too much bite, and the sound stage was too narrow and they sounded cheap in that way.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #123 of 1,668

I find it funny... you can see his iem cables running out from underneath.. maybe uses the vmoda for extra isolation (or paid to)?

Probably just faders? Using isolating earplugs to avoid hearing damage onstage is common practice, maybe he is using IEMs as earplugs. I doubt V-MODA has the ability to pay somebody to promote, all their success so far was a community effort

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #124 of 1,668
I've read every review, article, and watched all the YouTube videos on these but can't bring myself to buy a pair of headphones that don't support AAC since they won't sound that great with an iPhone over Bluetooth. No amount of magic can make standard Bluetooth SBC worthwhile.

No AAC support on Crossfade Wireless 2 & a 4+ month wait for Forza Metallo Wireless which may also end up not supporting AAC. You guys are killing me. :frown:

They do look great though and I'm sure they sound great with a wire as well.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #125 of 1,668
I've read every review, article, and watched all the YouTube videos on these but can't bring myself to buy a pair of headphones that don't support AAC since they won't sound that great with an iPhone over Bluetooth. No amount of magic can make standard Bluetooth SBC worthwhile.

No AAC support on Crossfade Wireless 2 & a 4+ month wait for Forza Metallo Wireless which may also end up not supporting AAC. You guys are killing me. :frown:

How do you know they left it out? The CEO seems to publicly dismiss AptX because AAC and MP3 Are just as good or better at similar bitrates.

He even said he chose AAC in previous wireless designs. Then he said that the goal of these is to enable same experience both wired and wireless, with no DSP.

Then he said it has the latest Qualcomm chip, which has the ability to decode pretty much everything. Including AAC.

So in theory:
-CEO appreciates AAC & expects massive iOS customer base
-CEO has history of including AAC in designs
-Hardware/Firmware is in place
-CEO doesn't want to take a technical step backward with fresh new model that's supposed to be the company's near future sale maker

I really expect it will do AAC just fine

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #126 of 1,668
How do you know they left it out? The CEO seems to publicly dismiss AptX because AAC and MP3 Are just as good or better at similar bitrates.

He even said he chose AAC in previous wireless designs. Then he said that the goal of these is to enable same experience both wired and wireless, with no DSP.

Then he said it has the latest Qualcomm chip, which has the ability to decode pretty much everything. Including AAC.

So in theory:
-CEO appreciates AAC & expects massive iOS customer base
-CEO has history of including AAC in designs
-Hardware/Firmware is in place
-CEO doesn't want to take a technical step backward with fresh new model that's supposed to be the company's near future sale maker

I really expect it will do AAC just fine

I had the same reasoning initially, but V-MODA hasn't stated that it has AAC despite that being the #1 question on here and Reddit. I did email their customer support, so we shall see.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #129 of 1,668
This is how I ordered mine. I had a pair in my cart with chrome screws but thought there was a possibility it might take longer to assemble with customized options aside from a faceplate so I made this pair with black ones instead

I'd like to see the images of the ones you guys assembled.

Those look really amazing! I love the stealth look..do you know if yours have shipped yet? I had fiber shields, and forgot those would take longer

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #130 of 1,668

Does anyone know what's going on with the Forza wireless? They've been pushing the launch date out since January, and as of today 3/31, they still say they're going to be available in March.....maybe later today? :thinking:

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #131 of 1,668

V-MODA Crossfade Wireless had AAC, there's no reason why the version 2 won't.

This is misinformation. Please stop.

There is no word on the chipset used, so we can't make a conclusion that it is the same, just with added AptX for the gold model. All the electronics could be changed FWIW.

Until Val or somebody from support explicitly says it supports AAC as with the previous model, there is no information for sure. Val did not respond to any codec questions so far.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #133 of 1,668

I find it funny... you can see his iem cables running out from underneath.. maybe uses the vmoda for extra isolation (or paid to)?

I didn't realize that they used V-Moda headphones until I read an interview with them.  During the interview, they were asked what brand of headphones they suggest.  Their answer was:

> We have to give a big shoutout to V-Moda. We're not officially sponsored by them or anything, they just have been our headphones for three years now.

Other artists/bands use V-Moda headphones without being paid.  The Crystal Method are another band and they even shared a picture of a custom pair of Crossfade LP2's that they ordered when they were mixing their last album.  At this point I'm not sure if V-Moda is big enough that they're able to pay all the artists who use their products.

I had the same reasoning initially, but V-MODA hasn't stated that it has AAC despite that being the #1 question on here and Reddit. I did email their customer support, so we shall see.

Technically speaking, V-Moda hasn't confirmed that these work with standard SBC either or any other codec.  They haven't confirmed anything except that the rose gold ones work with aptX which could be standard aptX, aptX-LL, or even aptX-HD.  All the codecs that the rose gold version supports haven't been listed and the Qualcomm chip hasn't been identified.  However, it could be the same Qualcomm chip in the Metallo Wireless as those are listed as being aptX compatible too.  B&O has used Qualcomm chips in some of their headphones and those were both aptX and AAC compatible (at least the sales rep here told me they used a Qualcomm chip).  Either way, confirmation is needed.  Until then, we can't say one way or the other.  Luckily my phone supports aptX (up to aptX-HD) and I wanted the rose gold version anyway so it's a no-brainer for me.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #134 of 1,668
Still no movement on the shipping tracking :thinking:

This is the part that V-moda is still awful at. They don't communicate at all what is going on, which in turn infuriates/frustrates the consumer. My understanding is that our orders are now waiting for shipment, when in actuality what it's waiting for is the guy in New York to complete the custom shields and then ship them to California to be included in the box along with our headphones and then shipped together. Since they don't actually install the shields for us, I don't get why they don't just ship us our headphones when we ordered them and then the shields when they've been completed since that's the most time consuming part of the process. And before you say they don't do it because of the extra shipping cost they'd incur, remember that they have to ship those custom shields from the location of the artist on the east coast to the warehouse from where the headphones ship out on the west coast. Just ship the shields to the consumer!

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #135 of 1,668
This is the part that V-moda is still awful at. They don't communicate at all what is going on, which in turn infuriates/frustrates the consumer. My understanding is that our orders are now waiting for shipment, when in actuality what it's waiting for is the guy in New York to complete the custom shields and then ship them to California to be included in the box along with our headphones and then shipped together. Since they don't actually install the shields for us, I don't get why they don't just ship us our headphones when we ordered them and then the shields when they've been completed since that's the most time consuming part of the process. And before you say they don't do it because of the extra shipping cost they'd incur, remember that they have to ship those custom shields from the location of the artist on the east coast to the warehouse from where the headphones ship out on the west coast. Just ship the shields to the consumer!

I'm quite sure they don't ship the custom shields piece by piece, but rather in batches..maybe they don't even have enough logistics support in NY to ship to individual customers.

Regarding codec: would be very surprised if AAC is skipped this time. It was obviously easier and cheaper to integrate in the first generation than aptX, so I can't imagine any reason to leave it out now. Would interested to know what codec is used when connected to an AK380 via Bluetooth...

To me the much more important point is that there's no processing tricks involved to correct driver flaws, I.e. That it works even better when cabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back