V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 29, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #76 of 1,668
  I had a suspicion that was caused by my old notebook with — probably — outdated Bluetooth firmware, and it seems I was right.

You're welcome.  I wish I could offer more insight but I am no longer a Mac user or else I could give you more information like hardware numbers, firmware/software versions, etc.  I also thought I read somewhere that MBP's starting in 2013 or 2014 started supporting aptX so you might have an older model right before Apple started supporting it.
  I also remember aptX being dismissed by Val at the release of the CFW1 (and some questionable reasoning why the folding hinges were omitted). So I don't know if this aptX variant is a mea culpa, an olive branch, a sly way to get people to upgrade, or something else. As someone who is in both mobile ecosystems, I prefer flexibility in codecs, but I listen to music almost exclusively from my phone, not tablet. Going from my iPad Air 2 to my Samsung S7 (after I switched from a 6 Plus), there was a huge drop in quality, so I went to the Sennheiser Momentum 2s and don't see myself leaving anytime soon (namely for ANC).

It was originally dismissed because the CFW use AAC and Val's argument was that, at high bitrates (particularly 320kbps), AAC is audibly indistinguishable from aptX.  The main issue is that most Android smartphones don't support AAC over Bluetooth.  It's either SBC all the way (I'm looking at you Google) or different OEMs will add aptX (Samsung, Sony, Motorola, LG, and many others) or even their own proprietary format (like LDAC with Sony phones).  It was up to the OEMs to support it.  Android O is changing that and will support SBC, mp3, AAC, aptX, and even LDAC Bluetooth transmission on an OS-level and you'll be able to manually switch between the different codecs depending on what your audio device uses.

It is a little weird that aptX is only in the rose gold version only (which I actually like despite the negative criticism it seems to be getting across the board) but I think it's their attempt to reach out to Android users.  That's why your Sennheiser's sounded better with your S7, they use either SBC or aptX and not AAC.  When you paired the CFW's to your S7, they were using SBC.  However, they were using AAC with the iPhone and iPad.  It would be the other way around when using your Sennheiser's on your iPad though, they'll use SBC and sound worse than when paired to your S7.

As for the inclusion of a hinge now.  Well, things do change over time.  Just like every other OEM, I'm sure V-Moda was rushed into getting out a pair of wireless headphones and they did the best they could with the time they had.  It probably meant not including some things here and there but the CFW's weren't bad at all.  They needed some polish around the edges and that's exactly what the CF2's are.  A company can't put all of their eggs in one basket or else people won't have a reason to upgrade.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #77 of 1,668
  You're welcome.  I wish I could offer more insight but I am no longer a Mac user or else I could give you more information like hardware numbers, firmware/software versions, etc.  I also thought I read somewhere that MBP's starting in 2013 or 2014 started supporting aptX so you might have an older model right before Apple started supporting it.

Oh the irony. I know for sure that my Mac supports AptX, 100%, used it before. But it seems it does not support AAC at all :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #78 of 1,668
 I know for a fact in my area that the amount of people using apple devices are dwindling a little over the past few years due to the fact that I know many people that switched to Android phones and swear they will never go back to Apple phones. Apple has always been a company to try to do their own thing such as their IOS operating system while the majority of the other systems are using the same operating system. I have nothing against Apple except companies like that end up making Monopolies so I try to stay away from them as much as possible. I have a feeling that was what killed them in the 80's and then they were nothing for decades until they developed the iphone. I just think their products are quality yet overpriced and due to their IOS, once you go that route, then you have to buy the MAC and the ipad just to be compatable. See where I am getting at? Sorry for getting off course but this is why APTX should be available in all 3 colors. We are not all Apple users just like we are not all Android and Windows users and we seem to all like different things which is the prime example of why APTX should also be available in all three colors. I have compared other headphones that had APTX and some without it and the APTX sounded better by a decent margin. Even my in ears I use to cut grass that I paid $60.00 for has it! I did not buy the first Crossfade wireless because it did not have the cliqfold hinges on it which to me did not make sense except for the fact that there was going to be another model in about a year with it so I held off. I will not buy the Crossfade 2 until I get the all matte black with APTX because I am not 20 years old anymore so I do not want to wear them in public to say "Hey look what I have on", and I also don't live in some big city where you see a lot of loud and flashy things on people trying to express themselves for attention. I Own the M80, XS, and the M100's and love Vmodas products but I just can't make myself spend that kind of money on headphones unless I am completely happy with them. I own many, many headphones, some double the price of these, but my XS get used every night when I go to bed and they are the ones that I take out of town and on vacations. If I don't like the color choice, then I don't think I can fully like the Headphone. I have been waiting for this headphone for about 3 years now becouse I knew Vmoda could do it so please give us the APTX color options also! Plus, how hard can it be to for the factory to change a couple exterior color pieces to a different color on the assembly line? 

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #81 of 1,668
  Just wanted to ask again. Is there any change to how far the earpads extend to help these fit larger heads?

This is proabably not the best test.. but I put my m-100 up to the screen next to a pic and the curvature and size of the band seems to be identical. I don't see this having been updated in the comparison I attempted..

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #82 of 1,668
  Just wanted to ask again. Is there any change to how far the earpads extend to help these fit larger heads?

Based on what has been said, I don't think that has changed.  It's not listed as a change on their website and nothing was said in the video about it.  The earpads themselves have been changed and are 18% larger in volume (I think they're also 8% wider and 12% taller, I can't remember the exact specs listed on V-Moda's website and I can't find the page that listed them) but I don't think the headband or the attachments to the ear cups have been changed (except for making them fold-able).

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #83 of 1,668
I've never seen so much expressive and theoretical debate on something so miniscule. I wanted the Bluetooth for gym just to get my energy flowing. It'll work if tuned right. I've got a cable I can connect to my Hugo2 when I get it if I want better sound. Also bought the mic for gaming just to be rebelious Instead of buying new cables for my Astros as they're ridiculously priced cables and their even more outrageous shipping costs on something they can throw in an envelope and mail out. I'm not expecting the surround sound soundstage to be as vast and accurate as the a40 but whatever.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #84 of 1,668
I've never seen so much expressive and theoretical debate on something so miniscule. I wanted the Bluetooth for gym just to get my energy flowing. It'll work if tuned right. I've got a cable I can connect to my Hugo2 when I get it if I want better sound. Also bought the mic for gaming just to be rebelious Instead of buying new cables for my Astros as they're ridiculously priced cables and their even more outrageous shipping costs on something they can throw in an envelope and mail out. I'm not expecting the surround sound soundstage to be as vast and accurate as the a40 but whatever.

I don't think it's a miniscule irk. I'd say it's on par with say, the iPhone 7 only offering a 3.5mm headphone jack on their Rose Gold model at an extra surcharge. Sure, you can still dongle it with the Black and Silver models, but only Rose Gold gets the hole. That'll be $20 please.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #85 of 1,668

I use my m-100 daily for gaming and... the soundstage may surprise you (if its similar with the xf2 as it is with the m100 anyhow since they changed the driver).. I "soundwhore" footsteps to get the drop on people with no problems.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #86 of 1,668
I spent the last month or two researching headphones and came close to buying the CFW recently. Glad I got delayed, as it appears these are even better. Just ordered the matte black. Apparently you get free custom shields so I put a little Legend of Zelda flair on mine. Says they ship within 2-3 days. I'll post impressions when they arrive. Very happy to get these mainly because I heard V-moda makes no sacrifices with the wired sound, which I'll be using 90 percent of the time for gaming, music, and movies. The other 10 percent is wireless to an Apple TV 4. Love that these had the click-fold mechanism, which is one of the main reasons I didn't jump at the CFW.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #87 of 1,668
Your feedback on APTX is welcome. The thing is not enough source devices support it.

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_product_brand_tid=All&field_product_category_tid=126&field_aptx_type_tid=All

when it comes to Android it's pretty much everywhere and they outsell iPhones to a large margin worldwide. For windows there are a ton of transmitters for sale that supports Aptx that can be added via USB in case the built in chip don't. " Not enough source devices" is simply not correct.

BTW is the old Crossfade LP qualifies for the 50% trade in as well? It's in mint condition. :wink:

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #88 of 1,668
The discount is usually in the form of a coupon code that you enter on V-MODA's website. There's no way to use the discount with any other reseller.

For everyone lamenting the lack of apt-X on the Black/White models a $30 premium will give you apt-X via a dongle.

Not sure if that 3.5mm plug will fit the CFW2 though. If so, add another adapter and for $365 you can have whichever colorway you desire. For the crafty, there's always Rose Gold + black Sharpie and/or spray paint. Even electrical tape will do it.

I use this, which would plug directly into the HP no clip on and wires at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAQ5089/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #89 of 1,668
I spent the last month or two researching headphones and came close to buying the CFW recently. Glad I got delayed, as it appears these are even better. Just ordered the matte black. Apparently you get free custom shields so I put a little Legend of Zelda flair on mine. Says they ship within 2-3 days. I'll post impressions when they arrive. Very happy to get these mainly because I heard V-moda makes no sacrifices with the wired sound, which I'll be using 90 percent of the time for gaming, music, and movies. The other 10 percent is wireless to an Apple TV 4. Love that these had the click-fold mechanism, which is one of the main reasons I didn't jump at the CFW.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Also can't wait to read a few comparisons between the CFW and the CFW2

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #90 of 1,668
I use this, which would plug directly into the HP no clip on and wires at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAQ5089/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice! How does it sound? And does it come in Rose Gold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back