V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #46 of 1,668
There is one important question for Apple users I've seen asked a few times in this thread that hasn't been addressed:

Does the Crossfade 2 Wireless support the AAC codec? (Forza as well?) I get that it's an excellent wired headphone (M-100 sounds excellent with lossless, I can only imagine how CF2W sounds with Tidal Masters) and the wireless functionality is a bonus, but compression is too noticeable over SBC -- I even prefer AAC to aptX on a Mac personally. I'm assuming so since CFW supported AAC/AAC+. It'd make a lot of people happy to hear the full Bluetooth specs.

Probably. They're using all the current BT codecs and expect a lot of their people to use apple products. The CEO said that they designed the device to sound essentially the same via wireless as wired. There's no way that could be achieved on iOS sources if the device wasn't capable of decoding AAC audio. And it's a really simple thing to add these days. Practically industry standard.

AAC is arguably as good or better than AptX but it doesn't have an audiophile focused marketing engine so this comment will probably fall on deaf ears. :joy:

Sorry for the Dad Pun. :nerd:

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #47 of 1,668
Probably. They're using all the current BT codecs and expect a lot of their people to use apple products. The CEO said that they designed the device to sound essentially the same via wireless as wired. There's no way that could be achieved on iOS sources if the device wasn't capable of decoding AAC audio. And it's a really simple thing to add these days. Practically industry standard.

AAC is arguably as good or better than AptX but it doesn't have an audiophile focused marketing engine so this comment will probably fall on deaf ears. :joy:

Sorry for the Dad Pun. :nerd:

Agreed, AAC is better and I hear no compression when used with AAC files like those from iTunes/Apple Music. It's nice to assume, but I feel like it'd be something they'd advertise. I'm also assuming the new stock ear pads are more comfortable than the XL pads based on the descriptions here. XL pads are soft but they compress a bit too much for those of us that need a deeper fit.

Funnily enough the Momentum 2.0 Wireless (which I bought because I got a great deal) also sound outstanding with a wire and to a lesser degree with aptX, but I dislike the compressed sound over iPhone SBC. They do have a surprisingly bassy sound signature though, I'd venture to say even stronger sub-bass than the M-100 (the wired Momentum don't have the same bass extension). I want CF2W and Forza Metallo Wireless but that's a lot of money to justify.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #48 of 1,668
I feel like I'm about to throw up. I can't believe I just ordered these. The multi configuration aspect of it intrigued me and don't have any headphones right this second. I guess the 60 day return policy makes it better though.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #51 of 1,668
Your feedback on APTX is welcome. The thing is not enough source devices support it. So I'll listen to your feedback closely, but first let's get some in users hands and AB test!

Cables aren't going away, we are just using them more and more for different use cases. Like flying and commuting wireless is king. For musicians and audiophiles Wired still rules.

Regardless, it is very hard to tell the difference on codecs, and it doesn't help that you cannot find what it's using on IOS and even perhaps windows?, I think you will love the sound as there are a lot of other little items we made it for the best experience Wired or Wireless.

The microvAMP in Wireless mode sounds spectacular.
And for absolute best sound we still recommend an AMP or DAC. Our new REMIX makes a great amplifier and speaker.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #52 of 1,668
Your feedback on APTX is welcome. The thing is not enough source devices support it. So I'll listen to your feedback closely, but first let's get some in users hands and AB test!

Cables aren't going away, we are just using them more and more for different use cases. Like flying and commuting wireless is king. For musicians and audiophiles Wired still rules.

Regardless, it is very hard to tell the difference on codecs, and it doesn't help that you cannot find what it's using on IOS and even perhaps windows?, I think you will love the sound as there are a lot of other little items we made it for the best experience Wired or Wireless.

And for absolute best sound we still recommend an AMP or DAC. Our new REMIX makes a great amplifier and speaker.

You have a graph of the m100 v2? Someone can make it or a GREAT and extended review?
i can't listen m100, i am only can buy.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #53 of 1,668
I'm sure the microvAMP sounds wonderful as I'm a big proponent that wireless headphones can sound better than un-amped wired headphones with the same source material (such as 256kbps AAC, which the iPhone can transmit without degrading quality), though it's a disappointment if there's no AAC support since SBC sounds mediocre even on outstanding headphones.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #54 of 1,668
Why only one model with Apt-x?? Why?? 
mad.gif

Please tell me there are plans to add that feature for all the colors in the near future.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #55 of 1,668

Hey wow! The CEO of V-Moda in da house! Hey man, really respect your company and think you're doing a fantastic job producing headphones that are very innovative, stylish, wonderful sounding and very well built products. It's so easy for me to automatically recommend your brand over Beats. 

That said, I wasn't so much downplaying AptX as a codec but rather kind of trying to point out to the community that it's very well marketed while AAC isn't. I wish this well more well known and talked about in the industry. I imagine the Crossfade2 works with AAC, right? That's actually something you can sell! If it doesn't support AAC, what the heck? Missed opportunity by the design/engineering team. 

The point is that, the iPhone transmits audio in AAC first over bluetooth but switches to SMB when AAC is not available. It maxes out AAC at 320bits which should actually outperform most other codecs at the same bitrate.

Here are supporting links with AAC compression performance comparisons and articles talking about how it's not only better but how, honestly, AptX is just the android/windows equivalent and maybe actually underperforms for the same amount of data/computation.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/mp3-vs-aac-vs-ogg-a-simple-quantitative-comparison.2168530/
https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-best-AAC-MP3-VBR-V0-or-OGG-Vorbis

And more articles highlighting how AAC and AptX might be similar enough to call them similar enough to Windows/Mac or iPhone/Android or maybe BMW/Mercedes
http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/bluetooth-to-unitiqute2-apt-x-vs-aac
https://www.cnet.com/news/can-aptx-give-you-better-sound-over-bluetooth/

So, assuming AAC is enabled and able to perform at 320bit throughput, the iPhone should sound just as good - or better - than it's AptX enabled sister-wieless-source.

The reason I'm writing about this is because I got caught up in the whole AptX hype and researched into why Apple didn't support it. It's very unlike a company who puts great emphasis on audio products to completely skimp on an audio codec that doesn't take advantage of bluetooth's existing bandwidth. 

So after researching, I found the Apple defaults to AAC 320b just about an hour ago. And that this has been tested. But you know, no one really talks about if it's implemented in their products. And that's kind of weird, right? 

If the crossfade and its competitors use something like the Qualcomm CSR8675, it should work with a variety of codecs/sources - including iPhone's AAC audio at max bitrate throughput. 

Anyway, I'm very interested in your product and have been looking very much forward to the Blue Satellite with it's ANC and will be comparing with our Crossfade2.

I have to say, your price, weight, performance specs, design and overall presentation and super compelling. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #56 of 1,668

yes wireless is supported on the iPhone but I guess its SBC bluetooth codec and not AAC. AAC is apple's sort of version of aptX. AAC provides greater SQ than SBC. The AAC codec pulls iPhone listeners off SBC’s bottom rung and into SQ territory on par with aptX. Very few wireless headphones support AAC(mdr 1000X is one)

aptX is nice but VModa should have introduced aptX HD and not just aptX since Val talked about High-Res certification. I guess High Res certification only applies to the wired mode and not the wireless. 

I also want apt-x hd. I have this with my LG V20 and the LG HBC 1000. ATH is offering that codec in the new BT HP. I would certainly pay a premium for that in the beautiful black and white. The rose gould just looks "a little light in the loafers"

Will the shields from the original wireless crossfade fit? I have some 3D printed from a private lab and would like to use them if I decided to upgrade.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #57 of 1,668
Edit: looks like the above comment about very few brands outside Sony being AAC compatible might not be super duper accurate. Pretty good list of cans here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2497785,00.asp

At this point, since VModa competes in similar markets with these, I bet they have AAC? :no_mouth:

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #58 of 1,668

The specs for the Android. O include APT-X (and AAC) support. BT 5.0 does not include any native upgrade for audio compression. Apt-x hd is still the best choice as it is 24\48 native-ly. I can broadcast 11.8 DSF compressed using apt-x hd and it sounds wonderful. (Kleer is actually better but that went the way of betamax).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back