Using full sized integrated amp
May 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #347 of 353
Reviving this thread...........now I have only heard a Schiit Magni and a number of portables to compare, but the Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp I'm using (actually bought two of them) are AMAZING quality of sound, power and bass. Not even close.

More should try this before spending hundreds on headphone amps. I think you'd be surprised how good they sound.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #348 of 353
Reviving this thread...........now I have only heard a Schiit Magni and a number of portables to compare, but the Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp I'm using (actually bought two of them) are AMAZING quality of sound, power and bass. Not even close.

More should try this before spending hundreds on headphone amps. I think you'd be surprised how good they sound.

I can attest! My 1992 ish Denon 635R hp out is amazing-especially compared to the HP out of my Yamaha RX V657 (2005)

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #349 of 353
I can attest! My 1992 ish Denon 635R hp out is amazing-especially compared to the HP out of my Yamaha RX V657 (2005)

My Denon is outclassed by a Schiit Lyr hybrid tube preamp Class A SS amp- with great NOS tubes of course!

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #350 of 353
Guess I should clarify my much earlier point - the vintage receivers/amps took the headphone out signal directly off the amp, where the newer models use an opamp.  A case where the old tech/way of doing is much better.  All I run is vintage anymore and am amazed more don't try it (tho I do get the "there's no room for a 60 lb amp").  You get tone controls, loudness and they look cool..................

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #351 of 353
Guess I should clarify my much earlier point - the vintage receivers/amps took the headphone out signal directly off the amp, where the newer models use an opamp.  A case where the old tech/way of doing is much better.  All I run is vintage anymore and am amazed more don't try it (tho I do get the "there's no room for a 60 lb amp").  You get tone controls, loudness and they look cool..................

They do look cool! I believe my Denon ran through resistors-based on the improved dynamics and power as compared to my 2005 Yamaha. I think the Lyr simply outperforms it.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #353 of 353
Currently using a Vincent SA-31 preamp driving a Parasound HCA-800ii power amp with Vinyl Flat Can Openers between the speaker outs and my headphones.  I'm enjoying the setup more than my Woo Audio WA3.  The WA3 is no slouch but the Vincent/Parasound combination has a more spacious soundstage and greater detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back