Using an USB DAC or USB AUDIO INTERFACE to listen music.
Dec 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #16 of 27
Dec 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #17 of 27
Hi Sergey,

I will buy KRK, and I do not see any differences between G2 and G3. Maybe I am stupid, lol. Moreover, I have an idea. I am going to use my Corsair with KRK a the same time. It likes 4.1 speaker. How is about this? Indeed, I do not want to leave my Corsair SP2500 because it is my special gift of my girlfriend. :).

Best,
Justin.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #18 of 27
  Hi Sergey,

I will buy KRK, and I do not see any differences between G2 and G3. Maybe I am stupid, lol. Moreover, I have an idea. I am going to use my Corsair with KRK a the same time. It likes 4.1 speaker. How is about this? Indeed, I do not want to leave my Corsair SP2500 because it is my special gift of my girlfriend. :).

Best,
Justin.

I think after listening the KRK you will foget about this idea. Leave Corsair for something else - for gaming or .... I don't know...
Not a good idea to mix different level speakers for me. But you can try.:)

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #20 of 27
Hi Justin,

please post your imperssion after upgrade,
This will be interesting.

Best regards,
Sergey.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #22 of 27
Justin,

Just read your question and suggest one thing in particular: if you're using this device for playback (only) then you don't need one of these audio interfaces.  The two units you mention do both recording and playback.  A pure DAC is less expensive and better for just playback.

And just as importantly, the USB interface should be the newer "asynchronous" type.  This effectively re-clocks the digital input signal from the computer to give you a much smoother sounding analog output.  Neither of those units is new enough to have that so I suggest you keep looking!

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #23 of 27
  Justin,

Just read your question and suggest one thing in particular: if you're using this device for playback (only) then you don't need one of these audio interfaces.  The two units you mention do both recording and playback.  A pure DAC is less expensive and better for just playback.

A complete audio myth IMO, having owned fiio e7/9 combo and several audio devices under $300, I find the cheaper audiophile brands far less accurate.  You get more bang for your buck with audio interfaces as they are used to encourage you to buy/upgrade the free DAW software.  Most come with software like cubase protools ableton live demo versions hoping that you will later upgrade to the full version for another $3-500.  This means almost zero profit is made on the interfaces, and they often have superior quality DAC's than budget/ebay DAC's.  An interface has as little flavour or house sound, and aim to be almost flat in frequency response so "may" sound slightly different but its certainly not less detailed.

And just as importantly, the USB interface should be the newer "asynchronous" type.  This effectively re-clocks the digital input signal from the computer to give you a much smoother sounding analog output.  Neither of those units is new enough to have that so I suggest you keep looking!

Most audio interfaces will give far more detailed technical information, especially at this budget level, and when you consider they are designed for recording jitter and latency are highly important and considered as part of the design.  RME devices use custom drivers (approved by MS) and have some of the best spec's you can get on any external device, even compared to $2000+ audiophile DAC's. 

Simple answer is a interface will offer you just as good quality and more options, but you may pay a "slight" premium. Have a read of the ongoing thread regarding DAC's on the dedicated source components forums, its very interesting reading.

At the end of the day I would never spend more than 25% of my total budget on a DAC or interface other parts of the audio chain are FAR more important for playback

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #24 of 27
Good comments.  My thought on DAC cost was perhaps not stated well.  What I meant was that if Justin has $XXX to spend on a converter he could get a better DAC-only component than if the money goes for both a DAC and ADC as in an audio interface.  I don't disagree with your statement about cheap DACs at all but I may have misread his overall intention - his title seems to focus on just listening to music.

Similarly, your second comment also focuses on the recording aspect and, again,  I was focusing on the playback.  Asynchronous USB only relates to playback as far as I know.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #25 of 27
Hello, I know this is an old thread to revive, but it is very rare to find this point of view in this field of Audio NonSense.

I came down this route and learned my lessons the expensive way.

I started with passive speakers, consumer, so very expensive with all the bells and whitles. With a consumer AMP that did a gazillion channels. My cables where running all over the place, with more speakers than i could think of. The experience was much lower than the money I spent. The speakers had to be placed very far apart, I needed a dedicated room, etc etc.

I am now VERY VERY happy with a set of active monitor speakers, great value for the price, with front facing bass reflex ports so you could place them anywhere in your home and frequency response filters on the back so you could tailor to your room experience (I have a lot of windows in my room, so I had to tone down the bass).

This is the most important thing in my view now, functionality and pragmatism instead of pure sound quality. A lot of my friends come to me with mp3s and bluetooth to listen to. I personaly feel that the soundstage 2.0 response I am having with my 8 inch active speakers (8inch so that you can ditch the subwoofer) is MAVERVELOUS and better than the surround sound I was having with my 5.1 setup. I listen to the cinema on them and I am very happy.

I also learned the hard way going the DAC route, all the asus muses and soundblaster's and fiio's don't come close to the simplicity of an audio interface from motu, rme or focusrite. I have all my inputs outputs right there and I plug in the occasional iphone analogue output or guitar for fun. I also have my chromecast as analogue in for lossless over the air music streaming.

So Active Speakers (8inch, front facing bass port, fine tuning at the rear, balanced input for noise) :
Mackie MR8 MK3
Presonus Eris E8
JBL LSR308

Audio Interface with Optical Input and USB (for acting as a sound card for my TV output and PC) :
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
MOTU Track 16
RME Babyface

In case you need the Loud Perfect soundstage when your kids are sleeping, you should plug in the headphones, controlled environement for your ears, you will thank me :
Philips Fidelio X2

There you go, results of days of research, years of experience and thousands of dollars of trial and error. Ultimate flexibility and Quality way beyond what you would be able to hear.
Any decoding, format rendering or surround b**** can be done with the software side on the PC, it's much more flexible and when a new format comes out, you can change the software and not the hardware.

I know most of you will still have to pay the price to learn the lesson, but I tried anyway telling you my story.

Cheers

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #27 of 27
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD works as a USB DAC,  or as a USB/SPDIF and SDIF/USB interface. This device, essentially an external sound card, lets me play iTunes from laptop to home theatre for big sound stage. I can also use the unit to record internet music to DAT and CD recorders, as well as to digitize LP's. The X-Fi HD operates up to 24/96 and thus can deliver a hi-end experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back