1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Useless Stax O2mk1 impressions. Stax O2 rig on a budget $2300 total

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by wind016, Jul 26, 2011.
First

Back
1 2 3
Next

Last
  1. purrin
    I tried the Mk2.5s out of a few lesser amps (GES, SRM323, SRM-T1) and directly compared it to the Mk2. The Mk2.5 bass was a tiny bit more controlled (not as good as the Mk1), but the Mk2.5s did not seem to be more forward - OK, maybe a slight bit. The Mk2.5s did seem much easier to drive than the Mk2s though. Now I'm wondering if there are inconsistencies with the manufacturing process.

2. WilCox Contributor

Quote:

Good point.  My Mk2 is an SZ2.

3. Skanda
    this thread is just making me crave a stax rig more and more...

4. sydneyaudio

Quote:

Well, i have an 323s on the way (thanks Spritzer).
    I was going to pair it with a HE60, but missed out on the recent ones that have come up for sale. Having previously had a SR-404, I think its time to try the SR-007 .[​IMG]
    I am finding it confusing as to what to get as there seems to be huge discrepancies in the sound of the various iterations.
    Anyway, if anyone wants to sell there SR-007, drop me a pm.

5. wind016
    Quote:

Who's KG and can you explain what happened exactly?

They may be good for sleeping but I wouldn't risk it. The bed is a mighty dusty place so wouldn't that be really bad? And with the way I sleep, I'll probably end up waking up electrocuted with my arm punched through the drivers.

Quote:

Craving Stax is craving music. [​IMG]

6. Lil' Knight
    It's funny when we are talking about Stax stuffs without knowing who "KG" is. You should check the Chicago CanJam's impressions thread to have an idea about this.

7. wind016
    Are you all referring to THE Kevin Gilmore? Now I know his works, of course. =) 

8. spritzer
    Yup, it was Kevin's Omegas that were fried at CanJam when somebody spilled water over them and the DIYT2.

9. aRRR
    [​IMG]

10. Skanda
    are there any links to his writings?

11. purrin
  12. wind016
    I just turned on the Stax O2s again today. I left the DAC turned off and there is still hum which is most prominent on the right driver. I'm not sure if it's the transformer or my wall.

13. wink

Quote:
    Who believes in capital punishment?

14. deadlylover
    Quote:

You say somethin' about "death by stat amp"?  [​IMG]

15. maverickronin
    Quote:

Hook it up to a metal chair and blast "Ride of the Valkyries" maybe?

I'd be worried about the amp though.  Will it get seriously unhappy without a high enough impedance load?  What's the hand-to-hand impedance of the average human?

First

Back
1 2 3
Next

Last