Use a standard USB DAC with a Nexus 7 (step by step guide)
Oct 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 143
Great job, deserves a bump!

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 143
This is a very useful post. I've been doing a lot of research on how to get this working and also be able to charge a tablet and use a OTG USB DAC at the same time.

My plan is to use this for a tablet in my car. Right now I currently have an Alpine w910 head unit which has a burr brown DAC. I believe it has RCA outputs for front/back/subwoofer. What would be a good DAC to pair with a tablet for this type of situation? I'd preferably want to not take a step back in audio quality (and maybe even take a step forward).

Thanks,
bru

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 143
Does anyone know a way to enable this on the new Nexus 7 4.2 update yet?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #22 of 143
Quote:
Does anyone know a way to enable this on the new Nexus 7 4.2 update yet?

Not a Nexus 7 guy, but I am sure you can grab a 4.1.2 custom ROM and stick the mentioned kernel on top of that.  Pretty easy to do: download the ROM and flash it just like the guide says to install the kernel. Then install the kernel just like the guide tells you to.  Should work like a charm.  The kernel most likely will still work with 4.2 but I would check around before making that assumption or you may end up bricking your new toy...
Unless someone has a better suggestion, this is going to be my Christmas gift to myself and I'll ask a DAC 
dt880smile.png
.  Or maybe I could ask for both haha.

Some 4.1.2 ROM's:

• SmoothROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1899024
  • Stock Rooted: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2017574

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #23 of 143
OK, will do once I get a USB DAC, don't have one yet, and it will probably be a while, as the Nexus was my Christmas present.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #24 of 143
Quote:
OK, will do once I get a USB DAC, don't have one yet, and it will probably be a while, as the Nexus was my Christmas present.

I am pretty sure that's what I am getting.  After Christmas I will pick up a DAC, cable, and most likely a USB hub so I can play files off my 1 TB WD portable drive.  Or maybe I have no idea.  Family is really riding me for a list and I haven't found anything that I really want.  Pretty much anything I have shown interest in is way too expensive (maybe after I finish college 
biggrin.gif
).  

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #25 of 143
 Nexus 7 has upgraded to Android 4.2.1. When rooted (see first post), install the Faux kernel (v.0.12b11), and it works like a charm with Fiio E17. But you have to put in the usb wire before you start the N7. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #26 of 143
Guys ,i know it would be a little out of the thread purpose,but i have read some news about the possibility of a reducing price to 150 dollars in  March and possibly 99 (Shiit!) dollars in June,due to components being cheaper in the foresee months ahead.Do you find this infos reliable?I will be very happy to purchase a Nexus 7 from overseas,at the moment in Brazil the less you can find for a Nexus is 400 dollars.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #27 of 143
Quote:
Guys ,i know it would be a little out of the thread purpose,but i have read some news about the possibility of a reducing price to 150 dollars in  March and possibly 99 (Shiit!) dollars in June,due to components being cheaper in the foresee months ahead.Do you find this infos reliable?I will be very happy to purchase a Nexus 7 from overseas,at the moment in Brazil the less you can find for a Nexus is 400 dollars.

I hadn't heard that. Got Any links? I know ASUS plans on releasing a slightly cheaper 7" that will be quite similar to the Nexus 7, for $150:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29906-asus-leaks-ultra-cheap-me172v-tablet

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #29 of 143
Quote:
Yes for sure
nexus 7 news - Google Search

if it does not work try to search "Nexus 7 news" on google.

Great, thanks. This is really cool. The Nexus 7 just keeps getting better. I paid $250 for the 16GB at the initial release and its oh so worth that price. But $150 or $99.... wow. No one should not have a Nexus 7. :D

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 143
I have an Archos G9 101 tablet and USB DACS (My leckerton UHA4 just works with it) and USB speakers just work, little jittery sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back