USB vs Optical vs Coaxial (w/ converter) for Mac w/ Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
Apr 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

moonsetflies

Head-Fier
Hello, I did a search on the forums and am having trouble finding much info. I have the Grant Fidelity tubeDAC-11, and I am wondering what is the best way to hook it up to a 2011 Mac Mini Server or 2008 Macbook Pro laptop?

I see a lot of people who have PC's on the forums are using a USB to SPDIF converter, however, all newer Macs that I know of (including airport express) have a built in optical out hidden in the headphone jack.

The tubeDAC-11 has USB in, optical in, and coaxial in. I am not sure what is my best option here.

Currently I only have a USB cable to test it with, so I wanted to do some research before I invested in anything else.

Would a USB to SPDIF converter be pointless since the Mac's have built in optical out?

I have to do a run to one of the computers that is about 15-20ft, would that be a problem for optical or usb cables?

Thank you in advance. Hope this thread helps others with similar questions too!

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 7
I ordered a cable and im going to do an a/b test, will post my findings. I spoke to a couple people and it seems it would be better to just run an optical cable straight from the mac and forget about any kind of converter.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 7
[size=medium]You didn’t specify your source file preferences, but [/size][size=medium]Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 USB is capable of 24 bit/ 96 kHz & SPDIF is 24 bit/ 192 kHz.[/size]

[size=medium]Airport Express optical out I believe is limited to 16 bit/ 48 kHz (Redbook CD’s are 16/ 44.1)[/size]

[size=medium]Mac’s optical out capability is debated esp. depending on year & model. [/size][size=medium]Newer Apple product specs indicate 24/ 192, but some say this is misleading & 24/ 96 is maximum capability thru audio optical out:[/size]

[size=medium]http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Trouble-192khz-output-new-Mac-Mini-Benchmark-DAC1-HDR[/size]

[size=medium]Many USB/ SPDIF converters allow for 24/ 192 maximum capability (as well as potentially reduce jitter better than source components). There is debate on how much improvement is heard over 24/ 96.  I have tracks of both, but have not done a direct comparison (they both sound incredible). Some hear it, some don’t (a lot probably depends on ones own  hearing frequency response limits).[/size]

[size=medium]I currently run a 15 ft. USB extension cable from iMac to J Kenny MK2 USB/ SPDIF converter then a short RCA cable/ SPDIF coax to TubeDAC-11. Many sources say 3 or 4 meter max for USB cable to avoid drop-outs, but I have had no problem w/ a 5 m USB cable straight from iMac to TubeDAC-11, even streaming Spotify/ MOG material (even moved computer to A/V system, used a 1 m USB cable & noticed no difference sonically or functionality-wise).[/size]

[size=medium]Others prefer short USB cable & SPDIF coaxial cable with attenuators for longer runs. [/size]

[size=medium]Generally, optical toslink is not recommended for longer runs.[/size]

[size=medium]Consensus says locate dedciated music server/ computer close to audio system for best performance.[/size]

[size=medium]Still though, try out some cheap cables thru Monoprice, Amazon, etc. & see what works best for you.[/size]

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks very much to both of your for your replies. I ordered some cables through monoprice and am looking at some USB to SPDIF converters as well to compare all my options. Currently trying to decide between the Musical Fidelity V-LINK II USB to S/PDIF Converter and the Consonance 24/96 USB to SPDIF converter. I am just trying to eliminate jitter from my system. If you have any input regarding the choice between those two items I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks again for your replies.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 7
So how's it going? how's the sound compare? Planning to buy the tubedac-11 as well 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back