USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Jun 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,666 of 1,712

Quote:

It looks like either pot-metal or brass.  I dont know what the insulator is.  Teflon is best.

Only listening tests will tell.

STeve N.

I've emailed Real Cable to get the specs of the adapter about insulator, purity of the gold plating, and impedance of the thing.

By the way, if you know any other which could be possibly better, please let me know. I have searched quite a while to find another one that could be better, but I couldn't find any.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #1,667 of 1,712
Excuse me, but I am not part of the moderation team there. My status there is no different from yours. If you can not log on, I had absolutely nothing to do with it. So, complain to them, and stop maligning me, on every damn forum there is.

You can believe what you like. It won't matter, as you tend to only believe what you want. Even when it is wrong. Which is the root of the problem.

BTW, how is your little exercise at The Pub working out? Wish I could use a DVM, instead of a ton of gear, that cost $$$$$$$$ to measure this stuff. At least you learned enough from annoying me to know a DVM won't cut it.

Jocko

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #1,668 of 1,712

Quote:

The cable length required is more a function of the edge-rate, not the frequency.  Really short cables, say less than 7 inches eliminate most of the problems since the reflections come before the edge is sampled at the receiver.

Steve N.

What is so hard to understand about this? Slow rise times are going to be more prone to refection problems. The faster you make it, the shorter a line you can use.

Jocko

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #1,669 of 1,712

Quote:

IME, you dont really have to worry about later reflections if the line is reasonably matched, just the first one.

Steve N.

Even if it is not reasonably matched, the only one that matters is the first. Do the math: assuming you have an incredibly bad mismatch of 50%, on both ends, what do you get if you multiply 0.5 times itself, 4 times?

You get something that is 24 dB down. OK, enough to screw things up. I have seen some bad gear, but nothing that comes close to 50% mismatch. You would need to have both ends to be this bad. Sorry, not likely. Even with 30%, the second reflection is down 42 dB.

If you have a 30% or 50% mismatch, you are going to be unhappy, no matter what. Won't matter what reflection is mucking things up. It will sound like crud.

Jocko

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #1,670 of 1,712

Quote:
Even if it is not reasonably matched, the only one that matters is the first. Do the math: assuming you have an incredibly bad mismatch of 50%, on both ends, what do you get if you multiply 0.5 times itself, 4 times?

You get something that is 24 dB down. OK, enough to screw things up. I have seen some bad gear, but nothing that comes close to 50% mismatch. You would need to have both ends to be this bad. Sorry, not likely. Even with 30%, the second reflection is down 42 dB.

If you have a 30% or 50% mismatch, you are going to be unhappy, no matter what. Won't matter what reflection is mucking things up. It will sound like crud.

Jocko

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/449885/usb-to-spdif-converters-shoot-out-emu-0404-usb-vs-musiland-monitor-01-usd-vs-teralink-x-vs-m2tech-hiface/1635#post_6728175

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #1,671 of 1,712

Quote:
  What is so hard to understand about this? Slow rise times are going to be more prone to refection problems. The faster you make it, the shorter a line you can use.

Exactly.  The faster the edge-rates, the shorter the cable you can use also.  Instead of 1.5m, you can use 1.0m for instance.

The problem with faster edge-rates is that interim reflections can easily become problematic, such as on the board, transformers etc..

Steve N.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #1,672 of 1,712

Quote:

I missed that one. Only so many hours in a day, and so much trouble to stir up.

OK, more than one person has out up a pic of the Ol' Duke, when referring to me and using RCA jacks, for SPDIF. It became a joke, on those forums. I guess you have not seen any of those. I will remove it, if anyone is offended. However, I think I offend more people by speaking the truth and challenging people who cling to arcane beliefs. The ones they heard about from a buddy. Who read it in a magazine. Who wrote it because some salesman told them it was true.

Like 75 ohm RCAs............

Which, was the genesis of the Il Duce reference.

Jocko

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #1,673 of 1,712

Quote:

Exactly.  The faster the edge-rates, the shorter the cable you can use also.  Instead of 1.5m, you can use 1.0m for instance.

The problem with faster edge-rates is that interim reflections can easily become problematic, such as on the board, transformers etc..

Steve N.

There is the "no free lunch" compromise.

Of course, you can "fix" that problem by using a transformer with a shield between the windings! (Joking, of course.)

Jocko

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #1,674 of 1,712

Quote:
I missed that one. Only so many hours in a day, and so much trouble to stir up.

OK, more than one person has out up a pic of the Ol' Duke, when referring to me and using RCA jacks, for SPDIF. It became a joke, on those forums. I guess you have not seen any of those. I will remove it, if anyone is offended. However, I think I offend more people by speaking the truth and challenging people who cling to arcane beliefs. The ones they heard about from a buddy. Who read it in a magazine. Who wrote it because some salesman told them it was true.

Like 75 ohm RCAs............

Which, was the genesis of the Il Duce reference.

Jocko

Well, even if I would have used IMG code insertions in the posts you are reffering to instead of permanent avatar, in this way being more "politically correct", at least it makes more sense to me now.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,675 of 1,712
Audio-GD USBface:

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #1,677 of 1,712
I wonder how USB can power it ? But maybe the DSP is inactive if you don't use external power.

It should even give a better solution paired with audio-gd non DSP dacs.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #1,678 of 1,712
Always interesting to see inside another component.  The Audio-gd thing has a 50 ohm BNC output where it should be 75 ohms, and notice the wiring inside the box.  Totally negates any advantages of the BNC anyway......

You cannot tell anything about the USB interface from this picture.  It's an Altera PGA I think.  Not much in there.  I would think that USB would power it.  Look inside a Tascam US-144.  Lots more on USB power only.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #1,679 of 1,712
Has any one here tried Firestone's new Bravo? I have read good things, especially when paired with their Supplier PSU.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #1,680 of 1,712

Quote:

I like it when companies do comparisons for us.

I'm sure that Steve N. from Empirical audio would do an objective comparaison of his products.
floatsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back