USB to SPDIF converters shoot-out : EMU 0404 USB vs. Musiland Monitor 01 USD vs. Teralink-x vs. M2Tech hiFace
Jun 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #1,651 of 1,712

Quote:
Thanks slim, I just wanted to be sure.  Was it the self charging boxed version or the standard version with the external battery pack? (sigs are not always up to date)

USG

Mine is the boxed version.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter as far as the sound goes - they are both equivalent!

But the boxed version is much easier to use
k701smile.gif

Once again, many thanks for the mod jkeny, I have had many hours of wonderful listening thanks to your modded hiface
k701smile.gif
I personally wouldn't have been able to do the mods myself, so it is a great service you are offering for head-fiers (in my personal opinion).

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,655 of 1,712
Steve,
I re-read your excellent article again & I see that it nearly answers my questions. Here are my thoughts:

With a very short cable (possibly no cable even) the first reflection will likely return to the receiver before the significant decision time. Now it's next return will be very much diminished & may well be still before the decision window. You can see that what I'm saying is that with a very short cable is it not the 3rd, 4th or 5th reflection visit that will only hit the receiver during it's decision time & is this insignificant by then? 

With longer cables does the recommended length not change with the different speeds 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192? So how do we calculate a cable length that can deal with all these speeds? Does the short cable not answer this?

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #1,657 of 1,712
@Wotam

That's pretty cool! What did you use to make sur ethat it is precisely 75 ohms?
I see that you made one for the Musiland but can you make one for the hiFace?
What components did you use and where did you get them?
Would you be able to make a T-Pad attenuator 10dB, 75 ohms instead with male BNC plugs?

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #1,658 of 1,712

Quote:
  Steve,
I re-read your excellent article again & I see that it nearly answers my questions. Here are my thoughts:

With a very short cable (possibly no cable even) the first reflection will likely return to the receiver before the significant decision time. Now it's next return will be very much diminished & may well be still before the decision window. You can see that what I'm saying is that with a very short cable is it not the 3rd, 4th or 5th reflection visit that will only hit the receiver during it's decision time & is this insignificant by then? 

With longer cables does the recommended length not change with the different speeds 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192? So how do we calculate a cable length that can deal with all these speeds? Does the short cable not answer this?

The cable length required is more a function of the edge-rate, not the frequency.  Really short cables, say less than 7 inches eliminate most of the problems since the reflections come before the edge is sampled at the receiver.

Steve N.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,659 of 1,712

Quote:
 Steve, what do you think about using an RCA to RCA male adapter plugged directly into the DAC instead of using 1.3m good RCA cable like the Oyaide DR-510? I quickly went through your link and will read it thouroughly.

This can be beneficial if your S/PDIF cable is a cheap one.  If you have a really good one, the cable can actually be beneficial in a 1.5m length.  These adapters are usually pretty bad, steel with bad plastic insulators and poor contacts.

Steve N.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #1,660 of 1,712

Quote:

The cable length required is more a function of the edge-rate, not the frequency.  Really short cables, say less than 7 inches eliminate most of the problems since the reflections come before the edge is sampled at the receiver.

Steve N.

Yes but the idea of the long cable is to have a specific discrete length(s) calculated such that the 1st reflection returns to the receiver in between decision windows (the current one & the next one). DO these decision windows stay fixed in the time domain with different datarates? i.e is the time period between the decision window for 44.1KHz the same asfor the 192KHz speed?

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #1,661 of 1,712
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #1,664 of 1,712

Quote:
 Yes but the idea of the long cable is to have a specific discrete length(s) calculated such that the 1st reflection returns to the receiver in between decision windows (the current one & the next one). DO these decision windows stay fixed in the time domain with different datarates? i.e is the time period between the decision window for 44.1KHz the same asfor the 192KHz speed?

IME, you dont really have to worry about later reflections if the line is reasonably matched, just the first one.

Steve N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back